cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Older 7.3 Deisel vs. Newer Ford Engines

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 94 Ford F250 4wd 7.3 diesel, Which I have pulling our 30' Newmar 5er for the last 5 years. The wife is wanting a newer truck wheather it be diesel or gas. I want to hang onto the work horse that I have. Sure, it slows way down going up a grade. Am wondering what everyone else would do. :?
1994 Ford F250 4 Wheel Drive Deisel
1991 NewMar Kountry Star 30'
73 REPLIES 73

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
There is no doubt the 7.3 was a real beast, great at just about everything, except fuel economy.

The new trucks certainly ride better, they still ride like trucks, but less so then the old ones. They also certainly have better creature comforts.

Something I have wondered at, a complete rebuild (engine, trany, rear-end, cabin, seats, A/C, everything) vrs driving away with a spanky new truck. Which would actually cost less?
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
My 1994 IDI non-turbo diesel was adequate for plowing snow around the 'hood but as far as towing anything as large as 'The Beast' or larger fahhgettaboutit. That motor without boost was a sled. Dependable, but still a sluggish sled. I love my stock 6.0L. I monitor all engine functions and it will tow circles around a 7.3L
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
Dannyabear1 wrote:
The older trucks had 'real' numbers as far as payload; try putting the listed payload in a new one and you will find you need air bags most of the time; it's an advertising game.
This is not true atleast with my 2011 f350 6.7.. I have had 3k in the back and dont come close to overload springs.My 2002 7.3 diesel would squat like crazy.There is no comparison.The new 250 does squat,they dont hacpve the same springs as 350.This new truck is a beast in everyway.Pulls my 14-15k fiver effortlessly.

To the O.P.Dont drive a 6.7 unless you are willing to buy one.You will fall in love with it immedieatly.I had a 2002 7.3 with 95k on it.Mint cond.Sold it the day after I drove 6.7. Truck is a dream.Once you tow with it you will see the huge difference.I get 12-14 towing 15k.

Cauzin_Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
arkansasrunner wrote:
I have a 94 Ford F250 4wd 7.3 diesel, Which I have pulling our 30' Newmar 5er for the last 5 years. The wife is wanting a newer truck wheather it be diesel or gas. I want to hang onto the work horse that I have. Sure, it slows way down going up a grade. Am wondering what everyone else would do. :?
I was worried when it came time to update from my 2000 F250 PSD with the 7.3L diesel.. especially after I found out that they are not putting the standard transmission in them. After driving and testing out this 2011 Ford F250 6.7L .. auto transโ€ฆ I was hooked.. it pulls my big 40' Sundowner 3 horse trailer with full living quarters like there is nothing back there. That includes when I have it loaded with 3 horses, hay, feed, tack and camping gear. Diesel is so quiet you can stand right there at the engine and talk. It is awesome! I avg. anywhere from 18-24 on the I-state when traveling not hauling, between 14-20 when hauling, depending on the load, location and my speed. Avg. mpg just around home traveling back and forth to work and so forthโ€ฆ 16-20 mpg. I love itโ€ฆ Just don't take it to the Ford house for them to change the fuel filters without a $$ first! lol
My treasures do not chink or glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
My 7.3 (1992) only had 180hp off the factory floor but she just keeps chugging along and gets 20-22mpg. I think the reliability and fuel efficency is where the 7.3 gets the love.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
I think you owe it to yourself to drive one of the new Ford's, gas or diesel, and then decide.

X2,

While the 7.3 has a stellar reputation and was quite a beast in its day. The 7.3's reign as king is over. Its performance does not compare to any of the modern diesels.
While overall the 7.3 is still capable of getting the job done, the 7.3 and the 4 speed tranny it is connected to have both become dinosaurs.
The payload ratings of 7.3 era trucks are anemic compared to the modern day diesels.

Not sure the 7.3 was ever king, they are probably still one of the most dependable out there still today, hardly dinosaurs ,and highly sought after. Can't tell you exactly how many offers I have had on my 99 SuperDuty 350 SB CC . Try to find a fairly low mileage 99-early 03 7.3 Lariat SB CC 350 and let me know how it goes, and then tell me what the price tag is . I know what I can get, and have been offered .

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
Guess it won't hurt to go look. I bought a 3500 Chevy awhile back with a 350 in it. That was a joke. Thanks
1994 Ford F250 4 Wheel Drive Deisel
1991 NewMar Kountry Star 30'

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
I have convoyed with both the 6.4 and 6.7 Fords. Both of them will leave me on the hills, but get no better fuel economy and their owners have a lot more dollars invested.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not giving up on my 7.3L, throw a couple chips and some exhaust in there and fall in love with your 7.3L all over again.

The 6.7L holds promise though, and I'll be watching it. If nothing better has come along in 5-10 years, I may consider one of those. My truck will be 20 years old then, and likely have 250K miles on it.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '02 7.3L and our oldest son has a '14 6.7L and that thing out performs my old 7.3L but I will keep my 7.3L for now. That 6.7L is so quiet just like a gas engine. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
The older trucks had 'real' numbers as far as payload; try putting the listed payload in a new one and you will find you need air bags most of the time; it's an advertising game.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fla-gypsy wrote:
I think you owe it to yourself to drive one of the new Ford's, gas or diesel, and then decide.

X2,

While the 7.3 has a stellar reputation and was quite a beast in its day. The 7.3's reign as king is over. Its performance does not compare to any of the modern diesels.
While overall the 7.3 is still capable of getting the job done, the 7.3 and the 4 speed tranny it is connected to have both become dinosaurs.
The payload ratings of 7.3 era trucks are anemic compared to the modern day diesels.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

trbill2003
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 97 with the 7.3liter. I chipped it and put in a banks exhaust and thought I had a real puller. In 05 I bought a 04 with the 6.0liter. I chipped it and put in a new exhaust. I also installed aux gauges to monitor turbo boost and temp. The 6.0l out performs the 7.3 in every way. Smoother, quieter, better fuel economy and way more power. Plus the torqueshift transmission is superb.

Some guys have had real problems with the 6.0l. I have always monitored my exhaust temp and have always run with a fuel additive. My truck now has 275,000 kms and no issues. So a good well cared for 6.0l might be a good bargain today. They are real cheap used.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)