cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old tv cabinet

EvaC
Explorer
Explorer

Would like to put a flat screen tv and hide this old cabinet. Has anyone replaced these and if you have can you please post photos?
Not really good with this stuff so when I post this I hope the photo comes up.??
11 REPLIES 11

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
One challenge is the walls are often hollow and flimsy. We mounted a heavy duty shelf bracket upside down to the platform and mounted the articulating arm to the shelf bracket. The used a bungy to hold it back when traveling.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
All that new additional storage behind a flat screen is great!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
I was planning on doing something like this on my old Komfort, but didn't trust the walls to have any supporting structure for a mount. My plan was to get a 1/2-3/4" piece of plywood the same size as one of the sidewalls or the rear wall of the TV cove and simply use Liquid Nails to glue it up, then screw the mount into that. I figured that about 3 sq ft of surface area would likely hold a nice flat screen. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Using it for MANY years in commercial construction I HIGHLY recommend this. Puts Liquid Nails to shame.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I was planning on doing something like this on my old Komfort, but didn't trust the walls to have any supporting structure for a mount. My plan was to get a 1/2-3/4" piece of plywood the same size as one of the sidewalls or the rear wall of the TV cove and simply use Liquid Nails to glue it up, then screw the mount into that. I figured that about 3 sq ft of surface area would likely hold a nice flat screen. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
That's some nice work BB!
Did you also add the surround sound speakers above the TV?
They're sweet.

The system was factory installed. Although the one shown is a replacement for the failed no-name system originally installed by the manufacturer. I had to slightly enlarge the openings as the new speakers were slightly larger than the old ones. But it sounds much better than the original.

I am very much an amateur when it comes to woodworking. Just a sometimes hobby. But it was actually pretty easy. I just measured the cabinet opening and depth and made the cabinet insert on my work bench. Finished it all out and inserted it into my cabinet and inserted some screws to hold it. Insert was made with hardwood plywood with the center section re-enforced with a second inside thickness of plywood to strengthen the TV mount. DVD rack was made from a one piece rack from Walmart that I cut in half.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
EXACTLY what BB TX shows above having the TV overlay the opening.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
They're sweet.

X2!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They're sweet.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The flat screens are thin enough to fit outside the cabinet with no problem. I replaced my old boat anchor TV with a 32" Samsung LED TV. I did get a little carried away on the cabinet insert and articulating mount to utilize the space behind. But it could easily be mounted with a piece of plywood and a fixed mount.
I did mount a narrow shelf under the TV for support when traveling. And velcro straps that I put behind the TV when watching.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I removed old analog 25" from cabinet
Made a new cabinet door so space could be used for storage

Then mounted a 32" flat screen TV on new cabinets door

No pictures but easy project
Can't make a cabinet door......have a cabinet maker do it
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Mount a long support arm type TV mount in the back of the opening and use it to have the TV to sit in front of the old cabinet.
You'll have to use some kind of straps to control it during transit though.