cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OEM tires-Toy Haulers

loboclone
Explorer
Explorer
We all know OEM tires are ticking time bombs generally. Toy haulers are heavy and typically have 10 ply tires. My 42'Jayco came with Westlake (China) tires. After 10K miles I am on my second wear issue, no flats or blow outs just abnormal wear.

Thought we had a bent axle, had it checked and no alignment issue.
Broken belts both times. Replacing all tires with Sailuns 14 ply.
2015 F-450 CC 440 HP 19.5 DRW. 26,500 Resse FW
Jayco Sesimic 4212 Toy Hauler
Oreion Sandreeper-Street Legal and tilted for the on road
480 Watts ZAMP 3 panel US made Solar system-Smart Glass panels
13 REPLIES 13

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
That's a scary picture! So is there any kind of consensus on which Brands/Models to favor? It seems anything from China is a no go, not too surprising!
2014 KZ Inferno 3712T
2015 Ford F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4L

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Our former 2014 Work & Play 30WRS had Westlakes. I kept them at 75-80 psi and when parked at home, they were always kept in the shade with tire covers. After 1.5 years and probably 8000 miles, they looked almost new.

That being said, I still went with G614s on the new Vengeance. But that was because I did it as part of the deal. If G614s were out of my budget, I'd jump on the Sailuns in a heartbeat.

My Towmax blowout and camper damage from four years ago keeps me from being too confident on any E rated tire on a heavy fifth wheel toy hauler.

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
Couple years ago checked Westlakes website after some talk on here about them. In hard to find small print, all the trailer tires were only rated to 50mph for mobile home transport use...?

Guess they've upped their game and made real dot rated RV tires now,,, or have they..?

JIMO, in this day and age with the common knowledge of cheap china bomb rv tires, any manufacturer that puts those tires on their new products, good possibility that shows the basic strategy and priorities of that company...

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

MrHavasu
Explorer
Explorer
Dumped my westlakes and put GD 614's on.

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Dumped the junk own tires on my new to me voltage two months ago with Sailun and tow with confidence now. Great price too!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the 17.5" trailer wheels and commercial grade tires for those heavy units with 7k-8k axles.

Not all china made ST tire are like the Westlakes.
The Sailun S637 and the Hercules H-901 and Taskmaster Provider all in 16" load G (4080 lbs capacity) commercial grade all steel ply carcass tires are tops with commercial regional haulers for their trailers. They work great for rv trailers also.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
That sure doesn't look like a tire I would feel comfortable with taking down the road. Replacing my china bombs with good quality LT's (Bridgestone Duravis R250s) I feel was one of the best investments I made to the trailer.

As for the tire wear it does look odd. If the tire really was running on the inside while going down the road I would expect to see more tread towards the outside which I am not seeing.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Hap_Hazard
Explorer
Explorer
I was told once that this type of wear can be caused by slightly loose wheel bearings. The wheel bearings should be checked with an accurate torque wrench.

Many others have told me this isn't possible. (?????)

Hap

Y-Guy
lincster wrote:
Then give the ST tires to the local mobile home park to put on peoples roofs.

LOL!!! 10 points for Gryffindor

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
I had my dealer switch out the westlakes with 6 new LT firestones prior to delivery. Love my Seismic.
2017 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Dually Duramax L5P
2015.5 Jayco Seismic 3902
2015 EZGO Express S4 buggy

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
LOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE tire threads!!!!!!!

ST tires should be driven from the dealer to the nearest tire shop, removed and replaced with 16" LT tires.

Then give the ST tires to the local mobile home park to put on peoples roofs.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just replaced the WestLakes with Sailun load range Gs on ours, too...

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I am "only" 35' and about 12,500#. Replaced my Chinese Mission tires after the first year. Now 20,000 miles later the Michelin XPS Ribs hardly show any wear. Gonna age out long before they wear out.