cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a Great Week for Travel

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Between the pandemic and other things......haven’t seen my family in Louisiana since April 2018. Granddaughter is getting married next Saturday. We’ve spent the last 3 days picking a travel route from Wyoming to La. using NOAA long range forecast! Every time we modify our travel route, the most recent I-25 into New Mexico, continuing south to I-10...... that route is getting worse by the hour! It’s still the warmest route, above zero most of the way......but now predicting possible sleet, snow, freezing rain! ?? Can’t get much farther south than I-10 ??! If there were “no one” else on the roads.....not a problem. I betting that will not be the situation! ??

This is beginning to look rather dismal! Sorry ......needed to vent! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
14 REPLIES 14

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know it’s a big event, but weddings are so chaotic, busy, and so many people. Think about a trip to visit in the spring, where y’all can spend quality time with the young couple, and enjoy them to yourselves.

If they are like we were when we got married(broke), they might enjoy taking a few days to camp with y’all at the beach or lake.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

jdc1 wrote:
I would fly, even paying last second, first class fares before I missed my grand child's wedding. If I had to, I'd sell my RV to pay for it.

X2..I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, I have no idea what your financial status is but..... Like stated, I would have to be in the ICU or worse to miss my grand daughters wedding...

Mask up, glove up ( if that helps) and hit the air ! ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
I would fly, even paying last second, first class fares before I missed my grand child's wedding. If I had to, I'd sell my RV to pay for it.

A lot of airlines ( I know American has a sale on ) have got some $99 ea way fares

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We were in S. Az. 2 weeks ago-from S. Ca. Primarily traveled 1 10.Some major things should keep in mind this time of year-the wind gusts hitting you broadside, of course the weather and the truckers. The truckers own the road and there are a lot of them on the road right now trying to get supplies to stores. On I 10 we would see 10-15 truck caravan's-some traveling 70-80 mph. There are more truckers on the road than private vehicles.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
Not ideal but have you considered motelling it instead of hauling the 5er? That way you don't have the trailer to worry about

That is a consideration.....but, the next several days will be pretty ugly, even without the trailer! I hate the thought of motels! Plus....with these conditions, they will be full of truck drivers and stranded travelers. Of course....sleeping in the vehicle is a viable, but not desirable, option! 😉 memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With the bad weather, added to the pandemic, I'm thinking your Granddaughter would feel better, knowing you are safe at home, rather than out on the road, exposed to dangers, that you can not control.

I'm sure you will get pics and video of the memorable ceremony and festivities that follow.

Jerry

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Not ideal but have you considered motelling it instead of hauling the 5er? That way you don't have the trailer to worry about

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
It’s so cold in Texas..they’re worried about fish freezing in Laguna Madre??????
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry about that memtb, but I guess it won't be the first virtual wedding, after this past year. Maybe get them to put in on Zoom website.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The entire state of Texas is now under either a winter storm warning or winter storm watch. Been here all my life and can't remember that ever happening. Will not get above freezing in parts of Texas until at least Friday with lows dipping into single digits and near or below zero in far north Texas. Not a good time to travel here.

At least they are predicting snow this time rather than the more dangerous freezing rain we so often get and that caused the deadly wreck in Ft Worth.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Truck Guy. - about 40 hours (1700 miles)when towing the camper.....in good weather. This ain’t such good weather! :B

TXiceman - the cold is no problem, even with water in the fresh tank.....our camper can handle the cool temps. The ice/freezing rain, with near zero DOT systems in place and inexperienced drivers to contend with is our issue. I don’t want to be involved in a “instant replay” of the Ft. Worth wreck! Again, if it were just us on the roads......chain/cable her up and let’r rip! Now if can have all of those others leave me an open road.....I’d appreciate it!! :B

It’s starting to look like we’re not going to make granddaughter’s wedding! ?? memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
We did not ask the northerners to send there lousy weather south to the Texas coast, but we got it and by Monday and Tuesday it will be bad. They are predicting freezes all the way to the RGV with winter precipitation almost to the RGV.

Just northwest of Houston is predicted to be 8 to 12 degF and below freezing for at least 5 nights. A couple of days never getting above freezing.

Like one fellow posted ...

To all my northern friends....Your stinking weather is in front yard and drunk. Come get it NOW.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

That southern storm is expected to be here in the north east Tuesday AM... You may be ok if you leave last minute... How many hour drive total do you have?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet