cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No hot water in kitchen

rdmotex3
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping for some help. Just finished a week of “generational cold” here in south Texas. Five days of bitter cold with the lowest temp of 9. I did not winterize our relfection prior to the storm. I drained it well after our last trip but I have no doubt there was residual water lines. Also, I did not drain hot water heater. Today was first day with sun and not frozen so I hooked up the camper and everything seemed to work and no apparent leaks. However, the water in the kitchen only turns tepid and never hot. I found a blog about the outdoor shower valves could be causing an issue if left on. Went out to check and sure enough they were on! Problem solved!! Nope still only tepid water I the kitchen. After an exhaustive search online with no luck I posted this question on a Facebook group. The best thought from that post was the hot water line in the kitchen was still frozen. Possible? I guess but it seems odd that would be the only line still frozen. Anyone else have any thoughts or heard this before?
11 REPLIES 11

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Glad you found it. I was thinking about that aerator as well. But like you I was thinking that if water was coming out then the aerator was good.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rdmotex3
Explorer
Explorer
No idea the water was smokin hot everywhere else! Beats me what happened here. Thanks to all for the input.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heck. The water may not have been hot when you were running around trying to figure it out.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
the 2 times we had no hot water in the rear kitchen was the check valve on the water tank was pluged. chevman PS not a winter condition.
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Glad you got it working! Lol, no man should have to accept defeat, from a non-working device!!:)

Jerry

rdmotex3
Explorer
Explorer
Insert head shake here. So I took the advice from opnspaces and sat back in order to take it all in. Traced the lines rechecked everything and as you can imagine nothing. Frustrated and beginning to accept defeat a thought occurred to me. I thought zero chance but I did it anyway. I took off the head on the sink and ran the hot water. It spit and sputter and then piping hot water. Inspected everything and still no idea as to the what or the why. Put it all back together and boom it’s working. Could I have missed something? Maybe? possibly? I don’t know for sure but it’s working. This one has me shaking my head.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
opnspaces wrote:
Two days of 60-70 degree heat I don't think you have an ice problem. Do you have hot water anywhere in the coach and only not at the kitchen faucet?

Sit back for a minute and just take in the trailer. Think about the location of the water heater to the faucets. Most likely the trailer only has one water line that runs from the fresh tank, through the heater and then to all the fixtures.

Run run hot at the working faucets and then start tracing the water lines touching the outside of the lines until the temp goes from hot to warm. Hopefully you can open cabinets or pull out drawers to reach the lines. You checked the outside shower knobs, what about the inside shower?

I agree with this, but wonder if only kitchen faucet, lukewarm, could it be mixing hot/cold, just a little, if a single handle faucet? Most RV faucets, not best quality!

Jerry

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Two days of 60-70 degree heat I don't think you have an ice problem. Do you have hot water anywhere in the coach and only not at the kitchen faucet?

Sit back for a minute and just take in the trailer. Think about the location of the water heater to the faucets. Most likely the trailer only has one water line that runs from the fresh tank, through the heater and then to all the fixtures.

Run run hot at the working faucets and then start tracing the water lines touching the outside of the lines until the temp goes from hot to warm. Hopefully you can open cabinets or pull out drawers to reach the lines. You checked the outside shower knobs, what about the inside shower?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rdmotex3
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled the mouse boards and can’t see anything. We are 48 hours past last freeze. We were in the 60’s yesterday and mid 70’s today. I’m beginning to wonder if ice is the problem. Any other suggestions out there?

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
I just went thru this.........

My bet is that your kitchen sink water lines are t'eed off the low point drains for both hot and cold. If you look under the sink, remove the mouse blockers if you have them and shine a flashlight down the hole. Chances are you will see ice. The low point drains on my RV are exposed under the RV, and are probably the first thing to freeze in cold weather. I put a small heater in the cupboard and just waited. Sure enough after an hour or so, the hot water worked again.

I have not done it yet, but I will insulate and put some heat tape on them when I can.

It's still a mystery to me that the cold water line which is next to the hot water line did not freeze.

Hope you and yours are dealing well with the deep freeze.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Either the hot water line into the kitchen faucet is clogged or it isn’t. It is something else. .
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad