cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nitro fill tires on fifth wheel

dennysbabe
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a new Grand Design Reflection that has nitro filled tires. We didn't have nitro in our previous FW so we're wondering if anyone has had experience using nitro in theirs. Does the pressure stay consistent enough that you don't have to add air? We're wondering about accessibility to nitro. Our vehicle has nitro and the tire pressure stays very consistent which is making our tires wear very well but the dealer also checks the psi when we have it serviced so accessibility to nitro is not a problem there. We're just wondering how difficult it's going to be to maintain nitro only in our FW tires.

Phyllis
31 REPLIES 31

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
We went to the RVIA Show in Pomona last week and some motorhome mfgs are touting NITRO in their entire lines.

They don,t read this forum or they figure no one else does either.
They may not even know it's nitrogen.

Bingo on the last sentence!!

"They may not even know it's nitrogen".

MANY of the Pomona RV show salespersons are 100% clueless about the product they represent - as well as BASIC RV "things" - including tow vehicles, etc.

One year I asked a "salesman" if I could take one of his brochures, which were sitting in an open rear compartment.
He he didn't know where they were (I showed him) - as it was his FIRST day on the job. Figured he meant first day at the show....NO - he then admitted it was he first day EVER selling RVs..:R

Buyer beware - of "Show prices"!
The participating dealers pay to have a space/s, while other dealers of the SAME brand are (often) not "invited" - period!
Better deals can be had from the dealers who are NOT there.

A friend signed up for a test drive of a high-end MH.
(His wife just had to have one - instead of the great 5th they had).
On arrival - and check in - he was told by the dealership *owner* they would get to him "soon".
So he's killing time looking thru the MHs. While he was in the back of one, he overhears two salespersons in the ront:
#1 says, "Who is the guy in the back?"
#2 says, "Oh - he's just a tire-kicker looking around".
Adios! - He bought a slightly used Country Coach elsewhere.

Also - ya gotta love the "You MUST sign in before going thru the RV" - from a couple of salespersons (vultures) sitting on their butts at a table. (Sure, understand: - they want to sell you something AND get you on their calling/mailing list)
They never catch on to: Chuck Roast, (at some phony address & phone).

If you really are interested in looking w/o the noise in your ear....
Tell 'em you are bringing the DW the following day (she may really simply be "elsewhere").
Results in: They don't bother, look all you want uninterrupted!

IMO - NO nitrogen, or nitromethane req'd for the salespersons at
Pomona.....maybe a Nitroglycerine tablet however!..:W

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
neal10a wrote:
I see some like to dazzle others with their so-called knowledge of chemistry. The context of the question was clear. So why the so-called humor. Even an accomplished chemist would understand the question without the so-called humor.
Ok, we can derail this thread with another 5 pages of arguing about what's an appropriate response and what isn't all day long. You really think it's going to change anything? The thread police have arrived.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
justme wrote:
Then why is it necessary to demean or make fun of someone asking a legitimate question. Seems lack of manners to me.
Some see humor, you see lack of manners. And, maybe the OP needs a bit of clarification. Since OP is only a full member after 14 years on here, perhaps she won't be back anyway.

I see some like to dazzle others with their so-called knowledge of chemistry. The context of the question was clear. So why the so-called humor. Even an accomplished chemist would understand the question without the so-called humor.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
Then why is it necessary to demean or make fun of someone asking a legitimate question. Seems lack of manners to me.
Some see humor, you see lack of manners. And, maybe the OP needs a bit of clarification. Since OP is only a full member after 14 years on here, perhaps she won't be back anyway.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
neal10a wrote:
How did we get on the nitro kick. Seems like the OP was clear about nitrogen in tire. Or are some simply wise a--es.
The OP clearly said "nitro". SIX times in fact.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
We went to the RVIA Show in Pomona last week and some motorhome mfgs are touting NITRO in their entire lines.

They may not even know it's nitrogen.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a BIL that had a motor home, that set around a lot. He gave me a lecture on having put nitrogen in the tires and made a point that you would never have to add air or nitrogen again..

His front tires looked like pregnant guppies. :B

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Come on, if you want nitrogen just put the word in the search box.
I dare you ๐Ÿ˜‰

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
neal10a wrote:
How did we get on the nitro kick. Seems like the OP was clear about nitrogen in tire. Or are some simply wise a--es.
The OP clearly said "nitro". SIX times in fact.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it had to do with the fact that no one has ever heard of nitrogen gas referred to as "Nitro". Sometimes you have find humor where ever it rears its head. ๐Ÿ™‚

And sometimes you just need to call a halt to the silly usage of a word already in common use. "Nitro" is nitromethane, not nitrogen, which is...nitrogen.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
neal10a wrote:

Several mfrs are now using the term "nitro" on their advertising instead of "nitrogen". Stupid to use it and stupid to call it that, but, hey, we're talking about the RV industry...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I always thought Nitro was mixed with gasoline for additional power at the drag strip ๐Ÿ™‚

Thats nitromethane and it's tun straight, not with gasoline.

But......can he put it in his TIRES ???

(And run - - "Funny RV" Class & hang out with John Force..:C