cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Truck to Pull a Landmark??

NorthernNeck_VA
Explorer
Explorer
I have been pulling our 2013 Landmark with our 2005 6.0 Ford and thinking about getting a new truck. Thinking about a Dodge or maybe another Ford F450. Thoughts or ideas??

Thanks in advance.

NNK
Jimmy & Kathy
Northern Neck, VA.
2013 Landmark San Antonio
2016 F350
2005 Ford F350, DRW, Diesel (SOLD)
2005 King of the Road "Royal Villa" 34BW (SOLD)

"The amateur does it 'til he gets it right. But the expert does it until he can't get it wrong."
48 REPLIES 48

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Must've been a while since you've looked a diesel trucks since they all come with a 'Jake Brake' now.
Any of the 1 ton DRW will safely tow that 5th wheel. Test drive them all. They're different in their own way but all have the power and handling to tow your 5th wheel.

x2

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
I take mine to the local Ram dealer so it's not my problem where the oil filter is. @64 years young I'm done doing oil changes.

76 and I do my oil changes etc. Don't know why??

chevman

I do my own after the last dealer shop I took my Ford to left my oil filler cap sitting on the passengers battery and the service advisor gave me a maintenance status report from a Ford Focus when I went to settle the account.
My first clue that the maintenance report was wrong was that it said only 5 quarts of oil was installed. :E
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
davidaf wrote:
I pull my Landmark Newport with a 16 Ram. Pulls and handles the load just fine. I have bags on the truck but they were added for my Lance camper I don't add any air for the Landmark. I suspect the 450 non-CC version will squat more (I owned a 2015 450, tongue weight is over 4k) based on how it handled my camper (5k lbs) vs the Ram. I never towed the Landmark with the 450 as it wouldn't stay out of the shop long enough to make it to make it a good tow vehicle for me. Towed like a bull but couldn't keep it on the road. The Landmark was bought after I swapped tow vehicles.

Running your bags at 5psi unloaded will make them about 30psi with your load!

Not true I set my air bags for whatever air pressure I want and it automatically adjusts to that setting. If I set it for 5 psi and put a load on the truck it will let out air to maintain that 5 psi. Or I can program certain air pressures and they do the same. That's what is sweet over OEM air ride where you have no control

As far as 5 psi turning into whatever psi when loaded with aftermarket air bags it's a pretty simple solution , let some air out to the desired psi it's not complicated. Another feature OEM air ride does not have

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
davidaf wrote:
I pull my Landmark Newport with a 16 Ram. Pulls and handles the load just fine. I have bags on the truck but they were added for my Lance camper I don't add any air for the Landmark. I suspect the 450 non-CC version will squat more (I owned a 2015 450, tongue weight is over 4k) based on how it handled my camper (5k lbs) vs the Ram. I never towed the Landmark with the 450 as it wouldn't stay out of the shop long enough to make it to make it a good tow vehicle for me. Towed like a bull but couldn't keep it on the road. The Landmark was bought after I swapped tow vehicles.

Running your bags at 5psi unloaded will make them about 30psi with your load!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
stickdog wrote:
I going with with a F350 CC Lariat DRW 6.7 4.10 to pull the new DRV MS we're picking up at the end of the month with a 19,000 gvw. I've been told to go with the 3.55 which might be fine on the flats but we do the mountains as well.

Be sure to have the risers on your DRV or you WILL be nose high on the RV.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I going with with a F350 CC Lariat DRW 6.7 4.10 to pull the new DRV MS we're picking up at the end of the month with a 19,000 gvw. I've been told to go with the 3.55 which might be fine on the flats but we do the mountains as well.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
You don't need to be "made of money" to get the ultimate tow vehicle...Spend some time on the Escapees HDT forum.
(There's an MDT forum also)
Yes, a converted HDT is what many do.. but sometimes those rigs end up looking pretty horrid if you're only into the utilitarian version. A Sportchassis is a spendy item.

Either way, weight makes all the difference in handling.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
If you're made of money get a Freightliner Sportchassis M2 MDT. It's real nice to tow with a truck that weighs 6 tons. If you want control, comfort and safety, the heavier the better. If you mainly want towing power, the new pickups are fine for that.

You don't need to be "made of money" to get the ultimate tow vehicle - with more whistles and bells (and creature comfort) for way less than a new pickup (or a "450").

Spend some time on the Escapees HDT forum.
(There's an MDT forum also)

Will tow *anything* you choose - no special license req'd when registered in (most states) as a MH.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
When I drove down and met Larry a couple years ago, I knew right away he was the type of guy that could service his own truck! Chris

Same here! Stopped by on the way back from SoCal. He keeps everything NICE!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
For 2017 the Ford F350 is a highly rated towing machine. Tons of torque, great towing capacity, modern electronics engine and trany, comfortable, great styling. Ford does a great job with engineering, customer support and etc. Since 2011 Ford has styed ahead of the pack. Earlier Fords did not.... Also everything is designed and built in-house which provide the ability to be nimble towards competition.

Do you work for Ford? I agree that the 2017 Super Duty is a nice truck but to say that Ford has stayed ahead of the pack since 2011 is subjective at best......
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

justme
Explorer
Explorer
For 2017 the Ford F350 is a highly rated towing machine. Tons of torque, great towing capacity, modern electronics engine and trany, comfortable, great styling. Ford does a great job with engineering, customer support and etc. Since 2011 Ford has styed ahead of the pack. Earlier Fords did not.... Also everything is designed and built in-house which provide the ability to be nimble towards competition.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I drove down and met Larry a couple years ago, I knew right away he was the type of guy that could service his own truck! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

I see you have a hard time resisting draining the oil too! :B

It's so nice when you have easy access.

The Cummins oil filter is still much easier to change than dealing with a trashed CP4 or that pesky second water pump.....:B

Now that I've done it a few times it's not too bad.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes