cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New TPMS

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
When I had the trailer tires replaced I had metal valve stems put on and then added 507 TPMS . I noticed on Thursday coming home the tires on the west side of the trailer were running 10 degrees hotter and 2 lbs. higher pressure.
Is this normal that the sun side runs a little hotter?

Something happened on the way home that was really strange. I have been towing campers since 1996 and have never had this experience. It was kind of weird and a little spooky,
WE pulled in to a rest area on I43 and the truck/trailer side of the rest area was completely empty. I think there were 30 slots there and we were the only thing in the rest area for at least 1/2 hr.
11 REPLIES 11

leftybj
Explorer
Explorer
My system has 1 sensor that reads 2 to 3 psi lower. I verified with an independent gauge and now I just factor in the difference.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
dryfly wrote:
I have a new 507 system and noticed one of the sensors reads about 3 psi lower than the others. Is this common?

No, but have you physically checked the air pressure with an air gauge to see what it is. It just may be 3 psi lower then the rest . You need to check all four to see if they all match ,to verify if it's the sensor or just air pressure difference, if you haven't already .

Certainly, that was the first thing I did! All four tires were inflated to 80 psi and checked with same digital gauge. The variation in inflation pressure continues as psi increases with road travel.

Mine differ a little as they heat up traveling, but when cold early morning no sun on them they all read equal within a psi. But no not 3 psi. Now that you know itโ€™s probably okay to allow for that 3 psi. Or check about warranty, possibly get a new sensor.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
dryfly wrote:
I have a new 507 system and noticed one of the sensors reads about 3 psi lower than the others. Is this common?

No, but have you physically checked the air pressure with an air gauge to see what it is. It just may be 3 psi lower then the rest . You need to check all four to see if they all match ,to verify if it's the sensor or just air pressure difference, if you haven't already .

Certainly, that was the first thing I did! All four tires were inflated to 80 psi and checked with same digital gauge. The variation in inflation pressure continues as psi increases with road travel.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Yes

sun side is hotter
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:
When I had the trailer tires replaced I had metal valve stems put on and then added 507 TPMS . I noticed on Thursday coming home the tires on the west side of the trailer were running 10 degrees hotter and 2 lbs. higher pressure.
Is this normal that the sun side runs a little hotter?

Something happened on the way home that was really strange. I have been towing campers since 1996 and have never had this experience. It was kind of weird and a little spooky,
WE pulled in to a rest area on I43 and the truck/trailer side of the rest area was completely empty. I think there were 30 slots there and we were the only thing in the rest area for at least 1/2 hr.

Perfectly normal. TST owner for over 10 years BTW
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, the side in the sun is always a bit warmer and a couple of PSI higher in pressure. No need to worry on this little change.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

The tires on the sunny side of my RV are always hotter and higher psi then the shade side.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
on the side of my trailer that the exhaust comes out my truck ...the temp and pressures will run higher.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
You made a good choice with the 507 setup. You will see sun and shade side differences and it is normal. You can see a bigger difference depending on road surface. Sun on the tires and asphalt pavement will give the biggest changes. Sun directly overhead will equalize them. With the trailer in the back of the property I could tell where the sun is just by tire temperatures. Until someone comes out with White UV resistant tires we will have to deal with Black heat absorbing tires. The up side is that they are built to deal with the heat and pressure changes.
We have experienced empty truck side lots in rest stops. Mostly mid morning and mid afternoon times when the big guys are trying to get in maximum tire rotations. Yes, strange but not all that unusual.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member