cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New rims?

tartan_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Our tires are coming up for 7 years old and I'm planning to replace them. How many of you buy new wheels to go with new tires or am I just wasting money? My current wheels are steel rims at same age as tires. Thanks for any advice.
๐Ÿ™‚
Backpack to fiver...and everything in between. What a life!
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax, Allison 6-speed
18k Superglide
9 REPLIES 9

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my old white spoke last year after 8 years of dealing with 2 rims with a slow leak
I had to get new tires so I got some nice aluminum rims with steel stems and no more leaks.
I bought some chrome hub covers for the white spoke rims to cover the hubs and lug nuts that were 16 bucks a piece and lost 2 of them so finally
got tired of it and got new rims.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
My steel wheels were showing the age of time so before I got new tires I took them off,wire brushed them up real good, rattle can sprayed them them clear coated that and called it good. They look like new and no over spray on tires.:B While they were changing the tires out I found a label on the inside that showed they were good for 110psi.:C
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

My BIL just went threw the same dilemma ,, he sanded and painted... Added chrome center caps and new shinny lug nuts.. Looks like a new trailer !!! Well ok,, not really , but it does look awesome!!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wasting your money. Do you replace the rims on your cars every 7 years? Touch up any rust and keep using.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
With our new trailer I had to buy new rims since we went with a larger diameter tire. Purchased them from Discount Tire for $100 each in addition to getting new tires and metal valve stems. Sold the stock wheels and tires for an amount equal to the price of the new rims. I was amazed with how many calls I got for the stock rims/ tires off a Craigslist Ad.

You just need a zero off-set and, important, make sure the hub cap/ center cap will clear your hubs. We bought some Visions and their cap was too short; I had to go MacGyver and make them work.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

BigLoser
Explorer
Explorer
Hated those white spokes. Spent about $15 for a set of hubcaps from Kmart. Cheap fix but if I had the money I would go with new rims.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I painted and add color matching stripes to the ones on my old TT
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You're not wasting money if you get some really cool looking ones.

Funny- when I say that to my Husband per my latest household doodads he rolls his eyes like a teenager- :@.....;)
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You're not wasting money if you get some really cool looking ones.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman