cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Outside Stairs

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed the new stairs they have, for 5th/wheels to replace the old ones. I saw them at an R V Show last week. They seem very easy to install.

Gray Fox
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.
70 REPLIES 70

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
MorRyde steps are the devil's handiwork. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.

Gotta like a man, that is decisive, likes/dislikes! :C ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MorRyde steps are the devil's handiwork. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
This thread has come back to life which gives me an opportunity to say how much we also like our TorkLift Uprising steps. Our fifth wheel came with the MorRyde steps and I didn't have enough room in our rv garage to lower them. The Uprising steps solved the problem. They are sturdy and cam be deployed in tight spaces. Also, with 5 steps they are pretty easy to climb.

What I did find when installing them is the frame well for the old style steps is still there hidden by some sheet metal. I actually considered trimming it back so I could mount a set of steps in the well but I felt it might not be good for resale down the road.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
Hereโ€™s my story regarding the Torklift Revolution Uprising. This style folds into the trailer like the MORryde and not underneath into the stairwell since my trailer does not have one.

We were getting a new fifth wheel and I knew that it was coming with MORryde steps and I wouldnโ€™t be able to open them in my storage area since it is quite tight. (I know some will say thatโ€™s a deal breaker for storage but itโ€™s what I have. Thatโ€™s not the issue here.)

I ordered the Torklift since they can be deployed at any depth. ( I sold the factory steps on Facebook Marketplace for a good price.) I put the Torklift steps on the day I got the trailer. Went to the storage spot and I never considered that the door was too wide to open completely! I wouldnโ€™t be able to deploy them anyway! Darn it.

However, and thereโ€™s always a however in life, I would be able to use a step stool to get up and climb over them. (Another deal breaker for some. No big deal for me.) If I had the MORryde I would not have been able to do that so the Torklift worked for me in the end. Allโ€™s well that ends well.
We love the sturdiness and we deal with the 10 seconds it takes to sweep them off.
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10โ€™s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

Camper445
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
If your talking about the "Solid Step" I wouldn't have them, RV came with them it would be a deal breaker. They fold inside so any debris, mud, water, snow or ice goes inside. They do make a mat to catch it all inside. Then there's the space issue can't open in parking spaces they hang over to the next spot. Try opening in a storage area with another right next to you, how do you load for travel without taking it from the storage?

Why is it that we donโ€™t experience any problems with the solid steps having travelled over 25,000 miles and 342 nights. We donโ€™t set up in mud and the broom takes all other things like sand. We park in rest areas without a problem even in truck stops.

Maybe because you've never been on a campsite where there was 2' elevation difference front to back, in a storage yard where you have 30" of space to the rig beside you, or some other scenarios? Talk about non use opinions roflmao.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
tartan camper wrote:
Another vote for the Torklift Glowstep Revolution - they are great steps, easy to deploy and they have adjustable supports for uneven ground. It took me about 20 minutes to make the change.

Another vote for them from me. I was able to install them by myself in about 15 minutes. They fold into the factory step well and are much easier on my knees than the higher, bouncier factory steps.

Takes just a little practice to learn to adjust them, but a big improvement for me, especially when loading and unloading the trailer or working on something where Iโ€™m up and down the stairs dozens of times in a day.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
If your talking about the "Solid Step" I wouldn't have them, RV came with them it would be a deal breaker. They fold inside so any debris, mud, water, snow or ice goes inside. They do make a mat to catch it all inside. Then there's the space issue can't open in parking spaces they hang over to the next spot. Try opening in a storage area with another right next to you, how do you load for travel without taking it from the storage?

Why is it that we donโ€™t experience any problems with the solid steps having travelled over 25,000 miles and 342 nights. We donโ€™t set up in mud and the broom takes all other things like sand. We park in rest areas without a problem even in truck stops.

tartan_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Torklift Glowstep Revolution - they are great steps, easy to deploy and they have adjustable supports for uneven ground. It took me about 20 minutes to make the change.
Backpack to fiver...and everything in between. What a life!
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax, Allison 6-speed
18k Superglide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
These aftermarket steps would not be in existence if the four step fold outs like mine were on every RV. Extremely solid, made by Elkhart Industries.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Small disadvantages for all of the advantages (solid stairs, and extremely easy to use)"

Yes, the solid stairs are solid, hence the name. Extremely easy to use? Well, not as much as the fold out steps that simply fold out, hence the name. No having to adjust, and readjust for different stops like the solid steps.

"All of the advantages", which seem to be...they are solid. They may be solid, but they still stink. They may be fine for people with climbing and balance problems, but for every one else, they stink. JMO of course. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Spot on.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have old people and these steps are the most solid and the best steps for them (and for me). There are some disadvantages for sure. But Iโ€™ll take them over having wobbly fold out steps. I donโ€™t want my folks falling off of my stairs because I canโ€™t be inconvenienced to sweep a little mess, adjust them once while Iโ€™m setting up camp, and heaven forbid I have to wipe them off. Small disadvantages for all of the advantages (solid stairs, and extremely easy to use)

JMHO based on experience.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
I'm with Edd505 on this. As long as they all use those idiotic steps, I won't buy a new RV. If an option was offered for folding steps, I'd be interested. I'd =really= like to know how much MorRyde paid the mfrs to =all= change over in < 3 years.
Lyle

R12RTee wrote:
On my fifth wheel the Mor/Ryde steps were an option. Folding steps are standard. The option is well worth it to me. This is my fourth Fifth Wheel trailer and the steps are much better than any I've had before, including Tork Lift Glow steps that I had on my previous Mobile Suites.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The steps became popular because they simplfy the manufacturing process. The steps are no longer incorporated into the frame via the stair box. As a result the frame become more universal and the same frame can be used for more floorplans/units. Door location does not impact the frame anymore.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Edd505 wrote:

I'm with Edd505 on this. As long as they all use those idiotic steps, I won't buy a new RV. If an option was offered for folding steps, I'd be interested. I'd =really= like to know how much MorRyde paid the mfrs to =all= change over in < 3 years.

Lyle

They use Lippert too. I'm sure RV manufactures get a discount on parts just like any other business does. IMO RV manufactures are doing it because it saves money for them.
LOL the last thing that would be a decision maker for me would be the steps. There's so much more that's not right about RV's. I bet a dealer can count on one hand how many buyers bring their RV's back for step problems.