cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Outside Stairs

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed the new stairs they have, for 5th/wheels to replace the old ones. I saw them at an R V Show last week. They seem very easy to install.

Gray Fox
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.
70 REPLIES 70

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that the Mor Ryde step have become so popular. Because they eliminate the stair box in the building process.
THe steps have a debris issue,they block the door way,and cannot be deployed in tight spaces.
But overall by eliminating the stair box the units are easier to build.
The steps can be a last minute attachement vs. being part of the frame assembly.
It allows the door to positioned almost anywhere which creates more floorplan flexibility. It allows similiar floor plans to share more construction techniques.
In the end they have become popular not because they are good for the consumer, but because they are good for mass production and the RV builders.

I'd pay for the option to have the old-school steps.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Edd505 wrote:
If your talking about the "Solid Step" I wouldn't have them, RV came with them it would be a deal breaker. They fold inside so any debris, mud, water, snow or ice goes inside. They do make a mat to catch it all inside. Then there's the space issue can't open in parking spaces they hang over to the next spot. Try opening in a storage area with another right next to you, how do you load for travel without taking it from the storage?

I'm with Edd505 on this. As long as they all use those idiotic steps, I won't buy a new RV. If an option was offered for folding steps, I'd be interested. I'd =really= like to know how much MorRyde paid the mfrs to =all= change over in < 3 years.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em. They have to be adjusted for almost every time they are deployed. We have had to move the trailer because the ground was too close to the trailer, and we couldn't shorten them enough to use them. Luckily we have a toyhauler with the second door which doesn't have the solid steps. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to get into our trailer when it's in storage.

I wish the guy that thought those up had mine in his "basement".

Couldn't agree more. Another reason I hate them is you cannot move trailer for leveling or other small adjustments with the stairs down. I replaced mine and never looked back. My facebook group always has some takeoffs of the solid steps for sale. Many people hate them.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyp4951 wrote:
I love my Solid Step especially the 13" top step that is like a landing when stepping down and rock solid.
It takes maybe 10 seconds to sweep them before closing up.
I installed the solid steps on mine. Sure I do have to adjust them at different sites but I love the large landing step and the fact they do not move or shake when stepping out with a plate of food for the grill.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
Fact is there is no perfect step. Any steps can have problems due to irregular or unlevel ground or tight quarters - the list goes on.
I didn't see it mentioned so will share for those considering solid steps - they now come with levers instead of pins to easily adjust the length of the legs. They also come with pins in the hinges so if the camper is too close to an obstruction the steps can be disconnected and removed. Not convenient, but certainly an improvement over being completely blocked out.
I have had steel steps with their blind rivet hinges give way under me - not a pleasant experience.
I've also seen four step Torklifts have problems due to ground slope - pretty common in state and federal parks.
Solid steps do need to be cleaned before stowing for travel.
Any step will collect dirt that gets tracked in on shoes and need to be cleaned periodically.
Any step with a deeper top step will feel safer to the user.

I used to be anti-solid step, but now that I've experienced them I've discovered that they are much easier to maintain than steps that are underneath the camper, and since they have fewer moving parts and are not exposed to the elements will traveling actually require less maintenance. I used to hate pulling folding steps out that were covered in road grime or ice.
I've had the rearmost set of folding steps drag the ground on poorly maintained roads.
There are pros and cons to every design but ultimately they all work pretty well.

Next topic: friction hinge doors vs. doors that require a latch to stay open. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an older camper you may have problems with door clearance. I had to cut the bottom of the door off to get the door to close on my 08 Cardinal and my friends 2011 Montana. The steps fold out over the door threshold and require more room than a normal door. Had to cut the screen door too.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"So - not every product will work for everyone, Cummins - no matter what you like!"

Got deleted for responding to this earlier. Don't think I was being critical of anyones choices at all. Only thing I don't like are the CHEAP factory 3 and 4 steps. I posted my Elkhart Industries steps that only have 1/2" deflection with 200# on the bottom step and are VERY solid. I had a chance to test for FREE and keep a set of TorkLift but thanked them and said I appreciated the offer but was happy with mine. Also have also said if I did not have access to mine any longer I would NOT hesitate to get the TorkLift. I do think the MORryde have too many negatives for me.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift are one of the best steps you can have I have them for 3 years and I am very happy with them.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
I park the 5th next to the house - house on one side, 6' wall on the other. I have *exactly* 32 inches of space on each side. With the 5th "centered" I can extend the bedroom slide completely, the living room slide "almost" all the way.

The "original" 3 step pull-out steps put the bottom step about 2" from the side wall of the house....which means you step on the bottom step "sideways" to enter. (I built an "L" entry platform w/steps for my "at home" entry use. Remove when the 5th is out of it's storage space).

So - not every product will work for everyone, Cummins - no matter what you like!

When I get a Round Tuit, I will finish my own easily removable aluminum 4-step and still have the folding 3-step in the 'factory' location. (Have the materials & my wood "mock-up" does just fine).

~

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I almost had them add thoes to my 5th wheel when I bought it, but got lucky with a delay in shipping because they were so new still back then. that delay let me think about it and for the reasons mentioned here I cancled them. the biggest reason for me was that I camp a lit in the rain and muddy camp sites and such so when you fold them up where does that all end up dripping..

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wife and I love our Torklift steps. Went from 3 to 4 steps. I have had both knees replaced and the difference the 4 steps makes is amazing. I believe Torklift makes a replacement set of steps for solid steps. They fold up into the door like the solid ones do, if any one is interested.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
When was the last time a set of unsupported steps collapsed? I've never heard of it, and the steps don't flex as much as the trailer suspension moves when weight is applied. No big deal, unless you have mobility issues. I've had both and see no advantage to the solid steps that outweigh their inconvenience.

I had to tear out and rebuild the floor in the doorway of my Dad's trailer when they started to pull free.

Also, had a friend fall due to the bounce. Luckily, she caught herself and wasn't injured...after that, I started putting jack stands under the last step to reduce bounce.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm...we really like our solid steps. Trailer came with them. We don't find them inconvenient at all. I wouldn't want to go back to the regular kind of steps.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While not the biggest crisis in the RV world. Bouncey steps is a real issue.
How big of an issue? Well that may depend on how much you weigh.
It also may depend on how stable you are in general. Bad ,knees and hips it becomes a bigger issue. Weigh more than 250 or so and its a bigger issue.
Torxlift step removes the bounce without creating a whole list of oher issueslike the Mor Ryde steps.
But I still contend the maunfacture's like Mor Ryde steps not because they are stable or good for the consumer.
They like them because they reduce assembly cost and improve the bottomline.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
They have to be adjusted for almost every time they are deployed.

Back when we had the 4 step cantilever style, we had to adjust every time because I would put a couple aluminum jack stands under the last step because they flexed so much otherwise.

My wife doesn't like the bounce of the standard cantilever steps either, which is another reason I'll go with the Torklift.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison