cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Morryde pinbox

farmerrob
Explorer
Explorer
Our Cougar 27RKS weighs less than 9000 pounds and the ride ts not real bad and I have found a Moryde pinbox for $455. Will the ride be that much better?
This question has probably been asked and answered many times but I am asking for other Cougar 27RKS owners if they have anything to say or add.
My tv is a 2018 chev 2500 duramax which carries this 5th wheel very well.
2018 chevy 2500 sb dc duramax
2018 cougar 27rks
B&W hitch
Goodyear endurance
22 REPLIES 22

danskool
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. I won't be without a MR. It is a huge improvement.
Dan

2021 5th Wheel Crusader 29RS
2001 F250 XLT 7.3 PSD

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I'm late to this topic. I bought a 2012 Cougar 293SAB in 2011. It had some push/pull sensation. Not really chucking. I put a MorRyde on it. Such a huge difference! You will be glad you did this.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
farmerrob wrote:
Morryde pinbox update.
I bought the pinbox and installed it by myself with little trouble and so far very pleased with the ride improvement.
The ride is much less harsh, still feel the the trailer reacting to the road conditions but not the hard back slaps like before.
I have traveled over 2500 miles in the last 7 days and i'm not near as tired as before.
Glad I did it.
Happy trails to all!!

That is good to hear, It's been on my short list to do as well.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

farmerrob
Explorer
Explorer
Morryde pinbox update.
I bought the pinbox and installed it by myself with little trouble and so far very pleased with the ride improvement.
The ride is much less harsh, still feel the the trailer reacting to the road conditions but not the hard back slaps like before.
I have traveled over 2500 miles in the last 7 days and i'm not near as tired as before.
Glad I did it.
Happy trails to all!!
2018 cougar 27rks
B&W hitch
Goodyear endurance

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Many people don't realize that a lighter weight trailer can chuck as bad as any other, which was my experience. I ended up replacing my Patriot hitch with a Trailer Saver TS3 which cured everything. I have a non compatible pin box so MorRyde wasn't an option, if I did have the option for four hundred bucks, I would have tried the MorRyde pin box. Realize that your current hitch and pin box are very efficient at transmitting all the trailer generated forces to your backside.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
That's the one I have for 9300lbs. My 5er initially weighed 9,000 until I added 4 GC batteries and some other items. Doubt 300 lbs matters. According to MORryde my dust mark measurements are correct. I wondered the same thing and called them.

farmerrob
Explorer
Explorer
The pinbox I'm looking at is rated for 11,500 lbs or less, which makes me wonder
if it will be to stiff or firm for my trailer weight.

You are correct about the $$, if it helps.
2018 cougar 27rks
B&W hitch
Goodyear endurance

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
also, MORryde pinboxs have different shear spring rating depending on the actual weight of your trailer. To be most effective you would want the correct rubber shear rating for your scaled weight.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a MORryde on our new 5er, and we don't feel any chucking in the places we did with our old 5er. When I look at the dust on the hitch and see how much it moves, I am always surprised, since I don't feel it move at all.

That, like the B&W, would be replaced if anything happened to them.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe that the 4000 suspension will make significantly more improvement than the pin box, but is potentially significantly more expensive if sub-frame or riser tubes are needed to increase clearance. That said, the 4000 suspension will absolutely the first thing that I do on the next new trailer because it was sooo much of an improvement. But, that isn't much $$ to try the pin box, and it will help.

farmerrob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for telling me your experiences with cushioned hitches.
I do know a lot of you have much heavier rigs than ours and they probably react different to the same road conditions.
We have the CRE3000 suspension on the 5th wheel from factory but no wet bolts, yet.
I have adjusted the Companion hitch as far forward as it will go and lowered the air pressure all around for the loads on the tires.
The bouncing is gone, but we still get the hits to our backs on the concrete joints and bridges. Not killer bad but it does wear on you after a few hundred miles. Age has made it more noticeable.
The hitch is very solid and I have checked the pin weights by CAT scales before every trip.
It is a new pinbox by the way.
2018 cougar 27rks
B&W hitch
Goodyear endurance

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We first installed a Lippert cushioned equalizer similar to the MORryde CRE3000. We never noticed any improvement in anything. Next we installed the MORryde pin box on our 9400 lb. fifth wheel, and it reduced the chucking by about half. Chucking in this case is the backwards jerk in the seat of the truck when the trailer hits a bump. Next we installed the MORryde SRE4000 equalizer. It requires lot of vertical travel (4โ€ above the tire if I recall correctly) which many trailers will not have. In our case we needed to raise the trailer 2โ€ to get it level so the extra 2โ€ provided enough room. Oh my goodness--what a difference the 4000 system made! We no longer feel any chucking from the trailer 98% of the time. Items in the trailer move around way less. The microwave plate is in place part of the time after driving, which never happened before. I am convinced this will be a significant reduction of the trailer shaking to pieces over the long run. I will absolutely drive the next, new, trailer straight to MORryde to get a 4000 suspension system installedโ€”it is that good.

Additional notes: Neither the suspension nor the pin box has reduced the jolt in the seat when the tow vehicle hits a bump in the road, but half the jerks are gone since we get none from the trailer. An air ride pin box or hitch in the bed of the truck might very well reduce the โ€œtruck hitting bumpsโ€ jerk since they would allow more vertical motion of the truck itself in relation to the trailer nose. We have not tried either of those. We had our work done at MORryde in Elkhartโ€”they do excellent work, but the cost of the 2โ€ rise was twice as much as the 4000 work itself. We had the X-factor bar that comes with the 4000 system installed along with a heavy duty wet bolt kit.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
It will help w fore/aft forces generated by your trailer but not so much for bouncing forces. Sounds like you are buying used, MorRyde uses different compounds in their pin boxes based on trailer weight. I would call MorRyde and make sure it is appropriate for your trailer. Many manufacturers supply MorRyde pin boxes standard on their fifth wheels, they do this because they are needed to quell forces and they work well. Many members here swear by them.

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
I have the MorRyde pin box and as stated before, it does help with "Chucking". The question I have what do you mean, "help with the ride?" Can you give a little more description of the problem we can give you better options to consider? To help with broken plates and open cabinets, I'm installing the MorRyde suspension 4000 system as an upgrade.
G.H.