cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Montana Fifth Wheel

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
A little write up in the RV magazine rating the Montana Fifth Wheels in the top eight for cold weather camping . I never felt my previous 2008 Montana was very good in sub freezing weather. Apparently they have improved with their Arctic package.
28 REPLIES 28

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:
Our 2016 Montana Legacy has done fine at 24 degrees supplementing the furnace with an electric heater and we were very comfortable. I have a temp probe mounted between the holding tanks and they never got close to freezing running the furnace maybe 10 minutes per hour. I don't have much to compare it to but it stays a lot warmer than our 2007 Laredo did in the same temp. Also our camper has over 300 nights spent in it and about 18,000 miles with no major issues and has never been back to the dealer since the day we bought it. Good quality or just luck? Who knows.

That must be one heck of a electric heater to only allow 10 minutes per hour on the furnace in 24 degrees , or its sitting fairly close to the thermostat .

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
According to some of you familiar with them....it says little for the other seven!

Yep, theyโ€™re not a house.....We do use a bit more propane than Iโ€™d like when the temperatures get well below zero. Have to run the genny more than we like to keep the batteries charged....that forced air does pull on the batteries! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't think our Montana HC did too bad in some cold weather we encountered in September (well below freezing overnight, didn't get above 40 with no sun and super windy outside during the day, in WY). We utilized the fireplace as a space heater, and kept the heat around 62 and just wore an extra layer. But, I think part of the problem is, people expect it to be like their house in the winter. No trailer right off the lot is that well insulated. If I were stationary and living in it full time, I would spend the money on some good skirting.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2016 Montana Legacy has done fine at 24 degrees supplementing the furnace with an electric heater and we were very comfortable. I have a temp probe mounted between the holding tanks and they never got close to freezing running the furnace maybe 10 minutes per hour. I don't have much to compare it to but it stays a lot warmer than our 2007 Laredo did in the same temp. Also our camper has over 300 nights spent in it and about 18,000 miles with no major issues and has never been back to the dealer since the day we bought it. Good quality or just luck? Who knows.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned and fulltimed in 3 Monty's and have loved all 3 but I and agree with above that is a bunch of Spew the Arctic Pkg on my 2015 Legacy is just Marketing Me and my wife have to crank the Furnace when it gets in the 30's little alone getting down in the teens and twenty's and that goes for all brands in that price range I feel sorry for people that got to fulltime in 5er's in Wyoming the Dakota's etc.. in the winter you will go thru ALOT of propane
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Dont alwaus believe what you read

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
A little write up in the RV magazine rating the Montana Fifth Wheels in the top eight for cold weather camping . I never felt my previous 2008 Montana was very good in sub freezing weather. Apparently they have improved with their Arctic package.

Having owned a Montana previously, and taking into account my brother has a 2019 Montana High Country, they have improved nothing. Its all a load of BS just the same as the spew Keystone puts in their brochures and on their website.

RV magazine is owned by Camping World, Camping World is a Keystone dealer. Not hard to figure out.

My wife ,and I used to joke about the Arctic package on our Montana fifth wheel, it felt like the Antarctic inside it. :B The High Country is the lower end of the Montana line, but I suspect as you say they haven't improved much.

They put a lot of bling in them, but thats about it as far as improvement , if you want to call it that .

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I, like FTG, have never owned a Monty either, but they seem to always come out with something new or different which other mfr's will/will not follow.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

I have never owned one either, BUT....

I have a GOOD FRIEND that HAD a Montana and he had some issues with it AND Keystone... I also am good friends with a manager of a RV dealership that happens to sell Montana's.... I asked him one day why there were so many on the roads..

He said 2 reasons.....

First he said Keystone was the BEST at advertising and getting in front of the public eyes....

And he told me that is because of the price point.... They pushed a ton of product at a price point that folks like and want to spend. I have never owned one or really looked too deeply into one.. They look nice from the outside and on the surface..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While I've never owned a Montana, I've always considered them a good choice in their price range. Seeing them from the outside, in various parks, they appeared to me, to be a cut above most other mid priced FWs.

My Yellowstone Canyon Trail FW was advertised to be a 4-season model. After buying it, moving my stuff from one FW to the other, 250 miles from home, I needed to camp 20 miles from selling dealer. It was 10:00 pm, a dangerous severe storm approaching. I was amazed how quiet this new FW was, compared to 3 previous RVs I'd owned. It was very well insulated throughout.

Just 2 weeks later, I'm camped at 6k feet and overnights in the low 20s every night. Again, I was amazed at the quietness inside, and how easily it heated. I knew from inspecting upon purchase, that freeze proofing was well thought out. The heat ducts followed the water lines through the cupboards, and in the basement. The line from fresh tank to water pump, and beyond had a heat duct running right next to it. Of course an actual heat duct (smaller) emptying into the basement tank area, which was also insulated. I think my FW could handle an over night temp of near 0, but I will never find out.

Anyway, just my experience of a not so much talked about model, the Yellowstone Canyon Trail. At the time, this was the upper end of Gulf Stream products, but being manufactured in it's own Yellowstone facilities.

Jerry

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Can always call the owner of CW and complain.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

Having owned a Montana previously, and taking into account my brother has a 2019 Montana High Country, they have improved nothing. Its all a load of BS just the same as the spew Keystone puts in their brochures and on their website.

RV magazine is owned by Camping World, Camping World is a Keystone dealer. Not hard to figure out.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
The new RV. Magazine does not have a tech. Section . .. I really miss that section. The old trailer life did. I really miss the tech. Section . .Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully, they have improved.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad