cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minor rant about fifth wheel layouts.

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
When we go camping, we spend 8 or more hours a day in bed, and only about two hours in the rest of the rig. Why don't manufacturers devote more floor space to the bedroom and bathroom? I could comfortably shelter a football team in my RVs livingroom, but that space is completely wasted on DW and I. We're not indoors unless it's pouring rain, and even then we'll be under the awning if it isn't too windy to have it extended.

I'd love to find a rig that has a big, spacious bedroom. Something that allows DW and I to pass each other when walking around a residential King-sized bed without either of us having to turn sideways or sit down on the mattress.

While I'm at it, I'd like a bigger bathroom, too. I don't want the bathroom sink in the bedroom, because that's just silly. I don't want a shower stall that feels more like a phone booth. I'm 6'5", which I understand is a bit taller than average, but... The trailer is nearly 13 feet tall. Why should I have to duck in the shower?

Does anyone know of a fifth wheel with a giant bedroom, a big bathroom with huge shower and a kitchen that can actually be used for cooking?
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...
41 REPLIES 41

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
I would think the ones with a rear bath room would give the OP the head room he desires. This should allow for more bed length he needs too.

LARuss
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing we really liked on the Redwood was the king bed slide in a slide. I really makes the bedroom larger. Sorry to have been so negitave in last post.

LARuss
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I have been to 3 RV shows in the last few months trying to decide on a fifth wheel. I Think she/we have found the floor plan we like and have come down to three makes, Tradition, Cedar creek and RedWood in the 38'RE. We are both large people and need extra room ln the bedroom. We found the Tradition and the Cedar Creek to have plenty of room. We really liked the looks of the Redwood but have read many post and heard several negative comments from people at shows. I think Redwood is in the bag for now.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Pick a brand - I think they all have them now.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.keystonerv.com/alpine/

narbuckle01
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of front living fifth wheel manufacturers? Looking to buy in the next couple weeks and love that floor plan. I'd like to review all options before buying... but currently loving the Keystone Copper Canyon 333FLS. Thanks for the help!

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
Like the Montana, here is a new Redwood with a front master bath, larger tub, room to dress and run around, and if you get the slide-in-a-slide option (not shown), it pushes that King bed out another slide depth giving you 41" of room at the foot of the bed without interfering with your patio/awning space like other units with double bedroom slides. The 1/2 bath is a bonus!

RW39FB

You know what... take out that 1/2 bath, and it will give you a really big, comfortable bedroom!

I kinda thought the same thing. There's this huge beautiful 5th wheel with the bed crammed into this little pigeon hole slide out. No room along the sides of the bed for making and no view from the bed.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can't have too much pantry or counter space. The pantry is where the washer & dryer would go. Huge area in the cupboard.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
There were discussions at the Tampa show, as I hear, that Redwood is drafting a pantry option for that 1/2 bath.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Dankenbring wrote:
We just got a canyon trail Aztec edition it has a large bedroom and a decent bathroom. They have many floor plans that might work. It has a full queen bed.

What model did you get?

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
Like the Montana, here is a new Redwood with a front master bath, larger tub, room to dress and run around, and if you get the slide-in-a-slide option (not shown), it pushes that King bed out another slide depth giving you 41" of room at the foot of the bed without interfering with your patio/awning space like other units with double bedroom slides. The 1/2 bath is a bonus!

RW39FB

You know what... take out that 1/2 bath, and it will give you a really big, comfortable bedroom!

Trouble is the half bath is on the lower level and the bedroom is on the upper level.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:

RW39FB

Dankenbring
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a canyon trail Aztec edition it has a large bedroom and a decent bathroom. They have many floor plans that might work. It has a full queen bed.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:

RW39FB

Gulfstream 36fbqs is really identical to that.
Only difference is the dresser slide opposite the king bed is standard.

To other poster, you may spend 1/3 of time in bed, but that time is important R&R time. Get a big open trailer that is all living room space and sleep in a sleeping bag out side and use the bath/shower in the campground. You'll appreciate a nice comfortable bed with shower big enough to actually raise your elbows pretty darn fast.:)