cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low tree branches in my development ..Update

solman
Explorer
Explorer
I came home from a trip 2 weeks ago and broke my ac shroud on a low branch that I just could not avoid. That was a $200 hit. Now 2 weeks later and the trees have filled out and there are a number of low hanging branches in my path out of development. My front ac is at 13foot 5 inches in height.
At the moment I feel like I am stuck at home.
Anyone have any suggestions?
I don't believe the township will do anything about this.
thanks

Update...I did call the township DPW and finally got a call back. They are more accommodating than they were some years ago. They did a drive by and acknowledged some low hanging branches in the street and said they would get to it this summer.
I hope it's sooner rather than later but at least they will take care of it.
I think it's now a waiting for this to be done.
Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch
26 REPLIES 26

dougrainer wrote:
PButler96 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
There are federal regulations for clearances.

For a township road in NJ? Perhaps the OP should call Joe Biden and ask him to send someone over with a chainsaw?

We have a railroad bridge a few miles away from home that the clearance is 10'-6", you drive a 1/2 mile on the same road and go under the same railroad line and that clearance is 9'-0". Not sure how the Feds look at that.

Well , Pete Buttigieg, Secretary of Transportation has stated, such bridges are Racist and they need to be modified, so as of now, the Feds do not like such bridges. Look it up, he HAS stated this. Doug

I SAW THAT :S:h
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
PButler96 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
There are federal regulations for clearances.

For a township road in NJ? Perhaps the OP should call Joe Biden and ask him to send someone over with a chainsaw?

We have a railroad bridge a few miles away from home that the clearance is 10'-6", you drive a 1/2 mile on the same road and go under the same railroad line and that clearance is 9'-0". Not sure how the Feds look at that.

Well , Pete Buttigieg, Secretary of Transportation has stated, such bridges are Racist and they need to be modified, so as of now, the Feds do not like such bridges. Look it up, he HAS stated this. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF your neighborhood has public streets and you are NOT part of a Gated HOA, the city/township will probably trim the trees. Public streets and the clearance of such is the function of Government. You just need to let them know there is a problem. The noisy wheel gets the job handled. But, be polite. In Texas, the city came out and trimmed the trees at our HOA entrance because of this type problem. Doug

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
State roads around here, out in the country, tall trees in some areas completely cover the roads and the only "trimming" comes from tall trucks hitting the low limbs.....

solman
Explorer
Explorer
I think I will talk to the mayor about this at his next meet and greet. I never had much luck calling the township DPW.
Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wildtoad wrote:
Heck, the Feds have very little power versus the railroads. Raising a old RR bridge from 9’ to 13 or 14 feet would be really expensive.

The problem is most RR right-of-way (ROW) predates roadway ROW, so the RR holds legal priority to the ROW.

They can pay to raise a RR bridge but the RRs can apply pretty draconian requirements to maintain access while the work is done. Unlike roads, where there are often relatively easy ways to maintain traffic and/or detour traffic, it's much tougher with RRs.

Overall it's just a huge pain to deal with RRs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen wrote:
Here is listings used by City of Seattle
Clearances
Here is some basic information from
Federal Highways Administration

Clear zone is about horizontal clearance. It has nothing to do with overhead heights (I used to teach a class on clear zones).

There are rules for overhead structures (bridges, cables and other manmade items) but tree branches wouldn't fall under this.

It certainly doesn't hurt to contact the township but good luck pressing a claim. It will cost you more than the $200 to pursue it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heck, the Feds have very little power versus the railroads. Raising a old RR bridge from 9’ to 13 or 14 feet would be really expensive.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have the wife drive the RV down the road with you on top with a cordless SawZall and cut off what's needed. This is if they won't do anything. Do this on your way Camping and leave the trail behind.

Besides it would be fun!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Here in CNY, most housing tracts I know of, the roads are maintained by the local Hiway dep't after once the roads are in. I agree w/ others, try contacting local DPW and explain nicely what's up. More than likely they'll come and cut things down. Yes, all wires have to be above 14' and have heard stories of semi's taking them down if not. If no resolve w/ DPW, call mayor, town super and such.......again, be nice about it. And if need be, like others said too, ask neighbors if they could help you trim things and then set cuttings next to curb for lawn/leaf pick crews as they should come thru every couple weeks or so. Your paying taxes for this service or at least it should be incl in your taxes.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
If its a development, it may be privately owned. Op needs to find out who maintains the roads in his development and contact them, it could be the development owners, town, county or state. Welcome to nj.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start with the Township. The worst they can do is say no.
Then ask the neighbors if you can trim the trees and be prepared to take the mess with you. Leave the area clean and tidy and they will not have a problem with you doing it again next year.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
in my township all I,d have to do is call. over 40 years they,ve taken care of things just fine. some of you should go to a monthly meeting and you,ll learn they are there to solve the problems not make them. I live in louisville ohio great place.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry, but IMHO, missed the most obvious idea. Talk to neighbors. Very likely can solve the problem without getting any government involved.