cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for older High Quality Luxury 5th Wheel

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
So, my wife and I are looking toe make a purchase of either a Class A or 5ver in 2023 to 2024 after my retirement. I have a list of Class A's to look for, now I am looking for a list of 5vers to look for.
Something like the title says. Although, I do not want a huge truck truck to pull it with. I have a Dually F350 and so not want to look at upgrading to the F550.
Any recommendations?
Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD
55 REPLIES 55

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Quite true! The “good” teacher part may be questionable! 😉 memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^I'll add she did a super job towing a 16' flatbed, using a 250 with a stick, on the gravel, in Wyo mts. Kids in rural, or less populated areas, grew up quicker, and were more capable. Helps to have a good teacher too!

Jerry

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Well Ken, How was your oatmeal?

I wouldn’t be uncomfortable letting my daughter pull our 20K 5th wheel with “our” Ram 3500 SRW. However, I would prefer that she practice a bit before taking off on her own!

But......she was pretty good on a tricycle when very young! 😉 memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
QUOTE from TXiceman:

I question the person that would make this statement! Was it lack of skills or their location ( roads/cities/parking lots designed for small autos.

Skills “should” be easily accomplished....my 12 or 13 yo daughter’s first driving experience was on a gravel road in the Wyoming mountains with a Ford F 250, long bed, manual tranny, towing a 16 ft. flatbed trailer when going to cut firewood!

:W memtb

I guess you would be fine hauling a 20,000 lb 5er with your daughter and a 33/4 ton truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You!

My life is generally “wfo”, but I’m learning to slow down when prudent! We drove pretty late into the evening, to make yesterday’s trip a short one. We needed to get home, unload the camper and winterize the unit. Glad we did, we’re sitting @ 7 F right now....likely the high for today! The 7 day forecast shows all lows below zero. I’m ready for March to come in like a lamb! 🙂 memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad you made it and had the sense to slow down, don't rush and take it easy. I have a dually and my 5er is 21K, but I still take it slow and easy. If others want to pass me that is their choice. I'd rather get to my destination safe and in 1 piece than not at all. We, as RV'ers should not be in a rush.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
QUOTE from TXiceman:

I get tired of the people that say they found the perfect trailer and it is a 3-axle toy hauler that only weighs 18,000 lb. dry weight. And then he adds emphatically that there is no way he can drive a long bed truck or a dually.

I question the person that would make this statement! Was it lack of skills or their location ( roads/cities/parking lots designed for small autos.

Skills “should” be easily accomplished....my 12 or 13 yo daughter’s first driving experience was on a gravel road in the Wyoming mountains with a Ford F 250, long bed, manual tranny, towing a 16 ft. flatbed trailer when going to cut firewood!

That said, everyone should know their limitations! Some folks should not be trusted with a tricycle! :W memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Understood. My comment is more to make people realize they need plenty of truck.

Our DRV is 24k. I have towed in some crazy winds never slowing down and never feeling unsafe.

So many people shy away from weight.....I was attempting to emphasize to the op that quality generally comes with additional weight.....and weight is not really a bad thing! As we both can attest to!

And as you also mentioned have plenty of truck......another good thing to have! memtb

Generally, weight is a sign of better and heavier construction and is good. But with weight comes a bigger truck.

I get tired of the people that say they found the perfect trailer and it is a 3-axle toy hauler that only weighs 18,000 lb. dry weight. And then he adds emphatically that there is no way he can drive a long bed truck or a dually.

They need to understand that they need to ignore trailer dry weight and look at the trailer GVWR for truck selection data.

The truthful and simple solution for them is look for a smaller trailer.

Another thing to watch for is if the trailer is designated lite weight or super lite, run away from it unless you will only use it as a weekend trailer a few weekends out of the year.

I'll fold up my soapbox and return to eating my oatmeal.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weight is your friend but sometimes weight is not enough.

We were relatively new at the time when we lost our first Alpenlite 34RLR to a blowover west of Laramie, WY. We were loaded at the time having just shopped for at least 3 weeks worth of food & the water tank was full with 100gal onboard.

The prolonged very strong gust of wind hit us on our 'heavy' side, where the fridge is, & over she went.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
So many people shy away from weight.....I was attempting to emphasize to the op that quality generally comes with additional weight.....and weight is not really a bad thing! As we both can attest to!

And as you also mentioned have plenty of truck......another good thing to have! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Understood. My comment is more to make people realize they need plenty of truck.

Our DRV is 24k. I have towed in some crazy winds never slowing down and never feeling unsafe.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Do your homework. Some are VERY heavy!!!!!

Sometimes “heavy” can be your friend!

Trying to get home yesterday, before the winter weather got to our home......we drove from Cheyenne to Casper on I 25 last evening. “Quite breezy”! High cross winds from the west, we passed 5 trailers on their sides (2 semis and 3 bumper pull type trailers), with winds gusting to 65+(according to the signs along the interstate)......we slowed to 50 mph and felt very stable with barely a wiggle!

The wife just read that there were a few gusts well above the 65 mark.....Bordeaux (just east of I 25 recorded a 99 mile gust). The 40’s to 60’s weren’t bad.....the 99 may have gotten ugly!

Weight is your friend....but, it also has it’s limits. Glad we didn’t get the 99! ;)memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don’t forget the 19.5’s.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I just know things can weigh MUCH more than a person thinks and suggest you should know your actual weights.

TXiceman wrote:
I am a mechanical engineer and get some really good chuckles at the internet engineers.

Would sure be helpful if you shared your extensive knowledge instead of just laughing at us.

I share plenty of information and advice across more than one website. But all too often, these internet engineers come across and tell the unsuspecting that with their 3/4-ton truck, they can safely pull a triple axle 44 ft toy hauler. All they need are air bags and they are good to go.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.