cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for guidance for a first timer :)

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

Early in spring I bought 2008 Everest 33 foot keystone fifth wheel. I'm using it and had it installed on a piece of land that I have …. Without any utilities so basically I am boondocking ?

Here is my question I originally thought it would be easy to find someone with RV expertise to be able to come and open up the fifth wheel and set it up and at the same time explain to me the various basics etc. etc..

It turns out in the region where I am I just could not find anyone ... even the closest repair centre is over 100 miles away and they do not send maintenance or technicians I have to bring the fifth wheel to them (not possible).

My main problem is to get a good walk-through with somebody that has expertise and can answer all my newbie questions.

I've course of tried the basic googling and watched a ton of videos

But specifically I was wondering if I could find someone that I could perhaps Skype/video with and ask various questions. I am a little bit of a handyman and understand the basics of electricity, plumbing etc. but of course a fifth wheel is very specific and has its own tips and tricks ?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Nicholas
20 REPLIES 20

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note about air conditioners and generators... There are more than a few threads in the forums about generator size and running A/C.

If you have a smaller generator, maybe below 3,000 watts, you may have to shut off the ECO mode or automatic idle mode of the generator - you want to increase the rpms of the gen before you turn on the A/C.

Or... your gen and A/C may work just fine being left alone, in which case enjoy camping!

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
As for learning about your RV, they are simple enough, but a few things might not be intuitive.

You can ask all those questions here and you will get answers. Warning though, every question here will get conflicting answers, and you will have to choose between the wheat and the chafe for yourself.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
nykolas$$$Rain3345 wrote:
..."Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax "...

I use that stuff, and love it. Nothing better that I have found for cleaning the sides of the RV, black streaks, etc. I use it on my old Jeep too.

However, you're wasting the product using it on the roof. I'm not sure it will hurt anything compared to any other mild detergent. But it isn't necessary to clean a rubber RV roof, and in my opinion, you would be washing life away by doing so. Spot clean it before adding sealer like Dicor or Eternabond, leave the rest of it alone.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
I am sure he means he bought, in the spring of this year, a 5th wheel that is a 2008 model.

OK, fair enough. My brain must have inserted some words that confused me LOL
If that's the case, then I apologize.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
as far as running the Air Conditioner(s) - be aware that many Ac's have a 2 minute delayed start so don't be concerned if the compressor doesn't start right away.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
as far as protecting the general roof surface I am using an Amazon purchased "Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax " it was rather dirty and so I am planning to give it a second March but is there really enough wax in this to properly protect the roof or should I be giving some sort of additional treatment.

I've never been on the roof of a new 5th wheel mine seems to be rough what is the proper texture or feel should the roof be?

thansk

I've never heard of anyone using wax on their roof. Basically, use a mild detergent (Spic-n-span was the go-to for a long time) and a soft brush and just clean the roof off and rinse it. Inspect the caulking and use some self-leveling caulk like Dicor to seal them. If they're really bad, then scrape off the old caulk, prep the surface and re-seal. For any holes, suspected holes or scrapes on the roof surface, use some Eternabond, or similar, tape. Again, prep the surface and roll it down after sticking. It's pretty well permanent, so don't put it where you don't want it. :B I read about people who've bought a brand new rig and Eternabonded virtually every seam on the roof! :B

x2 on the tank info. Don't believe the indicators. Don't leave the grey and black tanks open to drain. Wait until near-full, then drain; black first, using the on-board flush or, if no flush, a clear elbow that has a hose attachment that allows you to back-flush. Grey water after black. Use as much water as you can when using the bathroom. Helps liquify the solids and clean out better.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
great idea i will this weekend and post monday ... thanks !

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Can you take some pictures and post them?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
as far as protecting the general roof surface I am using an Amazon purchased "Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax " it was rather dirty and so I am planning to give it a second March but is there really enough wax in this to properly protect the roof or should I be giving some sort of additional treatment.

I've never been on the roof of a new 5th wheel mine seems to be rough what is the proper texture or feel should the roof be?

thansk

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
Next question is related maintaining the roof and joints.

I have been sufficiently warned about maintaining the quality of the joints to make sure there is no water infiltration. I know that all the joints were redone about two years ago. What is the typical time that they should be redone?

Or is it a matter of simply touching up and patching places etc?

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:

Assuming the generator is powerful enough to enable the compressor to start, the AC should just be a matter of turning it on and setting the temperature. Typical RV AC units draw around 2,000 watts briefly to start the compressor. There is also a converter/charger that will add continuous draw to the tune of 600 or so watts to recharge the batteries, but everything is integrated, so that merely plugging in the RV power cord should power up everything.

thanks! exactly the kind of answers i need !

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
2012Coleman wrote:
thanks for all the replies 🙂 it is truly appreciated !

my first question would be with the air conditioner:)

I have not yet turned it on. Are there any measures that should be taken? or is it simply powered it on and turn it on?

How long do these air-conditioners typically work?
You OP stated that you don't have utilities. How are you using anything that runs on water or electricity?

a quiet generator 🙂 I basically do go up on weekends and my goal is to simply cool off the 5th wheel a few hours before going to sleep 🙂

Assuming the generator is powerful enough to enable the compressor to start, the AC should just be a matter of turning it on and setting the temperature. Typical RV AC units draw around 2,000 watts briefly to start the compressor. There is also a converter/charger that will add continuous draw to the tune of 600 or so watts to recharge the batteries, but everything is integrated, so that merely plugging in the RV power cord should power up everything.

Given that RVs are pretty standardized, absent any major modifications having been made to your unit, you should be able to just swing by any RV dealer and act like a newby considering buying to get any salesman to answer questions about any rig on the lot. If you prowl around a wee bit first and pick one that seems to have the controls like yours, you should be able to get most of your questions answered.

For what it is worth, the standard water-level indicators for fresh water, gray, and black tanks never work as designed, and lie all the time. Also, it's not obvious, but you want to leave the gray and black tanks discharge valves closed until the tanks get full, then dump, using the gray water to flush out the chunks from the slinky hose. If you simply leave both valves open, you will create a large concrete-like pile of poop in the black tank that will prove impossible to dislodge when it becomes too annoying to ignore.

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

I have not yet turned it on. Are there any measures that should be taken? or is it simply powered it on and turn it on?

You OP stated that you don't have utilities. How are you using anything that runs on water or electricity?

a quiet generator 🙂 I basically do go up on weekends and my goal is to simply cool off the 5th wheel a few hours before going to sleep 🙂

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS