cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

King pin stabilizer ?

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
On my old 5th wheel it had just screw down jack in the rear and I used a king pin stabilizer and it did help with the 5er movement. Our new 5er has the auto leveling which puts a lot of weight on the jacks at 4 points. So my question is those with auto leveling do you use and if so are there much improvement using a king pin stabilizer?
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate
25 REPLIES 25

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I get a kick out of the people that place a stabilizer under an air bag kingpin.

Yes, that WAS ME in my rookie season in a 5'er. . . . Lot's of laughs...Lot's of learning ...

After all, I knew it all ! ! ! :S

Yes we have ALL made plenty of ROOKIE mistakes. Years ago forgot to put TV antenna down. Got waived at shortly before overpass, pulled over to see what was wrong!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98 wrote:
I get a kick out of the people that place a stabilizer under an air bag kingpin.

Yes, that WAS ME in my rookie season in a 5'er. . . . Lot's of laughs...Lot's of learning ...

After all, I knew it all ! ! ! :S
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

** YUP **

I had one with my 1st fiver back in "08".. Some lucky winner on here received it for free from me a month or so later..

Never looked back
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 42โ€™ fifth wheel and it has the 6 point hydraulic leveling system. Itโ€™s a front living room and has a lot of bounce with our two kids and 2 65lb dogs as well.
We use the king pin stabilizer and it helps a lot.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
A kingpin stabilizer with a little modification would make a great satellite dish mount for the front of the 5er and double as a head protector.

Especially as there's so many free ones out there! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
How did this thread morph into a discussion of slide out supports, from king pin stabilizers?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
A kingpin stabilizer with a little modification would make a great satellite dish mount for the front of the 5er and double as a head protector.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
davosfam wrote:
Wish I would have read this a few days ago. We have a 4-pt. system but still feel movement, especially in the bedroom and LR slide. We ordered a pin stabilizer, slide stabilizers and jacks for the rear bumper. Our 5'er is set up on our lot and doesn't move so we only have to set up everything once and then we're done. Wouldn't bother with all of this if we had to do it every weekend.

Shoot, if it's a permanent site, just jack the durn thing up, put blocks under the frame, take the tires off and skirt it. I would =never= use slide stabilizers without the frame being blocked. Imagine the damage caused if the rig settled for some reason!

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Those slide out stabilizers come from the era before powered slides and were to use under what we then called tip outs or pull outs (no power). Most modern trailers have powered side outs now and most trailer mfg don't recommended their use. Check with your trailer mfg for their input on their use.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the group that also sold it. It didnt seem to do much, weighed a ton and took up a lot of room. I put JT's on instead.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Wish I would have read this a few days ago. We have a 4-pt. system but still feel movement, especially in the bedroom and LR slide. We ordered a pin stabilizer, slide stabilizers and jacks for the rear bumper. Our 5'er is set up on our lot and doesn't move so we only have to set up everything once and then we're done. Wouldn't bother with all of this if we had to do it every weekend.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cougar28 wrote:
On my old 5th wheel it had just screw down jack in the rear and I used a king pin stabilizer and it did help with the 5er movement. Our new 5er has the auto leveling which puts a lot of weight on the jacks at 4 points. So my question is those with auto leveling do you use and if so are there much improvement using a king pin stabilizer?

I have a 4-pt system and factory JT Strongarms. It's so stable with only the 4-pt down, that I sometimes forget to lock the JTs and hardly notice it. :B

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replys.Think my stablilizer will stay with the old 5th wheel. My son has our old 5th wheel now so he won't have to buy one.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate