cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is a stabilizer jack for fifth wheel hitch worth the money?

MrGadget365
Explorer
Explorer
I notice that some full-time RVers have a stabilizer jack on their fifth wheel hitch when it's parked. What benefits does the stabilizer jack provide? Is it worth the expense and weight to lug around?
2018 RAM 3500 Diesel, Hensley BD5-D, KZ Durango Gold 356RLT 2020
24 REPLIES 24

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Since my wife thinks it makes her life better, then it is worth it!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
I am very sensitive to the rocking and rolling in fifth wheels. We have triplet 8 y.o. boys so there's a LOT of commotion going on at all times.

So I had the Steadyfast stabilizer system installed. That seemed to great reduce the motions by about 80%. But we still felt the bouncing in our bedroom when the kids jumped off their rear bunks. So I installed the BAL kingpin tripod. That got us to about 95% elimination of the vibrations. I still feel a bit of it, but it's nowhere near as irritating now.

I suspect BAL tripod helped because the Steadyarm system took care of most of the motion, but the master bedroom is partly suspended over nothing. And that's where my head is. So having the tripod under the kingpin really reduces the purposing effect when the kids are jumping.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
I installed JT stabilizer system on my 35ft rig. ALL the difference in the world for stability. virtually no shake at all when parked.
I had to have a crossbar welded for the rear struts so they didn't interfere with the pullout rack. Used 1/4 inch angle hard steel.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I think that several factors may lead to an answer. How sensitive are you to some RV movement? Are you using conventional โ€œstabilizersโ€ or have hydraulic leveling....which โ€œshouldโ€ offer a little more stability. How heavy is the RV, and how โ€œstiffโ€ is the frame of your RV? We have a heavy RV ,20K pounds when loaded) with a rigid frame.....you could Square Dance inside, with little shake or movement! A lighter, less rigid framed RV, would likely exhibit much more movement!
Itโ€™s strictly a personal preference thing! For us, in 30 years of 5th wheel use.....weโ€™ve never seen it as an issue! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Dad full timed for years. Often when family came to visit his site he would put down the rear stabilizers. When I asked he said as long as he was the only 1 in camper it only moved when he did. Unless something rattled, he did not notice. But somebody else step in would wake him from sound sleep.
Once he had door open was messing in the front. He said that 'coon might of been inside all night if the stab where down.

Jjsimon111
Explorer
Explorer
Worthless, I had one and used it a couple of times and after lugging it around I got rid of it.

Jjsimon111
Explorer
Explorer
Worthless, I had one and used it a couple of times and after lugging it around I got rid of it.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
When we are set up in the same spot more than two nights, my wife thinks it makes the rig more stable. That makes it worth it!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Had the Steadyfast on my 2008 Montana . With this new fifth wheel with the six point level up nothing more is needed. Yes had the kingpin jack years ago , pretty much worthless.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you're talking about a king pin stabilizer. They work, just clumsy and heavy. Together with wheel chocks and rear stabilizers my rig is pretty solid. I don't like movement.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has been holding up the wall in my shed, where it's been placed to store, for years. I installed the steady fast system on my 5er.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Or do nothing. The cost is zero and after a while you get used to the motion. I have a washer/dryer combo in my front bedroom and the motion would really bother me early on, now I can sleep right through all of the cycles and don't even wake up. I frequently turn the w/d on and immediately go to bed, then I have fresh clean/dry clothes when I get up in the morning.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and some sites, you cannot use it due to trailer pin too high or too low. Does it do much good....not really.

I am tired of hauling it around and ready to prop it up at the front of the trailer with a for sale sign.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
As you said you saw in campgrounds many folks use them. I use one and I understand they only work to control side to side movement at the front of the trailer.
For the rear I use BAL telescoping stabilizer jacks which eliminate rear side to side moving.
I use a pair of adjustable chocks between the tires which eliminates fore and aft movement. Due to a med condition I have to have my trailer rock solid.

Or as some folks do....go with the JTs or that type of product if your unit has the wiggles when some one moves or walks inside the trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides