cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interior Stairs Protection?

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
The stairs leading up to our bedroom are wooden. Was out checking on the camper today and noticed some scratches on them, likely from being at the dealer for warranty.

Now, this is very minor, and nothing beyond normal wear and tear, but since they are wooden, and the floors leading to them and above them are laminate, just was wondering if anyone covers the steps alone?

We bought this FW in August 2015, so was used 2 weeks on vacation, then a few weekend trips. With a 2 year old i could see damage settling in immediately this year starting in April.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE
6 REPLIES 6

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
:h

Could be just not enough good finish!

We have no issue with scratching, on these add in steps. I learned about 15 years ago, water based floor finishes dry rock hard and quick!!

I will say though the carpet runners look very nice.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

sure2rain
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the type that "azjeffh" references and am very happy with them--easy install and look good.
TV: 05 Chevy 2500 8.1L
5er: 2010 Open Range 385RLS
Hensley Arrow and P3

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Good ideas. Thanks as usual, best place to come for ideas..
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Could try these.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a 5er, but I do have a suggestion for you that (just) might help. It will take a little effort and planning and research to do this, to make this fit for your steps in the camper, but this is a great alternative.

I've remodeled (almost) my entire house since we've purchased it. I've taken every room down to the studs and started all over again with everything.

Our house has 2 levels, an upper level and a lower level (5 steps). The original steps were horrible, so when remodeling the family room and the adjoining kitchen, I also rebuilt the steps. They were pulled out completely and the photos below are the result.

Now, long before I planned on this part of the remodel, I had a vision of what these steps were to look like. I knew they would be wooden, pine, stained and polyurethane for a finish. I also knew they would get a LOT of wear and tear

Now about 15 years ago we took a tour through the Conner House at the Conner Prairie Homestead museum. It's a preservation of the homestead and farm. The main house was restored to it's original condition and one thing that REALLY grabbed my attention were the stairs leading to the second floor. They used a simple runner. But the runner was held in place with bars that were attached in the corners of each step, holding the carpet down. I'd never seen anything like that before and even then thought it would be so cool to do something like that someday.

Little did I know, I'd later buy this house and do all this remodeling. So, here was my chance. And actually it came out BETTER than expected. Looking for the rod, or "Stair Rods" as they are called, I found them on line and various hardware stores had them, but they were pretty expensive, and I needed 5.

Click here. This is what I'm talking about.

Instead, because the steps were quite wide (about 4 1/2 feet), I ended up using wrought Iron fencing posts and put caps on both ends. To hold them in place, I make my own clips.

The nice thing about this arrangement is, by simply flipping my clips, the bars come right out, the carpet runner can be removed, shook out and put back in place. And, if the carpet begins to wear, it's sooooo simple to put in a replacement. This has saved the steps, BIG time, as my son and his 2 1/2 year old is now living with us and the kids is pretty rough of the steps.

It's just a thought, rather than nailing carpet to the floor. Think about this idea. It just might grow on you. Yes, in the photos below, I did every bit of that wood work. That was originally white #2 pine form Lowe's. Sanding took days for each board. It took 3 months just to build these steps and walls adjoining them.

Just in case you are curious, this is what it looks like facing the other direction. Can't see the actual steps or carpet runner, but this is the top. (Yes, I made plate above the steps leading to the family room.)

pahl68
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a carpet runner and stapled it under each stair lip and at the bottom. Looks pretty good. With the runner it leaves about 5" of wood showing on each side.
2018 Heartland Big Horn 3970RD