cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing a residential fridge

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 37" Cedar Creek with the big slide in the drivers side slide thats about twelve feet long that hold the fireplace/big screen tv, cabinet, stove and four door dometic rv dual fridge {that i think is crapping out on us} and want to replace it with a top freexer res. fridge with an ice-maker like we had in our old daydreamer, i know it'll fit but the slide. running a water supply worries me. Anyone done this?

Thanks in advance!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...
3 REPLIES 3

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Don't forget you'll need to have some way to run the fridge if the 120V power drops out for some reason. Unless you're plugged in all the time, and/or have a generator. Or you do looooong travel days, but a few hours with the doors closed shouldn't create any problems. I haven't heard of any issues with people traveling with residential fridges, and having them fail prematurely.

We do have a inverter but seldom use it as we rarely travel more than 5 hrs. If the weather is very warm I'll turn it on but most of our travel is spring North so that's early April and the South in the Fall.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget you'll need to have some way to run the fridge if the 120V power drops out for some reason. Unless you're plugged in all the time, and/or have a generator. Or you do looooong travel days, but a few hours with the doors closed shouldn't create any problems. I haven't heard of any issues with people traveling with residential fridges, and having them fail prematurely.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the hardest part will be getting the dometic out and the new fridge in. We have an Icemaker but I shut off the water we wouldn't use it. Now I read in our manual that the water line was flexible enough that even if it froze it wouldn't burst if frozen.

On our 5er the icemaker line comes out of the basement floor and connects to the swing arm that carries the electric cord and flexible gas line and they all enter the slide out floor at the same location as the other utilities. The line is in a foam covering like used as pipe wrap mor to protect it from damage than cold temps.

I suggest you take a look at a friends setup or take a look at a trailer similar to yours but with the residential fridge.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu