Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If it's not one, it's another

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2,600 miles later.......
First it was the toilet. 20 years of use finally took its toll. The cable that operates the water supply in the toilet decided it was too tired to continue. That happened on a Sunday evening in Phoenix. 4:55pm. Too late to get a new one. Okay. Just use a water jug to add water until tomorrow. Of course, the local RV parts dealer only has one model of toilet in stock. Thankfully, my wife liked the mid-height model I came back with. Now I have to extend the water supply line to match the new height. Home Depot, here I come. I cut off the short hard-lined pipe....OOPS. It falls into the toilet closet flange, unreachable....grrrr. Okay. I'll deal with that (fishing out the 10" long pex pipe) when we get home. Toilet works.
Next? The fresh water supply decide to give up and leak when connected. We are now in Camp Verde Arizona, where RV parts are as scarce as vegetable gardens. Seems the backflow prevention isn't working now too when I turn on the water pump. Home Depot? Yep. Just disconnect and plug the fresh water supply and live off the fresh water tank/water pump system until I get home. Oh yea....it started snowing while working on this system. Question here: Does the fresh water supply (where yo hook a hose to, have a back-flow prevention in it? Or, is that in the water pump? It's gotta be somewhere.
While in Prescott Valley, my grand daughter's boyfriend (17 year old tire shop employee) notices one of my 3-1/2 year old tires has a bubble in it, on the inner side. Who looks for that? Evidently, 17 year old tire guys. So, he calls the shop and asks for a clear bay so he can install a new tire for me. I get his company discount. Yipeee.
So, leaving Camp Verde, we hit 50 miles of snow flurries. The ambilicle to the brakes is loose. No brakes on the trailer....LOL...while descending a hill. Oooopps again. Took my time slowing down and pulling over. Fixed. Move on.
Get to Vegas to see the eldest daughter. The door to the exterior shower is missing. Ugh. Just bring out the ductape. Worry about it later. Wife wants to go to Death Valley again tomorrow.
All in all, for a 22 year old truck and a 20 year old 5th wheel, the $5-600 it'll end up costing me for this trip, we can live with it. Over 20,000 miles in the last 3+ years, I might have spent $1700 (including new roof coating, AC, 3 batteries, solar, toilet, exterior shower box, water supply box, and tires).
Next up? Get ready for a HUGE trip soon to be decided upon. Maybe the middle west 1/4 of the USA? Colorado, Kansas, Texas, New Mexico, ND, Wyoming, Nebraska, Dakota's, and Oklahoma?
17 REPLIES 17

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
Got one that would have surely cost us thousands if it was taken to a dealer. Changing the black tank gate valve.

Our Alpenlite has a Waste Master electric gate valve system. Great when it works, push a button, not so much when it does not.

Changing the valve, in an extremely awkward inaccessible location, involves getting the tank empty as possible at the dump then going somewhere on a slope, or creating a list with boards to make what does not drain go to the low side away from the valve.

You then have to get under the trailer, with your face right below the valve that you have to remove.

I will stop the story there. It only gets worse.

I am getting a vivid picture.....LOL.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got one that would have surely cost us thousands if it was taken to a dealer. Changing the black tank gate valve.

Our Alpenlite has a Waste Master electric gate valve system. Great when it works, push a button, not so much when it does not.

Changing the valve, in an extremely awkward inaccessible location, involves getting the tank empty as possible at the dump then going somewhere on a slope, or creating a list with boards to make what does not drain go to the low side away from the valve.

You then have to get under the trailer, with your face right below the valve that you have to remove.

I will stop the story there. It only gets worse.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
memtb wrote:
jdc 1, We should write a book together! That sounds like some of our trips over the last 30 or so years! The bright side....it keeps life interesting! ๐Ÿ™‚
memtb

That it does. I've repaired everything, even stuff I didn't know was screwed up until I got home. Boy, I'm glad I can do this stuff, or I might be living in this trailer (5th wheel) because I would be broke if I had to pay RV repairman prices. Yeah. I get sore getting up and down, crawling under and over, contorting my body like a hula dancer....but.....That soreness goes away in a few days,

Some of my more interesting repairs involve weather extremes! Replacing an igniter rod on the refrigerator in blowing snow with temps in the teens on a 3 week boondocking trip, replacing a complete hub/brake backing plate assembly and โ€œdressingโ€ the slightly damaged axle stub with a file in single digit temps (though it was sunny) in a rv park in Evanston, Wy., to replacing a broken spring pack, in an asphalt parking lot..... August in Mesa Arizona. Thereโ€™s plenty more ......but, you get the picture! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Thanks for my laugh of the day. Had to read this one.

We are rolling around the country with a 2007 5er which has had well over 1800 nights spent in it & some 220,000 truck miles. With age & use stuff goes wrong. It has been in storage, & not even seen, since last October but the spring refit list is well underway where we actually do go into a boatyard to do the work.

The Amazon order for known issues gets placed in a week or so. I am figuring 3-4 days of boatyard work. Any longer & they start threatening to launch me with the travel lift.

Just look at all the money you save keeping that trailer and old boat!

Yes, that 32' diesel powered boat would probably be well over $5K worth of maintenance each year BEFORE turning the key for the first time.

The truck & 5er are well under that. You get to a point where the depreciation rate curve flattens out considerably but things needing attention increase & can get expensive such as new stove this year.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:

We are rolling around the country with a 2007 5er which has had well over 1800 nights spent in it & some 220,000 truck miles. With age & use stuff goes wrong. It has been in storage, & not even seen, since last October but the spring refit list is well underway where we actually do go into a boatyard to do the work.

The Amazon order for known issues gets placed in a week or so. I am figuring 3-4 days of boatyard work. Any longer & they start threatening to launch me with the travel lift.

Just look at all the money you save keeping that trailer and old boat!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
jdc 1, We should write a book together! That sounds like some of our trips over the last 30 or so years! The bright side....it keeps life interesting! ๐Ÿ™‚
memtb

That it does. I've repaired everything, even stuff I didn't know was screwed up until I got home. Boy, I'm glad I can do this stuff, or I might be living in this trailer (5th wheel) because I would be broke if I had to pay RV repairman prices. Yeah. I get sore getting up and down, crawling under and over, contorting my body like a hula dancer....but.....That soreness goes away in a few days,

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was fortunate in my 15 years of towing my quality-built R-Vision Trail Cruiser BH I never experienced any serious issues with the unit that included harsh towing conditions in the mountains and coastal areas and some long term outdoor storage in extreme hot sun of Texas and Nevada. Those were the days.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I am still on the fix as i use it plan.lol

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Love your attitude, just take care of the problem and continue on. sound like your camping unit is a true keeper :W
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Furnace Creek fuel is $7.00+. Only $5.50 at Stovepipe Wells.Good to see the RV is still on the road having fun ๐Ÿ˜‰

I was shocked to see Arizona fuel prices higher than Nevada. It's usually the opposite.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
To answer your question, yes, there is normally a back flow valve located in the city water connection.

Thanks Scott.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
To answer your question, yes, there is normally a back flow valve located in the city water connection.