cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heat Pump or Not

barberbunch
Explorer
Explorer
Good day. I have a 2002 Carriage Cameo fifth wheel camper. My single rooftop AC stopped working, so I took it in for service. The unit needed replacement. The service manager called me and informed me that after a replacement unit was installed, his service guy realized it was supposed to be a heat pump unit. Can anyone tell me if that sounds right? The reason I ask is because whenever I've used the electric heat option on the existing thermostat, I hear no activity with the rooftop unit, and the heat comes from the floor vents the same as with the propane furnace. Do I have a different type of electric heat? Since Carriage is no longer in business, I'm having trouble researching. Thanks.

Al Barber
19 REPLIES 19

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If they are going to charge you an extra few hundred, I would probably call it good and set that aside for several years worth of propane for the furnace.

If they are going to swap it out at no cost, sure. Better to have an extra option than not. It's a good option for spring/fall when it's cool but not bitter cold. Also, you don't typically run afoul of overloaded electrical systems like busy summer weekends.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

barberbunch
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if any RVs with an electric heat option ever had a different set-up than a heat pump?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are near full time and pay for electricity you will get 2x the BTU from a heat pump in mild conditions vs an electric heater.
Could add convenience to use electric instead of propane that needs to be refilled.
Might be a worthwhile upgrade if the swap is quick and easy.

barberbunch
Explorer
Explorer
That's good advice. I guess my question was more of a technical one. I'm not convinced it ever had a heat pump to start with. I do know it has an electric heat option on the thermostat, but I've never had heat coming from the the ceiling vents. It comes from the floor vents in LP and electric mode. Thanks.

Al Barber

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how far north you live and use, the heat pump will only work down to around 38-40 degrees. Iโ€™d save the hassle and get a good electric heater to take the chill off and use the furnace only when necessary.