cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ground clearance 5th vs TT

Sunnyside42
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious of anyone knows the average ground clearance difference between a TT and a 5th wheel.

Back story: I've got a few concerns about clearance.

First - We want to keep our next rig at the house. We've got a ~10 to ~15 degree slope on our driveway and from the looks of things it appears that a 5th would give us a few extra inches of clearance when backing in to park at the house. I'll have to back up

Second - I'd be using the rig several times a year to camp semi-off road at RC festivals. Think fields and very minor off-road.
11 REPLIES 11

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Your biggest concern with dragging on inclines, is going to be the overall length of the unit. Shorter is better in that regard. All other things being equal, fivers will have more clearance. The fivers people buy tend to be longer units. But comparing a 28' TT versus a 28' fiver, just as an example, the fiver will have less overhang behind the axles, and will be shorter overall because of the portion over the truck bed.

Another thing to look at is the location of the waste tank drain. I've seen some that were perilously close to dragging. Since we like to get off the hard pavement a lot, I paid close attention to that when shopping. My preference is for the waste drain to be very close to the axles. If you draw an imaginary line between a tire and a drag point on the bumper, you don't want the waste drain to be below that line.

Based on your description of the RC field, I don't think that will be a factor either way.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It really depends on the unit. Some TT's ride lower, but most all 5th wheels ride higher than TT's and some even higher yet. Depends on the frame size, tire size and how the axles are sprung.
With TT's some have the axles under the springs, some over the springs, some on 14"-15" or 16" tires.
My last TT and current 5th wheel are almost exactly the same for ground clearance. Same frame size, same 15" tires and the same 3 steps to get in.
You really need to narrow down what units you're looking at and then see how each is assembled.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Also need to be concerned about the amount of clearance between the 5er and the truck bed.

I have never (noticed) being close to dragging the bottom of the trailer, but there have been many times where I was close to hitting the bed rails.

Another factor (for both issues) is how the TT or 5th is mounted on the axles - over or under.

Although it's incorrect terminology it's commonly called "flipping the axle/s".

"flipping" will raise the body of the trailer - resulting in additional ground clearance -and- (in the case of 5th wheels) clearance between the front of the 5th and the truck bed.

Keep your eyes open - pretty obvious when you see (especially) a TT that looks like it really 'sits high' - has a lot of ground clearance.

BTW - find a friend to do a test drive on your driveway.

~

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
As far as parking in fields or other off-road places:

The controlling clearance is almost always the distance from the ground to the bottom of the axle tube(s). For the same size wheels it is the same for TT or 5th.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I drag my bumper backing up my driveway, but if I back over 2 2x6 boards as I get close to hitting, I can clear it ok. But, I haven't calculated the slope, so that probably doesn't help you in the least.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. Will all depend on the individual unit in question. I've seen both TT and 5ers with really high clearance and others with bear minimum clearance. Take your tape measure and calulator to the RV Dealer and start measuring.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Also need to be concerned about the amount of clearance between the 5er and the truck bed.

I have never (noticed) being close to dragging the bottom of the trailer, but there have been many times where I was close to hitting the bed rails.

X2
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think the difference in ground clearance between a TT and a 5er is 2 steps, 3 steps or 4 steps at the entry door.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
I would think your biggest concern backing into the driveway is the distance from the rear axle to the rear of the trailer. The longer the distance the less slope you could handle.

Bingo! Shadows4 has it exactly right! I believe it wouldn't matter TT OR fifth wheel it's all about the distance from the axels to the very end of the trail.

Dan

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would think your biggest concern backing into the driveway is the distance from the rear axle to the rear of the trailer. The longer the distance the less slope you could handle.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.