cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GD Solitude 380FL-R or Keystone Alpine 3711KP

1970rs
Explorer
Explorer
Doing research on upgrading from a TT to a 5th wheel. We really like the front living floor plans. We have narrowed down our focus to the two options in the subject line. It seems like Grand Design owners are die hard for that brand.

I am looking for opinions and pro-cons of these two brands in particular.

Any info is very much appreciated!
13 REPLIES 13

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
Fireman1043 wrote:
Considering both... so what about this?? Does that change anyoneโ€™s mind

https://www.bankstonmotorhomes.com/blog/keystone-montana-fifth-wheels-compared-to-grand-design-solitude-fifth-wheels/

Interesting first post.:h

Anyway while I am not a Grand Design Koolaid drinker, I think the article is too biased by only pointing out the potential negatives of the Solitude's and no negatives of the Montana's. Worthless article in my opinion.

Dan
And gee, Bankston Motorhomes is a big conglomerate that sells/rents new and used RV's and toawables - notably, they sell Keystone, but not Grand Design.

Most people are too smart to fall for this kind of "informative" blog nonsense.

Looks like spam that should be removed.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Fireman1043 wrote:

https://www.bankstonmotorhomes.com/blog/keystone-montana-fifth-wheels-compared-to-grand-design-solitude-fifth-wheels/

Interesting first post.:h

Anyway while I am not a Grand Design Koolaid drinker, I think the article is too biased by only pointing out the potential negatives of the Solitude's and no negatives of the Montana's. Worthless article in my opinion.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Fireman1043
Explorer
Explorer

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
The way 2012Coleman described his case in feel is indicative of how you get things done. Not always, but most of the time. If you are polite and state your case in a nice way, mfr's will help you. Again, not saying this is true 100% of the time, but has been my experience.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

1970rs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your comments.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Designs are breeding like rabbits. Something must be good.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Grand Design - Outstanding customer support - even after the warranty period. But you should tour both as they have similar floor plans, but different features which may/may not be important to you - extra toilet in the solitude for example.

I am thrilled with my Grand Design product. My dealer had Alpine fivers on the lot which we toured - my preference was GD.

Good luck!
Is the Grand Design service still what it once was? Or since they were purchased has it become just another ho-hum manufacturer.
B.O.
I had some issues after the warranty period - I contacted the VP of customer service via email and received his out of office reply. You can readily find contact information for basically anyone in the GD Owners forum. I emailed him a description of the problem and included some pictures and my VIN number. Not an hour later, I received a phone call from a customer service rep - apparently, the VP's email is monitored, and they were able to find my phone number from my VIN number. I had a very nice conversation with this person about how they were going to fix the problem, and structural stuff - the issue was the awning was pulling away from the side because it was installed incorrectly. They gave me a case number, I called up the dealer, gave them the number, made an appointment, and the repair was done at no charge to me.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll second (or third) the recommendations for Grand Design... we're in the process of buying our second - largely due to the customer service which we've experienced first-hand. Yesterday, we had a mobile RV tech doing a complete inspection on our rig for the couple who are buying it. My wife likes to put people on the spot so she asked him, "Seeing all the things you see, if you were going to buy a new fifth wheel, what would you buy?" After saying he would strongly consider Grand Design he added, "... and I would stay away from anything made by Keystone." He said that Grand Design treats him very well, too, when he does warranty work for customers.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

TXiceman wrote:
GD over any Keystone product.

Ken

X2..

although , technically my REDWOOD is now a Keystone product. The difference is that the Redwood only carries their name. They are a stand alone, build it facility, they may answer the phone "Keystone", but they act like they are Redwood, NOT Keystone.
I had 2 issues this past summer and have to say, Keystone warranty help was AWESOME to deal with !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
GD over any Keystone product.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Grand Design - Outstanding customer support - even after the warranty period. But you should tour both as they have similar floor plans, but different features which may/may not be important to you - extra toilet in the solitude for example.

I am thrilled with my Grand Design product. My dealer had Alpine fivers on the lot which we toured - my preference was GD.

Good luck!
Is the Grand Design service still what it once was? Or since they were purchased has it become just another ho-hum manufacturer.
B.O.

I had a problem with the outside steel furnace access panel rusting and only noticed it after I was 3 months out of warranty. Called GD customer service and 1 week later had a brand new access door arrive at home. So far I would say they still have very good service.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:

Good luck!
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer

Good luck!