cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel economy with 1 vs 2 trailers

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
I see a few rigs with a fiver and a toy trailer. Just curious if there is a difference in fuel economy when towing the second, vs just towing the fiver. Seems like you would lose some economy, but maybe the toy trailer disrupts the vortex enough to cancel the effect of extra weight and tires.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road
8 REPLIES 8

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a utility trailer with a Polaris side by side, full cab. As you mentioned, we get additional drag ( probably due to the square front of the side by side).....especially noticeable into a head wind!

Canโ€™t get you a fuel mileage estimate, as all of our trips with the Ranger behind, have been short trips. But, I can testify, that into a wind ....considerably more throttleis required!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I tow a combined 33k with just the 5er and get 9mpg AVERAGE hand calc. When I add the Kendon MC trailer and two full size bikes I get 8.5 at a combined 35k. It does effect pulling grades a small amount.

Geeze, your 5er is bigger than my house is.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
MFL, I don't intend to tow a second trailer, I was just curious if it had much of an effect on those that do tow doubles. If I was going to tow a double, I would get a bigger truck, and make it a diesel.

Thanks for the replies!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed double, with a boat behind the FW, for 25 years and notice almost no difference in mileage with our without the boat in tow. Didn't really notice mileage when using a gasser, but with my diesels here in Wyoming, no noticeable difference.
John A. Lichty

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Double towed with a 5.7 engine 3/4 ton chevy....26' 7600 lb 5th wheel trailer....3500 lb bass boat/150 ob/trailer for several years.
The 3500 lb bass boat would drop mpg around one to 1 1/2 from just the 5th wheel trailer alone.
JMO the new gen 3/4 ton diesel pulling this same double tow combination may see no mpg change.
I doubt the second toy trailer has any aero advantage....or disadvantage unless a strong sidewind.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tow a combined 33k with just the 5er and get 9mpg AVERAGE hand calc. When I add the Kendon MC trailer and two full size bikes I get 8.5 at a combined 35k. It does effect pulling grades a small amount.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a single axle 2200 lb enclosed utility trailer behind my 5th wheel.

The difference in fuel economy is negligible. I find head and tail winds have a much more dramatic effect with or without the utility trailer.

In fact if it were not for my camera on the back of the 5th wheel I would never know if the utility trailer was there.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I can notice a little difference when towing a second trailer. I tow an open utility trailer behind my FW sometimes, with 2-3 motorcycles on it. It amounts to 12-15 hundred lbs total. I normally will only drop 1 mpg, towing on level and rolling hills. I drop from 65, to 60 mph, when towing double though, which I am sure helps some too.

I see an Ecoboost on your profile page. If towing a second trailer requires more turbo operation, you may see a higher drop in mpg.

Jerry