cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FRUSTRATED SHOPPING FOR A NEW RIG

bigdw58
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I our shopping for a new Fiver. We recently sold our 2001 Sunnybrook and are looking for it's replacement. I will be retiring in the next year and we are looking for a new unit and the more I look and research new RV's the more disappointing it gets. We are looking for a mid to upper range unit in the $50-60K range. We are looking at the Montana High Country, Heartland Big Horn, Jayco North Point & Eagle, Keystone Alpine, Forest River Blue Ridge & Cedar Creek, Palomino Columbus. I know there will always be issues with new R.V.'s as I have bought several units new over the years. However after reading some of the review's on line and the horror stories some people have and not getting the factory support is very disturbing. It seems like a **** shoot these days, maybe we get a good one or maybe we don't. Just hold your breath and hang on! These large issues and lack of factory support and or build quality is all across the board and not just limited to the low end entry units. One of my co-workers ordered and bought a new $400K M.H. last year and it has been the M.H. from H%$@LL. They are now in legal mitigation through the Lemon law to get there money back. Sorry for such a long rant, not really looking for answers just venting my frustration. P.S. I have a 2016 F350 SRW Crew cab Diesel 4x4 truck. I have also considered a used high end model unit but they seem to be hard to find. Thanks for listening and feel free to share your view's on the subject.
2016 FORD F350 SD LARIAT 4x4
2001 Sunny Brook 27RKS 5th Wheel
20 REPLIES 20

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Just for fun, go over to PPL Motorhomes website and look at their used units. It might be worth the drive to Houston.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
RVs at any price point and age are a roll of the dice. OP, keep in mind you are far more likely to read about problems than great experiences. People rarely post happy stories on message boards or review sites.

Some needs to explain to me how buying slightly used gets you out from under problems??? What do you think happens to the lemons that nobody can get right? Sold when slightly used and with no warranty in most cases. The financial side of things can be argued (but IMO the whole depreciation hit is way overblown due to folks just paying too much new) but as for problems I think with used you are just as likely to inherit someone else's. At least when buying new it's a fair roll of the dice.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
My choices in that range would be Grand Design, Cedar Creek, and Jayco, who all have a good customer service track record.

Luna18
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2015 Cedar Creek 38FB2 last fall. While no initial issues, I am sure we will have something go wrong at some point. RV's are made to break and have issues, no matter what price range.
We like Forest River Cedar Creek, because of their build, and quality. We have toured the factory twice before purchase, and the experience was very positive.
Forest River just announced a revised warranty program designed to speed up repairs and warranty between customer and dealer.
Our dealer in East Lansing MI, Gillette Interstate RV has been the best experience of my life......Go with Cedar Creek !! Good Luck...

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Kansas RV. In a previous life, they manufactured NuWa HitchHiker 5th wheels and they are now a dealership and kept their excellent service center open. They refurbish HitchHikers and make them ready for sale. You may find a nice, high quality 5th wheel there. I would also look at Cameo, Lifestyle, Excel, Teton-all great high end brands that have stopped producing.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JMO, but better to spend the same money on a lightly used, well taken care of, top end builder than a new mid market for same money. Agree with others, the SRW will likely restrict choices in these generally heavy trailers.

I know my truck is rare but I believe the first owner went the right way in spending the money on a DRW 2WD than a SRW 4WD. The truck has never seen snow, does not get used for off roading, has only gotten stuck a few times & always carries a tow rope, though it has never been used.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Cedar Creek has always been tops in customer service. I dont think any dealer is worth a crud.
You might want to search out Arctic Fox. Built on an in house frame, and built to withstand the riggers of a hard life.

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with radio flyer, try Kz, in the price range your looking at you can get a new upper end Durango Gold. Kz 5th wheels are pretty well built and carry a 2 year warranty.

Also Kz Durango Gold is one of the few that is covered for warranty repairs if it is used as an extended stay (fulltime) trailer. Not many offer that, mostly only your super high end units will.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My thoughts are there are no turn key RV's. Before you sign and accept it you need to literally check everything, Every:latch,lock,valve,outlet,seam,faucet,switch,light, drawer, door,furnace, A/C, water pump. Look at the seams walk the roof. Check it all. Get help if you need to. If you find something wrong later consider it your fault.
Give yourself at least a couple of hours to check out the new rig rig.
If you start with solid rig you are in decent shape. Pulling off with problems is the beginning of a bad experience.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same as OP, I too own an F-350 SRW (2012 version--less torque than OP.) OP can read his load rating on the yellow sticker in the door--probably around 3400 lb. I would personally not have a problem towing up to a 14,000 lb GVWR trailer although, yes, a dually is always more stable. But, the OP and I don't have duallies.

While the "buy late model used" crowd feels that all the bugs will be out and the price will be lower, I'm personally afraid of hidden out of warranty defects. I'm a fan of Forest River. They have good and bad manufacturing just like everyone else, but they seem a little easier to get along with after the sale. They run a rally in August every year where anything and everything is fixed free even if 10 years old. Of course reservations fill by May and it's a long way from CA to Goshen, IN, but who else does that? The year that we went, I saw floors, fridges, awnings, whole walls, axles, etc. replaced free

I think that Forest River is a little easier than some in getting free or low cost factory repair after warranty, but that depends a lot on your dealer's relationship with Forest River. The Forest River and Palomino brands used to give a second year warranty for $145 (don't know if that still exists, but worth checking.)

radio_flyer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 KZ Durango 355RL & tow with a 2015 F250 SRW 6.2 with 430 gears. Have the FW from new & no problems. Try looking at KZ.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Our first unit was a Coleman Pop up we bought it used... No problems at all. Our Second unit was a Jayco bought new. ...Multiple problems with it not to mention needing a new water pump after 2 months. Third and current unit Keystone Montana, bought used (one previous owner) have had it 3 yrs, No problems... Our thoughts... as with vehicles, we buy used... Any problems already taken care of by the 1st. or previous owner. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

The good thing is that your 1 ton SRW being a 2016 is much more capibable of towing a larger fifth wheel than the older versions, so you will have more room to look. It will still limit you, just not as much
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Don't panic. The right RV will come along. Close inspection and shake it out close to the dealer. And I agree with Work, be careful of your pin weight.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad