cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest River Cardinal vs. Grand Design Solitude

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to upgrade from our 2011 Cardinal 3804 Bunkhouse to either a Forest River Cardinal 3950TZ or a Grand Design Solitude 375RES. Both of these models are elevated rear living room floor plans.

I am looking for input on these models and/or manufacturers. If you own one of these models I am really interested in what you have experienced both good and bad about these fifth wheels. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
I've had three Forest River products, guess it took me awhile to figure it out. All three had many problems with no support from Forest River. Now own a Grand Design Solitude. The support from the factory is outstanding. Granted all manufactories have their problems with their earthquakes on wheels.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
If you like the Cardinal I would then also look at the new River Stone Legacy 38RE, I would say both nice units but the Legacy might have more options standard
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at both and went with a 41' Grand Design Reflection 367 BHS FW. I am impressed with the Quality and fit and finish.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not all GD units have low CCC. The Momentums are toy haulers and can carry a lot of weight. Some of the Solitudes can carry more than others. Our 36' Reflection 337RLS had 2,950 lbs. CCC as shipped (per scales) and we're loaded about 500 lbs. under that for full-timing (and the Reflections are GD's "mid-profile" line). We have found Grand Design's customer support to be outstanding.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at both of these units over the spring and the GD had a low CCC which was a no go for us. We are now looking at front living room models in the Cardinal and VanLeigh.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Take a good look at the carrying capacity of the Grand Design. A few of the big boys I looked at had very low cargo capacity. I have a 2015 GD fifth wheel and it's a smaller model (27RL). It has had it's share of small issues but GD has always sent me the parts I needed. Also be aware that GD uses Lippert axles and there has been a big issue with grease leaking from the hubs(GD isn't the only RV manufacturer with this problem either). Lippert changed manufacturing methods and axles built after 5/8/17 are now packed with red colored grease. If you buy a new GD, check the manufactured date which will be imprinted on the axle. Lippert has been paying RV dealers to inspect and replace greased brakes prior to delivery.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
No input to offer you, but I looked at both models on-line and I'm really impressed with that Grand Design! Wow! That's a gorgeous camper, big and HEAVY too! And a very hefty price tag too! But, its gorgeous!

I love that rear basement, big enough to put a John Boat in! I couldn't quite figure out if that was in your model or not, but wow! Very impressive!