cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel shopping question, rear tow hitch

learfxr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm starting to research fifth wheel trailers in search of our first camper. I have a 2016 dually for a tow vehicle, so size isn't a big deal. It's only me, my wife and 2 dogs.

My big question is about towing behind the fifth wheel. I have a 17.5' alum bass boat I'd like to tow behind the camper. So far the only camper I have seen with a true hitch on the back is the Jayco HT series. It has a 3000 lb hitch and not just a bike rack receiver. Are there any other trailers with a true hitch? The salesman said adding a hitch to a trailer will likely void your warranty. We like the Jayco HT trailers, but still want to shop around. I don't want to limit us to a trailer that is attempting to be "half ton towable" just because it comes with a hitch. In my searching, they don't seem to talk about this much. Even the Jayco HT barely mentions the feature of the hitch.

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded to a 5th wheel with the hitch option for this very reason. It is just the two of us, no kids or pets. In MN, 70' is the maximum length of vehicle combination. Our 2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 295RL is considered half-ton towable, but we tow with a one-ton. At 33', it keeps us at 64' if we tow an ATV on a trailer.

My “16” Redwood has a hitch that is rated for 3000# with 300# tongue weight
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

learfxr
Explorer
Explorer
I just found the site on Durango fifth wheels states all models come with a 3000 lb hitch standard.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
You also need to consider overall length in many States.

B.O.

I've always found these rules to be confusing. According to the AAA log of state towing laws 36 of the 50 states have max lengths of 65' or under, and many are under 55' You'd be hard pressed to stay within those limits with a fifth wheel and 18-20' of boat trailer behind it.

Then again, in both Massachusetts and Michigan (where I have resided) I have registered our travel trailer that it above their stated legal length. Many people with just a truck and a trailer are over the max length of many states (I pull to MI, where I am over length, every year).

What I'm saying is that I really don't know what to make of these laws and how applicable/defensible they really are. My guess, however, is that a triple-tow set-up is probably a lot more likely to get dinged for being over length. It is something to be aware of, but I've had trouble getting a good sense of whether or not it should be a determining factor in one's decision.

Not only that, but what's even a "trailer" differs from state to state. Some states, a swivel wheel tote is a "trailer", and may or may not be legal, while in others it's considered an "extension", so would fall under OAL guidelines.

FWIW, in AZ it's legal to tow doubles if:
1. First hitch is a FW; second hitch is ball, pintle or clevis and must have safety chains, lights and must have brakes if 2nd trailer is > 3k lbs GVW.
2. OAL is 65' but a 10' "overhang", measured from center of rear axle to tip of "overhang" is allowed, giving a total of 75'.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
You also need to consider overall length in many States.

B.O.

I've always found these rules to be confusing. According to the AAA log of state towing laws 36 of the 50 states have max lengths of 65' or under, and many are under 55' You'd be hard pressed to stay within those limits with a fifth wheel and 18-20' of boat trailer behind it.

Then again, in both Massachusetts and Michigan (where I have resided) I have registered our travel trailer that it above their stated legal length. Many people with just a truck and a trailer are over the max length of many states (I pull to MI, where I am over length, every year).

What I'm saying is that I really don't know what to make of these laws and how applicable/defensible they really are. My guess, however, is that a triple-tow set-up is probably a lot more likely to get dinged for being over length. It is something to be aware of, but I've had trouble getting a good sense of whether or not it should be a determining factor in one's decision.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Look at the Arctic Fox line. They build their own frames. You also need to consider overall length in many States. Arctic Fox offers several shorter fifth wheels that might be acceptable.

B.O.

And let me tell ya, thier hitches are as solid as they come!
We ordered our AF with a hitch (for bikes) and it was a no-charge option that was installed as the frame was made.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
does it require a special license?

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the Arctic Fox line. They build their own frames. You also need to consider overall length in many States. Arctic Fox offers several shorter fifth wheels that might be acceptable.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly because of length limits and the legality of double towing. Many stated do allow doubles, but many stated dont. Then you have the laws concerni g total length limits. Offering a rear hitch platform might be a big seller in states thst allow doubles. In the rest of the states its a pointless marketing gimmick. If you really want to take your boat why not instead get a TT and a ramp to put the boat trailer over the bed of the truck?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
learfxr wrote:
I'm starting to research fifth wheel trailers in search of our first camper. I have a 2016 dually for a tow vehicle, so size isn't a big deal. It's only me, my wife and 2 dogs.

My big question is about towing behind the fifth wheel. I have a 17.5' alum bass boat I'd like to tow behind the camper. So far the only camper I have seen with a true hitch on the back is the Jayco HT series. It has a 3000 lb hitch and not just a bike rack receiver. Are there any other trailers with a true hitch? The salesman said adding a hitch to a trailer will likely void your warranty. We like the Jayco HT trailers, but still want to shop around. I don't want to limit us to a trailer that is attempting to be "half ton towable" just because it comes with a hitch. In my searching, they don't seem to talk about this much. Even the Jayco HT barely mentions the feature of the hitch.

Thanks

There are several companies that offer a rear 3k hitch as either standard or an option. One of the advantages to buying a used rig is that you don't have to worry about warranty issues if you =do= add a hitch. Also, if you find something you like that offers an optional hitch, but it's not installed, you know that the mfr shouldn't void the warranty if you add a hitch. Keep searching!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member