cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel Lube Plate -- Who uses one?

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am new to 5th Wheel. How many of you use a Lube Plate on the 5er? I got one and it appears to add too much space (height) for my hitch to lock the kingpin in place without some effort on my part.

Are they necessary?

If not a lube plate what do you do?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
32 REPLIES 32

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
I have one, but since I tow different campers around the country I don't use it. I just use really thick grease on the saddle.

If I was towing just a single 5er, I'd put one on and leave it.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

aviator41
Explorer
Explorer
Like most others here, I use one as well. I do believe that was the first thing I bought for the 5er. Took the trailer back to the dealer so they could properly secure a recliner and left it on. When I went to pick it up, the service guy told me the jack the place up with the fork lift and handed me a brand new one in the package. Apparently they see the value as well.

Sure beats the heck out of goopy, messy grease. Especially when you have the 5er unhooked. I never have to worry about getting dirty or getting anything in my bed dirty by brushing up against a nasty hitch face.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Likes to tow wrote:
I found it made hitching up harder. The square front plate on the fifth wheel hits the hitch and aligns or cams it to the level position so the pin goes in easity. With the rounded front on lube plate this action never happened and I noticed the pin going in to an unlevel hitch. Took it off, problem went away.

May I ask what hitch you are using?

Reese 15K about 15 years old

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If needed cut out the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Likes to tow wrote:
I found it made hitching up harder. The square front plate on the fifth wheel hits the hitch and aligns or cams it to the level position so the pin goes in easity. With the rounded front on lube plate this action never happened and I noticed the pin going in to an unlevel hitch. Took it off, problem went away.

May I ask what hitch you are using?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NorthernNeck_VA
Explorer
Explorer
I bought two and keep one as a spare. Never have had to use the spare.
Jimmy & Kathy
Northern Neck, VA.
2013 Landmark San Antonio
2016 F350
2005 Ford F350, DRW, Diesel (SOLD)
2005 King of the Road "Royal Villa" 34BW (SOLD)

"The amateur does it 'til he gets it right. But the expert does it until he can't get it wrong."

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Likes to tow wrote:

I am not sure I understand. Does any one cut off the rounded front of the lub plate so it is square with the front plate?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think in theory the lube plate is a god idea.

In reality I have never seen the need for one.

Seemed like it took forever to even wear thru the black paint.

I usually hit my hitch with a shot of whatever stuff from the aerosol can and go.

There is no end to the aftermarket gizmos .

BTW i hug my DW not my hitch. :h It stays hanging on the king pin. :W

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Add me to the list of users.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II

Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a lube plate and grease my pin and jaws.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
I always use one, and keep a spare in the cargo area in case it falls off when sitting, or someone decides to swipe it....

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
On our second one, killed our first one when it slid down a little and I didn't notice until I nearly bent it in half while hooking uo.

Easy fix if it does not stay up in place. Lay on hard surface. Hit the edges of the hole with a hammer. This will decrease the diamiter and make the plate stay in place.

I didn't even think about that, thanks for the tip.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Most lube plates are 1/4" thick. They do make 1/8" thick plates if needed. In my mind they are a lot better than dealing with grease, certainly cleaner.

Yep. Mine has been in service since 2010. They last forever.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010