cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel landing gear

masseyman1105
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody had the pin to break or fall out on the shaft coming out of the motor?
9 REPLIES 9

07PSDCREW
Explorer
Explorer
Steakman wrote:
Seems to me that you could leave the landing gear out at least 6-8" and not cause you any issues..its going to be way higher than any part of your truck no.? Whats the need to retract 100% anyway...?

stk

Agreed... That's how I roll down the road...I leave about 4" out and just lift the lower leg. Knock on wood, I haven't broken a pin yet...
2007 Ford F350 6.0 CC SB
Fully bulletproofed/EGR/ARP Studs
Reese 16k round tube slider hitch.
2000 Damon Hornet 2850BH 5er :B
Days camped 2011= 34 2012= 46

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me that you could leave the landing gear out at least 6-8" and not cause you any issues..its going to be way higher than any part of your truck no.? Whats the need to retract 100% anyway...?

stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't broken the pin yet, but did blow a fuse while retracting too much. As others have done I took a black felt pen and marked a point to stop at.

DayOff
Explorer
Explorer
I broke that pin twice and the second time I asked the dealer what I was doing wrong. He said retracting the landing gear all the way until you hear that clicking sound was what was breaking the pin. I retracted the landing gear to just before that point and marked the leg so I could see when to stop every time. Haven't broken that pin in years.
Jim and Karen
2014 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC PSD DRW LB
2015 Open Range 3X 5th Wheel

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I found out this can happen if you over retract the landing gear. You may need to connect the rod Nd a new pin and manually crank it back down a bit. Then put a mark on your gear that shows you not to retract above that line.

taviking22
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I had the pin break this spring, in fact. Luckily it was when unhitching in my driveway. How lucky!

I also had the lock pin on the bevel gear fall out when camped outside Whitehorse, YK, last summer. Used a bottle jack to raise/lower that corner of the 5W until I could make my own repairs. I was not a happy camper.
taviking22
Omaha, NE

'06 2500HD Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ, Firestone air bags
2008 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
2012 Jayco Pinnacle 31RLTS

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Yes

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
One of many pins that will either fall out or break as time goes on!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"