Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fifth wheel gas stops

solman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I will be taking my first trip with my 36 foot fifth wheel towed by my F250 SC with an 8 foot bed. Total length is about 54 feet. This has a gas engine not a diesel and In the past with a 29 foot travel trailer it was often hard to find a gas station with enough room to pull in and out easily. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on fuel stops going to Myrtle beach from NJ. I think mostly on I 95 southbound for this trip.
Do flying J or Pilot have RV fuel areas for gas?Or are they for diesel.
Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch
53 REPLIES 53

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Edd505 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Here is something interesting from the KZ forum. Fuel program that gives =way= better discounts than does the GS or other in-house fuel cards. Note that Emperor Marcus is going after Pilot/Flying J as he claims they have an exclusive contract with them for their measly 5 cent discount.

https://kzfamilyforum.com/thread/3034/new-diesel-fuel-program

Lyle

Only good for diesel Lyle, at some truck stops not all. The app shows which. Took on 50 gallons today and saved $34.17.

Hadn't realized that, Edd.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
And probably has all those items to increase your milage from the 70's
Friends had an F250 with the V10, pulled his 5er great, but couldn't get past a gas station.
My Ford V10 got 10.5 mpg pulling the trailer, pretty much the same as any gas truck.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
Friends had an F250 with the V10, pulled his 5er great, but couldn't get past a gas station.

I heard the RAM V10 was the same.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Sunnysidebeach
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new in 5th wheel but have towed a 33 travel trailer for over 12k miles last year, behind a gas GMC Sierra..

Planning is the key. I use Google maps and street view to plan out my route, and I always plan a stop at 1/2 a tank, just in case, the station I thought was "OK" turned out to be a "no go".

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Pine Barren wrote:
I pull my 32 foot fifth wheel with 2016 6.2L F-250. I get about 12-13 miles to the gallon and I use park advisor when planning trips. It shows gas stations and has reviews and you can also view the station by satellite view.

Here is the 10-12mpg gasser guy.

My bro in law tows his 33' Jayco Travel Trailer with his 2016 F-250 4X4 6.2 and gets 8.0-9.0 on average... MOST of the time it a lot less as he has the hammer down..

Would love to know what were doing wrong.:h

Dang I have figured it out. He is running AMZ/OIL stem to stern. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
D2 said that he needed diesel!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
94-D2 wrote:
I have the hardest time finding appropriate fuel stations in CA. I’m pulling a 42’ Bighorn with my ‘18 Ram CCSB SWR. I have 13’ of trailer behind the tandems and rear end swing is a lot. Pulled into one station on a trip, had to back out. Followed a billboard to one that said RV friendly, ya not. Had to take a double stab to get to the pump and had to repeat it to get out only to find they didn’t have diesel. One I stopped at, I luckily opted for an outside pump because you couldn’t tell the distance of the store front from the entrance to the pumps. Then, the rear end swing was crucial on my way out. Fueling is a stress for me, and I drive commercially (sometimes). Never a problem in a big rig because rigs only fuel on the highway at actual truck stops. RV’s are in the grey. Not really a big rig, certainly not a passenger vehicle so it is easy to get trapped into a stressful position. It really is a **** shoot. Plus, going some places we take out rigs, tend to be small and compacted little towns in the forest not really built to serve our vehicles. I would love for my copilot to be able to research fuel stops on the road, but that’s not in the cards.

So, some stops are left to skill and chance, some are done when the 5er is docked and some are just plain necessity after running out of options. It would be cool if the highway signs indicated RV accessible, but hey, where would the adventure be if that happened.
Why in heaven's name don't you have an auxiliary tank? That would stop all the headaches, you simply fuel up at the end of the day after you've dropped the trailer. Much more stress-free.

Auxiliary tanks are difficult because of regulations with a gasoline engine. Transfer tanks are feasible.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Cummins12V98 wrote:
Pine Barren wrote:
I pull my 32 foot fifth wheel with 2016 6.2L F-250. I get about 12-13 miles to the gallon and I use park advisor when planning trips. It shows gas stations and has reviews and you can also view the station by satellite view.

My bro in law tows his 33' Jayco Travel Trailer with his 2016 F-250 4X4 6.2 and gets 8.0-9.0 on average... MOST of the time it a lot less as he has the hammer down..

Would love to know what were doing wrong.:h
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Fj12,

I chose a CCSB pull truck for the shorter wheelbase and overall preference. The puck system in the Ram leaves less than 20” behind the cab. Leaves little room for an aux. tank much less a weather tight box. True. If I could carry 100 gallons, I could eliminate fuel stops while pulling. Thanks for the thought nonetheless.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Pine Barren wrote:

Yeah, I'd have to actually figure that myself before I believe it. Never seen or heard of that kind of mileage pulling a trailer. Heck, some trucks have issues getting that running empty. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
94-D2 wrote:
I have the hardest time finding appropriate fuel stations in CA. I’m pulling a 42’ Bighorn with my ‘18 Ram CCSB SWR. I have 13’ of trailer behind the tandems and rear end swing is a lot. Pulled into one station on a trip, had to back out. Followed a billboard to one that said RV friendly, ya not. Had to take a double stab to get to the pump and had to repeat it to get out only to find they didn’t have diesel. One I stopped at, I luckily opted for an outside pump because you couldn’t tell the distance of the store front from the entrance to the pumps. Then, the rear end swing was crucial on my way out. Fueling is a stress for me, and I drive commercially (sometimes). Never a problem in a big rig because rigs only fuel on the highway at actual truck stops. RV’s are in the grey. Not really a big rig, certainly not a passenger vehicle so it is easy to get trapped into a stressful position. It really is a **** shoot. Plus, going some places we take out rigs, tend to be small and compacted little towns in the forest not really built to serve our vehicles. I would love for my copilot to be able to research fuel stops on the road, but that’s not in the cards.

So, some stops are left to skill and chance, some are done when the 5er is docked and some are just plain necessity after running out of options. It would be cool if the highway signs indicated RV accessible, but hey, where would the adventure be if that happened.
Why in heaven's name don't you have an auxiliary tank? That would stop all the headaches, you simply fuel up at the end of the day after you've dropped the trailer. Much more stress-free.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
When I said I rest the meters I to only use the miles towing to figure it up and what the on board mpg meter says. It is not a mix of towing vs non towing. I just said what I see when I figure it and what my on board meter shows while towing. Op had ask about fuel stops so I answered with what I see and have done and everyone wants to think that I do it wrong or don’t believe it. Everyone have safe travels and the main thing is to get about and enjoy there rv and the beautiful country that God has created.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pine Barren wrote: