Dually 4x2
6.7Liter HO Cummings Turbo Diesel
2017 Bighorn traveler 39MB
16 REPLIES 16

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
pennysmom09 wrote:
Extended warranties put money in the pocket of the dealers, nothing more.

I disagree - they also put plenty of money in the pockets of companies that underwrite and administrate them. It's not just the dealers that get in on the action ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree with the general opinion of the thread but OP if you REALLY want to play it safe go ahead and get one. Just realize that you are paying far more in a premium than any benefit you are likely to receive.

As for which one? Read, read and re-read the fine print. These companies are absolute masters at getting out of things by the way they write the contracts. I seem to remember reading about some folks doing okay with one through Costco but can't remember the name.

Have you taken delivery and signed papers yet? If not, you'll get hit with a HUGE high pressure pitch by someone at the dealer. Even if you are at all interested (which it seems like you are), decline, decline, decline EVERY offer they make. The price will fall like a stone and the finance guy will fall all over himself trying to get you to bite. Call him back the next day or within a week or so. The deal will be the same and you'll know what his/her bottom price is.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
None. Save your money and self insure, you'll more than likely be way ahead in the end.

As above......NONE!

:C

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
Got to put one more vote in for no extended warranty, a good mobile RV tech will be better insurance.

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember a lot of the components in your camper have 2-3 year warranties anyways. So I would vote no.

GPG52_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for skipping the extended warranty.
Work with the OEM warranty where you can.... good dealer relationship also helps.
Setting up a self administered contingency or reserve fund is the way to go!
GPG ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I put aside 40 cents a mile for repairs and maintenance. I started the "fund" with what the extended warranty would have cost.

southernsky wrote:
Yes you can put money aside to cover repairs but who really does that. We have a 7yr. coverage. Our trailer is a little over two yrs old and made two claims worth $1800. The last just this week while on the road for $1200. Without the extended warranty that would almost ended this coast to coast trip. JMHO
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Remember these warranties are profit mongers for dealers. Our first FW we purchased the 7 year warranty, refunded it a year later, and the dealer quoted $2300. After a lot of back and forth we paid $1400 and I know the dealer still made a good profit. Moral of story is negotiate the price way down.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We have Wholesale Warranties for our extended warranty. Yes you can put money aside to cover repairs but who really does that. We have a 7yr. coverage. Our trailer is a little over two yrs old and made two claims worth $1800. The last just this week while on the road for $1200. Without the extended warranty that would almost ended this coast to coast trip. JMHO
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Extended warranties put money in the pocket of the dealers, nothing more. There are more exclusions than items covered. Save your money! Any major repairs needed will show up early while still covered by the original warranty. Trust me, I know!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
I have to agree, the extended warranty on a large rv can run $1500-$2500 or more.
Daryll

you are assuming that the OP has that $2000? laying around to deposit. I would guess that it would be tacked onto the sales price and increase the payment $10 or so???????????? If he does have the extra cash, perhaps it would be smarter to pay more down which might reduce the payments enough to almost cover the warranty addition.
and if you put that extra 10 a month into a special account at the end of two years you will have amassed a grand total of $240 if something goes wrong.
bumpy

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Another vote for skipping it. The things that will be a problem will happen in the first year. After that, pretty much anything can be fixed for a lot less than what that useless warranty costs.
Extended warranties in this business rarely pay anyway.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree, the extended warranty on a large rv can run $1500-$2500 or more. That money in a lousy bank account should cover off all but the worst repairs down the road. Does Forest River still have the 2nd year warranty available for like $275?....heard that was a thing.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get what you can, when needed from factory warranty! Just forget about extended warranty and repair what you can yourself. Hire a good mobile tech when you can't do the repair.

Jerry

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Search the forum for Extended Warranty.