cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience towing w/ 2WD F250, 2500 or other 3/4 ton

Nighduckman
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I recently bought a Jayco Eagle HT 24.5 CKTS fifth wheel. After being somewhat taken in by the marketing and our Ford dealer, we bought a beefed-up F150 that, in the end, was overweight on GVR and the rear axle rating. For safety and out of an abundance of caution, after much research, we traded it in for an F250, gas engine, 2WD. We got the 4x2 instead of the 4x4 because it is a much better fit, height-wise, with our fiver and because we are not going to boondock and only camp in prepared campgrounds with decent roads. I understand we will likely get stuck once in a while, but, will have a tow strap and I understand we can usually count on a nice 4x4 owner to tow us out and/or we have GoodSam towing assistance. Again, we are not going to off road or seriously boondock. We won't be driving the rig in snow etc.

Having said all that, I am curious about the real-world experience of any others who have towed with 2WD. We are comfortable with our decision and know there will be tradeoffs over 4x4 like much lower resale and, potentially, getting stuck occasionally. But, all in all, mainly interested in what other 2WD towers have experienced. Thanks in advance.
29 REPLIES 29

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
BarneyS wrote:

My preference is for 4x2 but need a 4X4 now since we are spending our time in Michigan winters now instead of going to Florida for the winter. 😞
Barney

Lived in Michigan (out in the country) since I was a kid...always had 4x2 trucks. In 30some years of driving, only got stuck a handful of times and those times, a 4x4 wouldn't have helped.

For the last 15yrs towing 5th wheels, had a 4x4 for 5yrs...only used it once and that was doing something stupid...because I had it.

With the weight on the pin, that rear axle will give you a ton of traction. About the only nice thing, is you can drop in to low range and creep up steep campground roads. A cheap alternative, upgrade to a limited slip differential.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i ordered the F250 because 2WD was one of the things I wanted.

I don't understand the OP thinking that he will get stuck once in a while.

I stay the heck off of slick roads because I have that option.

Been running 2WD since 1999 with nary a problem. I am an on road kind of guy.

I also do not worry about value. I paid less to start with and am hoping that I can find a dumpster big enough to toss this thing in when i am done with it. :B

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've used 4 wheel drive more times getting into a tight camping site than I have for getting unstuck. 4 wheel low will get you into almost any site at an idle, nice an slow with full control.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
You asked about experience with towing with 2500 2 wheel drive.

I have been towing for over 20 years and over 180,000 miles (4 different fifth wheels) all with 2500 2 rear wheel drive. The last several trucks have been diesel but we started out with gasoline.

In all these 20+ years I can only remember one time when 4 wheel drive would have made any difference. After a sudden rain in Florida many years ago the ground became slippery. Within minutes a park ranger had come to help us out. That's it. Not one other time we could have used four wheel drive.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
bought a F250 with the V10. 2 wheel drive.Sorriest day of my camping experience.
V 10 had no power in the "hills of AZ" and after calling Ford about the problem and they said" It's the computer, it may take a week to adjust to the altitude. I said " i'am passing thru and won't be at altitude tomorrow. Airplanes don't take days or weeks to adjust. My wife said"when we get home you are getting a diesel. A week later I had a new duramax. More power than i'll ever use. BUT, i lost my butt because the Ford was 2 wheel drive. Nobody in Wi wants them. I guess they wholesaled it to Texas. Never have I used 4 wheel drive while the camper was being used.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
My 2500 RAM quad cab, short bed, diesel was great when I had an 11,250 pound fiver. When I moved up to my current 13,500# Titanium I ran across CAT scales and found that I made all limits but didn't "feel" real comfortable.

I moved up to a (used) Chevy 3500 crew cab, long bed, diesel and will never go back.

The difference in the ride quality between the short and long bed wheelbases is amazing if you have never experienced it.

The drawback is that I now have the longest consumer pickup GM makes and some things like parking and u-turns can be a problem. (it has it's own ZIP Code.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
When I was fulltiming I had a 1 ton GMC Dually 4WD hauling my 14K 5er and it worked Fantastic but now I am part time so I sold the Dually and Am now towing it with a 2500HD GMC shortbed 2WD Duramax with airbags and It does it better than I thought it would and I have never been in a situation where I needed 4WD and works great for shorter trips if I went back to fulltime it would be back to a Dually 1 ton 4WD And MAN do I like driving the shortbed around town better and so does my wife:)
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed with both. Only times I've needed 4wd was when backing up on the leveling blocks on a gravel surface and traveling down a few gravel roads where the road had some bad washboard on uphill curves.
Since you don't boondock I'm guessing you'll be fine.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I towed for about 25 years with a 4X2 and only need a tow one time. Got stuck in soft grass at a campground site and was pulled out by a fellow forum RVer with a 4X4.

Could have used it one other time just for peace of mind when going up a very steep gravel incline to a campground. Made it ok but was spinning wheels and spitting gravel part of the way.

My preference is for 4x2 but need a 4X4 now since we are spending our time in Michigan winters now instead of going to Florida for the winter. 😞
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Have had a 4x4 for two years, needed it once.

Nighduckman
Explorer
Explorer
We did get the 3.73 locking rear axle. Thanks! We have decided that, if it ends up that we get stuck constantly, we will swallow our pride, raise our fiver to fit and get a 4x4 but, based on what I am hearing from others who camp the way we plan to, we figure we will only need a tow once in a while, if that. And we would also have to accept not getting much in trade-in. But we are comfortable with that cost should it ever prove necessary to enjoy this new to us recreational activity.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Ram 2500 2wd which has worked well for towing, I have yet to get stuck in a campground. My petite gf has enough trouble getting in and out of it, 4wd is not in the cards. It also rides smoother than my buddy's nearly identical 4x4.

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Nightduckman,
I hope you got the 3:73 rear end with the locking differencal . If so, you have the "perfect" set for your rig, in my opinion.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
In 11 years of towing a 15600# fifth wheel we used 4wheel drive in relation to towing one time on a wet grass campsite pulling up a small hill . But it is the kind of option that when that day comes, and it will , you will think back and question your decision to go with rear wheel drive. We currently have a rear wheel drive truck but we did it to increase our payload capacity since we now carry a TC and are willing to take the chance on needing 4 wheel drive at some point. We have been on wet grass with the TC and have not had any problems so far . Our TC puts almost all it weight on the rear axle so when I do get stuck it will be my rear tires sinking into grass or mud andI probably would need a tow anyway .
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forum rules prohibit posting the same content in two sub-forums.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015