cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric dump valves

AFox2012
Explorer
Explorer
Currently own a 2012 Arctic Fox 5th wheel with electric dump valves from Drain Master. Have had issues with the black tank valve sticking either closed or open. Tried all the recommended solutions with little success. Finally figured out what fixes my problem. Drain Master uses the same drive motor on the 3" valve as on the 1.5" valve. Smaller valves seem to work well. After age and wear & tear, the motor on the 3" valve just does not have the torque to get the blade to move reliably. I boosted the voltage driving the motor by 4.5 volts (3 D-cells in series) making the operating voltage on the motor somewhere around 17 volts. BINGO problem solved. The blade now zips open and closed under all conditions. Easy fix. Just added 3 cells in the pass thru. Motor only draws a fraction of an amp. Three D-cells will easily last a full year. If you are having issues, give this a try.
19 REPLIES 19

MOVINON2
Explorer
Explorer
We also have an Arctic Fox 5th wheel (2014) and are having the same problem with our black water tank valve stuck open. We would love to try your solution with the D cell batteries, but don't have a clue on what to do. Could you explain this a little more thoroughly with maybe a diagram or two?
Other than trying to get the motor replaced, we don't know what else to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Could AFox2012 change your preferences on RV.NET so we can see your photos?

AFox2012
Explorer
Explorer
Well after being on the road now 10 weeks this summer, no issues with black tank valve not working. At least for now, all seems good. If the valve sticks or just stops working I'll update my post and let everyone know. Jan

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2013 27-5L came with electric dump valves and I honestly do not think I requested them. I still have a 2013 brochure and it doesn't say anything about electric dump valves even on the Silver Fox Edition. I think Northwood discontinued them sometime in 2014 or made them optional.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

“Going to the mountains is going home.” John Muir

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 AF 29-5K and do not have the electric valves. I think the 2013's had them but they were a real problem so Northwood quit using them.
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
2017 AF 32-5m....no electric dump valves on my 5er
2017 Ford F450 XLT CC 6.7 4X4 Dually
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m Fifth Wheel

AFox2012
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know for sure about latest Arctic Fox 5th wheels. I am assuming they are still using the electric valves. Guess a call to customer service would answer for sure. AFox2012

AFox2012
Explorer
Explorer
Here are two pics of when I was trying the idea for the first time... Not too pretty...

AFox2012

AFox2012
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to BarneyS. Here are the Pics.

Switch wiring.

Battery Holder with #4 position jumpered.

With batteries ready to install

Mounted in pass-thru with velcro band to hold batteries in place.

AFox2012
Explorer
Explorer
I was considering going to manual valves when I thought of boosting the voltage. Now that is working, guess I'll give it a try for the next camping trips this season and beyond. I have liked the ease of using the electric valves. Like many, I was growing weary of having to deal with sticking valves. Maybe, just maybe, at least for me, I might be out of the woods for now. AFox2012

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
AFox2012,
I just sent you a PM about posting pictures. Check in the upper right corner of your screen and click on the red Private Message link.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 that came with electric valves. After having too many failures to work, I converted back to manual valves......no more troubles! Are the new units still being built with the electric valve option?
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

AFox2012
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Traildust.... Just used a battery holder to series the three D-cells. Disconnected the RV positive 12 volt lead from the switch. Series the D-cells between the +12 lead and the switch. All there is to it. I mounted the battery holder in the pass-thru. AFox2012

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Arctic Fox with a sticking gray2 valve. I will give this a try if I can figure out just how to wire three D-cells in series.
Bill
On edit, wiring the three D-cells in a series is easy, positive to negative just line them up. I do wonder how you tied the three D-cells to the switch. Just add the positive to the 12vdc positive switch lead??
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

“Going to the mountains is going home.” John Muir

AFox2012
Explorer
Explorer
Griffy00... Hi there. Goodsam won't let me post pics. Private message me and give me your email and I'll send them to you. There 6 pics. AFox2012