cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do's and don'ts of towing a loaded 12" tandem behind 5vr??

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
I'm heading south w/my side by side on trailer behind 30' 5th wheel, I have never done this before. I have to say I am a little nervous. I know there is only straight ahead. Any words of experience from the Knowing?

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
In construction I always referred to feet and inches as it can be confusing. Example if someone says cut to 54" and you are used to 5' 4" that is a bit of a problem.

Bottom line proper communication is where it's at. I am sure Larry will concur!

Proper communication is everything needed for less mistakes and a reason to not have music playing when working.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
In construction I always referred to feet and inches as it can be confusing. Example if someone says cut to 54" and you are used to 5' 4" that is a bit of a problem.

Bottom line proper communication is where it's at. I am sure Larry will concur!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
A 12 inch trailer? Just put it in the glove box
๐Ÿ˜‰

Reminds me of a documentary about a band that wanted 18 foot tall stonehenge replica for the stage....turns out it was 18 inches.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 12 inch trailer? Just put it in the glove box
๐Ÿ˜‰
Puma 30RKSS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
Get a huge fuel transfer tank. I can drive over 1,000 miles without stopping pulling my 5th wheel.

Impressive bladder.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a huge fuel transfer tank. I can drive over 1,000 miles without stopping pulling my 5th wheel.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Duke-44 wrote:
I'm heading south w/my side by side on trailer behind 30' 5th wheel, I have never done this before. I have to say I am a little nervous. I know there is only straight ahead. Any words of experience from the Knowing?

Thanks

We towed doubles for 8 years all over southern plains states and NM/CO mountains with a 2500 chevy/26' 5th wheel trailer and a 3500 lb fishin' boat. Total length was 63'. The boat trailer had guide ons that stuck out to the side enough for me to see the boat trailer.
I never tried keeping up with the flow when pulling doubles.
This was before the computer and the net.
Use google maps to make a looky for fuel stations/pit stops that have plenty of room to get in and straight out without having to back the combo up.
Just take it easy.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, good to know...
I will be traveling thru WY, ID, UT, NV and AZ. All are double/triple tow states.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you are legally licensed to tow double in your home state and doubles are allowed in the states you travel through. Also check max overall length laws you will tow through. I would want a rear camera to keep an eye on the utility trailer. Also make sure the hitch on the rear of the 5er is rated for the load you plan to tow as well as a break away system for the trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get your license endorsement.
https://drivinvibin.com/2021/03/16/double-tow/