cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Fill up

GJGAR
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 33' 5th wheel being towed by an F350 diesel. I always fill up in the auto lanes but it can be a real challenge at times. If I go to a flyin J or a Pilot station can I fill up where the trucks fill up?
I remember years ago going to a station and the diesel pump stem was too large to fit in my truck. What has been your experience?
40 REPLIES 40

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Why truck stops? Local FJ $3.05 Murphy's gas station $2.42. Fuel after your camped or take the 5W, few stations you can't get in. I take it one step further, 80 gallon aux tank + 40 in the truck, 1000+ range, I choose where & when by price.
Using the current price if I take on 80 gallons I save $50.40
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can use the truck lanes at Flying J and Pilot if you don't mind getting hosed about 20 to 30 cents more per gallon.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
GJGAR wrote:
I have a 33' 5th wheel being towed by an F350 diesel. I always fill up in the auto lanes but it can be a real challenge at times. If I go to a flyin J or a Pilot station can I fill up where the trucks fill up?
I remember years ago going to a station and the diesel pump stem was too large to fit in my truck. What has been your experience?

A 2017 will work just fine, and if you have a Good Sam card, you get a discount at the pump with fuel purchases. My credit cards work flawlessly at the pump at FJ and Pilot.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
WE-C-USA wrote:
Also, you may have to go inside with your CC, to start the pump.
Then fill, pull forward and go inside to pay.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Also, you may have to go inside with your CC, to start the pump.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

GJGAR
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice - Thanks

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Side note...the pumps in the truck lanes pump fuel extremely fast, be careful or you'll get a nice bath.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

GJGAR
Explorer
Explorer
The problem was on a previous truck, not on my present truck. Presently I have a 2017 F350 Diesel. I will go to a local truck place and do a test. If it fits, it will make filling up a lot easier. Thanks for every-bodies input.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you have had a previous experience where the pump wouldn't fit your truck you must have the small opening. If that's the case you could not use the truck lanes. I would look into changing the fill neck on the truck. I would find it very un-handy to not be able to get diesel from big truck pumps. Both my Chevy diesels have had filler necks big enough to do it.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '06 F-350 and if they don't have a RV lane, I use the Truck side, and Haven't had a problem or issue. Just remember to move your truck / Rig as soon as your finished fueling. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
You don't mention the year of your F350 both my 09 and my 17 accept the larger nozzle. Don't know about years earlier than 09.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu