cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

deezee aux fuel tank

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if any one has a tank installed 40 gallon aux. need to no how long it would tank to fill from one to the other. I have had the valve open for over an hour and it hardly moved the gauge
32 REPLIES 32

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
My 4 year old Dee Zee 40 gallon is aluminum and just as good as new still.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
aluminum tank says non rusting so will find out

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
whoah, is the deezee steel? If so i would not touch it with a ten foot pole so to speak.

I never worry about rust with the RDS.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:
One advantage of Titan's polymer tanks - they won't rust.

Or RDS aluminum for that matter

Would not buy a steel tank
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
One advantage of Titan's polymer tanks - they won't rust.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
bshgto1 wrote:
Of course not telling anyone what to do. But have you seen the amount of rust in your tank after about a year. Your trucks primary fuel filter will get most of it 10 micron but you should change it once a year ,your secondary filter 4 micron will also become really dirty if you let the primary go to long. This is like running sand through your injectors not a good thing for longevity.
I put this motor cycle filter in line and in half a tank it was mostly clogged with rusticals ( think Titanic) when it ran out to mostly empty it was clogged so no fuel would run. Just a thought.

After I saw that I went ahead and bought a little fuel pump connected it to one of the uplifter switches and installed a large Goldenrod transfer tank fuel filter at 10 Micron to catch it all before it gets into the trucks tank and fuel system.

There suppose to be a pic of the little fuel filter starting to clog up with rust after about 17 gals. The tank is 8 months old.

I've had my tank since I bought my truck in 2011. No rust in it.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

bshgto1
Explorer
Explorer
Of course not telling anyone what to do. But have you seen the amount of rust in your tank after about a year. Your trucks primary fuel filter will get most of it 10 micron but you should change it once a year ,your secondary filter 4 micron will also become really dirty if you let the primary go to long. This is like running sand through your injectors not a good thing for longevity.
I put this motor cycle filter in line and in half a tank it was mostly clogged with rusticals ( think Titanic) when it ran out to mostly empty it was clogged so no fuel would run. Just a thought.

After I saw that I went ahead and bought a little fuel pump connected it to one of the uplifter switches and installed a large Goldenrod transfer tank fuel filter at 10 Micron to catch it all before it gets into the trucks tank and fuel system.

There suppose to be a pic of the little fuel filter starting to clog up with rust after about 17 gals. The tank is 8 months old.
2018.5 Montana 3791 Rear Den
Electric brakes suck Disk brakes it`s the only way
Andersen Ultimate on the pucks, 5th AirBorne Mor/ryde SRE 4000 X Factors....real smooth ride
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7 Top Dog 5595 payload

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
well added the tank 45 gallons bigger then the tank in the truck. have lots of room for my generator. Gravity flow works great as soon as truck gets to just above 1/4 tank open the valve. it will slowly fill and when I see the gauge start going down I no its empty. I do a lot of long distance travel so its great. I can make it from niagra falls to Bristol tn with out stopping for fuel

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
RVCajun wrote:
I had a 45 gal RDT tank installed from Camping world, which I bought from them. It is a gravity flow with a toggle to open and close the gravity flow.
After I had it installed I filled it up half way with 20 gal of diesel fuel and opened the toggle. It kept my tank gage at full the whole time until I finally used up what was in it.
I read about the vent needed to be open. On top of the tank is an "L" shaped connector that is "ribbed". I got some clear plastic tubing and cut a piece that connected to it and I ran it down the side of the tank. I didn't want any moisture to get into the tank which is why I did that.
Planning on taking a 600 mile trip and having my 26 gal truck tank and 45 gal aux tank filled for the trip. I HATE having to pull over every 200 miles or so to fill up the 26 gal tank which is why I got the aux tank in the first place.
now I can travel all day, pull into a campground, set up and go find a local station carrying diesel and not have to worry about the 5th wheel hitting anything going in or getting out of the station.

BTW I have a 2016 F250 and a 2017 Jayco 315 RLTS North Point

Fred Boudreaux

Hey Fred, welcome to the forum. I'm planning on adding a 45 gallon auxiliary later this year.

RVCajun
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 45 gal RDT tank installed from Camping world, which I bought from them. It is a gravity flow with a toggle to open and close the gravity flow.
After I had it installed I filled it up half way with 20 gal of diesel fuel and opened the toggle. It kept my tank gage at full the whole time until I finally used up what was in it.
I read about the vent needed to be open. On top of the tank is an "L" shaped connector that is "ribbed". I got some clear plastic tubing and cut a piece that connected to it and I ran it down the side of the tank. I didn't want any moisture to get into the tank which is why I did that.
Planning on taking a 600 mile trip and having my 26 gal truck tank and 45 gal aux tank filled for the trip. I HATE having to pull over every 200 miles or so to fill up the 26 gal tank which is why I got the aux tank in the first place.
now I can travel all day, pull into a campground, set up and go find a local station carrying diesel and not have to worry about the 5th wheel hitting anything going in or getting out of the station.

BTW I have a 2016 F250 and a 2017 Jayco 315 RLTS North Point

Fred Boudreaux

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have room like that, I have a Honda 7000 sitting in front of the tank. I only have about 8 inchs left to the pin box

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I put in a 51 gallon gravity flow tank in my '13 F350 last fall. I also installed an electric valve from the Ebay store Valves4projects at around $25 and wired it to one of the upfitter switches. During the install, I worried about trash in the tank, so I put an inline Wix filter in place. The filter slows the refilling of the tank quite a bit and will take it out after several tanks. I'm on tank #4 now. And yes, mine is a long bed.

2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
My inline filter sits under a cover on top of the tank, next to the pump....very easy to change. Thanks for bringing that issue up.

Mike

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Good point about having an inline filter for the aux tank....creates double filtration because we still have the truck's own filter system.

I gotta check my Titan system.

Mike