Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crushed F-150

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Ran across this on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/RVLiving/comments/mdd23q/i_wonder_what_exactly_went_wrong_here/?utm_medium=...
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler
25 REPLIES 25

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
I think its a simple explanation here ,he forgot to lock his B&W hitch, and dropped it on the bed. This all could of been prevented with a steel Andersen hitch . :B

Funny... I was thinking it was an Andersen that collapsed. I guess we'll never know ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ (okay, I know we do know since it's explained at the end of thread... just trash talking)

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson, nice work finding that. Surprising no one pointed out that the truck was facing the wrong way on a highway in the original photo. Would be interesting to know what the official, documented cause of the rollover was. And it almost certainly has nothing to do with it being a 1/2 ton Ford. Isn't what's important here is that there were no injuries?
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
I think there is more to it than is told by the picture. And likely we will never know the real answer.

The real answer is easily found on the web. The entire rig flipped on its side with obvious skid marks and the truck on the guardrail. The picture in the OP is after the rig had been righted.

No injuries. There were more pictures but they have been removed from where they were posted because the discussion degenerated into people ridiculing the owners.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
Dropping a small fifth wheel off the hitch simply will not cause that much damage. As BB said, there's way more to the story.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Ford F150 comes in many different designs, some more HD than others, with higher GVWRs, and higher RAWRs. The Ford in picture should have the towing mirrors, if it was the heavier Max towing version, like pictured in Mitch 150s post. The mirrors were part of the max tow, thru 2014, as were many other upgrades. No, truck in pic did not have an aluminum bed.

I witnessed a mid sized FW falling on a similar year Ram 1500, and while the bed was damaged, it did not look like that.

My guess...the truck pictured may have been moving at low speed, when the FW disconnected, causing much more force on the rear of bed, to cause that type of damage. The pic is not telling the whole story.

Jerry

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the Ford crowd always this sensitive? Wasn't it a Ford hanging off that bridge by the safety chains on the TT? That was pretty impressive. Every situation is different is all I'm saying.
Puma 30RKSS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like I said...Pull Test
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
You people are so negative just because it's an F150. It's an F150 between the years of 2010 and 2014. You can tell that by it's tail lights.

It's not the all aluminum truck from 2015 on.

That kind of damage does not occur by just loading a too heavy load in the bed..

To me, they hitched it up, thought it was locked and pulled forward. It was not locked and it then fell off the hitch and hit the bed and crushed the hell out of the bed which also blew out the back window with the flex that must have happened during that incident.

The pic had to be taken after they jacked the trailer up again and hitched it up or whatever..

I know I am just guessing as much as all of you, but to say "It's just a Ford" and "it's too much for a 1/2 ton" is just nonsense..

Just my opinion of course.. ๐Ÿ™‚ Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a friend drop his fiver on a 2000 Ford three-quarter ton and I've seen other beds and they weren't damaged too badly. It must be the aluminum bed. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Birdnst wrote:
My 2013 ecoboost max tow came with towing mirrors and 11300 tow rating.

Thanks for pointing that out. I knew they were separate when I got my 2020. Didnโ€™t realize they used to be included. I deleted my previous post.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The front ripped loose from the frame and the rear of bed got sliced by the frame.
I am guessing!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 ecoboost max tow came with towing mirrors and 11300 tow rating.
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
It may have a lot to do with the aluminum truck construction.

The frame is still steel. Steel body would have had no effect where it bent between the cab and bed.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It may have a lot to do with the aluminum truck construction.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker