cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter Replacement

Jimfromvirginia
Explorer
Explorer
My Montana Fifth Wheel, 3455SA, appears to have lost the converter. Model number is Xantrex xadc8120. Appears this is discontinued as prices are $599 for similar from them. Seems ridiculous. Looking at a product from Progressive Dynamics, but cannot determine which one. They range from 30 amps up to 80 amps. So question is, how do you know what to put in? Thanks, trying to get ready for Holiday weekend but really struggling. Found it under the steps to bedroom, but getting to backside is going to be a pain!!!!
2012 Keystone Montana 3455SA towed by 2009 Ford F450 4x4 Diesel
8 REPLIES 8

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Randy at BEST CONVERTERS has the PD9200 version converter chargers that has the 14.8VDC BOOST mode modification done to them if you ever think you want to put the 6V golf cart batteries in your trailer.. The golf Cart batteries likes to see the 14.8 BOOST voltage over the old standard 14.4VDC... Cost is around $200 for the PD9260C 60AMP model... That is model I use here for charging my batteries...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
The Progressive Dynamics 80 will handle whatever you put n it and has the charge wizard battery protection.

$300 at CW and probably less at E-Trailer and/or Amazon.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jimfromvirginia wrote:
Looking at a product from Progressive Dynamics, but cannot determine which one. They range from 30 amps up to 80 amps. So question is, how do you know what to put in?

if you have to change converter it is a good time to look at batteries if you haven't upgraded from the single one that came with the rv. size your converter to the battery bank that you want to put in.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Xantrex XADC 8120? Might be the distribution panel?

XADC-xx came in 40, 60, 80 amps. Most RVs error on the high side. Most would be fine with 30 to 40 amps but most typically 55 to 70 amps is installed.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/195424/Xantrex-40-A-Xadc-40.html

I recommend the PD9260 at bestconverter.com unless you have a special situation.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
real great advice might be a simple thing as fuse corrosion .take them out of the holder and clean up a bit.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
the wattage or amperage ratting will be on the old converter. Or look it up on line. Replace it with the same or higher wattage? Kinda simple. Don't buy anything until you know for sure your converter is bad. It's called bench testing. May be as simple as blown Reverse Polarity fuses as stated above.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would call and ask Best converter

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it is not just a blown fuse. Mine had 2 blown fuses once. My Heartland has a 70 amp converter if that helps.I also carry a battery charger after that time my fuses blew.