cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Collecting 5th wheel Tow Data, just for fun, 2000 mile trip

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a data geek. So for fun I've set-up an app to allow me to collect tow data while I make a trip across country this next week. I will post the results here when I return from the trip (around Jan 4th or 5th ish). I am leaving in the morning (Dec-27th) from North West Arkansas, and will travel I-49 South, then I-40 East to Memphis, then I-22 to Birmingham, then I-59 to Gadsden AL (area). Later in the week I will travel to Georgia (I-75 to I-285) and into Atlanta to visit family. On the return trip I will travel I-75 to I-24 to Nashville, and then finally returning to NWA via I-40 West and I-49 North.
With all the interstate driving, I thought it would be fun to collect data to determine the most popular tow vehicles (plus it will help time go by while on the road!). I will take note of every truck I see pulling a 5th wheel, and enter the counts into the app (the app is set-up to just tap and it will add the count).

Criteria:
5th wheel towing only, and for personal recreation use only (no hotshot runners, or tag along campers, as this would need to be another data set on it's own).
I will measure Ram (5.9 and 6.7)
I will measure Chevy Duramax (noting the LBZ separately)
I will measure all Ford models (7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7)
I will measure anything over 3500 in a lump sum (4500's, Top kicks, Freightliners, etc.)
I will lump all overloaded 1/2 tons into the same group

I am pretty good at distinguishing truck models/years. The Rams are easy, as are the LBZs from other years of the Duramax. The Fords can get a bit tricky, but I can normally tell the difference if I get a good look at them.

I have posted a pic of the app I have set up. If I have failed to include anything, let me know. I will post the results when I return.
90 REPLIES 90

Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious, does my 1/2 ton in my sig pic look overloaded to you?
You can only look at the pic for 3 seconds
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
lol, this thread has become humorous.

Yes, I will follow this until the end, as I find such data interesting.

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Would be great to go on a cross country trip. we are in total lockdown in Ontario right now dam camper hasn't moved in a year. Hope you better luck traveling then we are.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
vcv wrote:
mooky stinks wrote:
vcv wrote:
mooky stinks wrote:
And HOW are you going to know theyโ€™re overloaded?

I wonโ€™t know 100%, but common sense and years of experience comes into play. If I see a 1/2 ton sitting on its axle and pulling a 9k lb trailer, then heโ€™s overloaded. Or at least heโ€™s not set up correctly and more than likely should be pulling with a 3/4 ton.
Anyone who has even some experience towing can look and tell if someone is overloaded, in my opinion.

Lol thatโ€™s what I thought! A 9k lb trailer can absolutely be within a modern 1/2 tonโ€™s capability. For what itโ€™s worth, my 5th wheel is 9600lbs and within ALL the trucks ratings. So would you deem it โ€œoverloadedโ€ as you pass by me?

There is a difference in a 1/2 ton property set up to tow 9k lbs verses one that is not. In fact some modern 1/2 tons can tow 12k, but you are going to struggle. My โ€œoverloadedโ€ 1/2 ton category applies to those who are obviously overloaded.
Are you implying every 1/2 ton truck can tow at 9k lbs and not be overloaded?

Of course not. How could I tell by passing them on the highway. No way of knowing how theyโ€™re equipped or how much the rig ways. That was my point.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's my take on this very unsafe meaningless guessing game.
So a 2003 Ford F350 goes by. 100 yards across the center divider well treed at a closing rate of 130 mph? It's too far away to hear, so is it a 7.3 or a 6.0? Good luck with that.
How about a 2007 Dodge? They were still Dodges then. 5.9 or 6.7? Good luck with that one as well.
LBZ GMs were also a mixed bag. They had a pretty short run all things considered and overlapped model years as well.
May as well include color, lifted or not, 4WD or not, etc, etc.
Your wife is going to tell you something after you interrupt her reading, napping, and talking on the phone long enough.
Puma 30RKSS

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Sounds boring..........data collecting not the 'sight seeing'

We use to make note of License Plates when we were FT just for fun/curiosity but once the vehicle was gone so was the 'data'

What good will this 'data' be for?

150/1500, 250/2500. 350/3500 SRW, 350/3500 DRW, 450/4500, 550/5500.....
Does it really matter?

And after you collect/correlate all this 'data' then what?

What am I going to do with the data? Iโ€™ll post it here and watch people like you critique, criticize and wonder why Iโ€™m doing it.
Iโ€™m doing it b/c I enjoy it.

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
vcv wrote:
mooky stinks wrote:

I wonโ€™t know 100%, but common sense and years of experience comes into play. If I see a 1/2 ton sitting on its axle and pulling a 9k lb trailer, then heโ€™s overloaded. Or at least heโ€™s not set up correctly and more than likely should be pulling with a 3/4 ton.
Anyone who has even some experience towing can look and tell if someone is overloaded, in my opinion.

Lol thatโ€™s what I thought! A 9k lb trailer can absolutely be within a modern 1/2 tonโ€™s capability. For what itโ€™s worth, my 5th wheel is 9600lbs and within ALL the trucks ratings. So would you deem it โ€œoverloadedโ€ as you pass by me?

There is a difference in a 1/2 ton property set up to tow 9k lbs verses one that is not. In fact some modern 1/2 tons can tow 12k, but you are going to struggle. My โ€œoverloadedโ€ 1/2 ton category applies to those who are obviously overloaded.
Are you implying every 1/2 ton truck can tow at 9k lbs and not be overloaded?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds boring..........data collecting not the 'sight seeing'

We use to make note of License Plates when we were FT just for fun/curiosity but once the vehicle was gone so was the 'data'

What good will this 'data' be for?

150/1500, 250/2500. 350/3500 SRW, 350/3500 DRW, 450/4500, 550/5500.....
Does it really matter?

And after you collect/correlate all this 'data' then what?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
vcv wrote:
mooky stinks wrote:

2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I did a survey of "Independent" RV/HotShot light trucks in 2016 traveling from SoCal to Elkhart, IN. It was EZ-PZ as mentioned pen and paper. Example below. The result was RAM #1 by far, Ford and GM were close until we got into Elkhart area and there were many 7.3 older Fords doing local hauls between suppliers.[qoute]

If I were to include the Hot shots, Ram would be far ahead already on my survey. I would say 75% of the hot shots Iโ€™ve seen are Ram. But the Ford 6.7 so far is winning on the recreational survey so far (just by a hair). My next leg of the trip will be on I-75 (North and South), so I should pick up more good data.

Iโ€™ve also changed my criteria to include โ€˜largeโ€™ tag along trailers (campers only) instead of only 5th wheels. To my surprise, Iโ€™m seeing more and more tag along trailers behind the 3/4 ton trucks these days.

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
How about 1/2 tons that are not overloaded?

Because I am measuring heavy campers/trailers that โ€˜shouldโ€™ be pulled with a 3/4 or larger truck. So the question is... What trucks are pulling the heavy trailers? If I see a properly loaded 1/2 ton truck (matched correctly), then I donโ€™t include this in the data, b/c Iโ€™m not measuring tow vehicles for lighter weight trailers. Like wise, if I see a 3/4 ton truck pulling a lightweight trailer (something built for a 1/2 ton), Iโ€™m not including this in the data.
I am measuring overloaded 1/2 tons b/c they are pulling a trailer that I think should be pulled by a 3/4 ton or better truck.

1/2 ton category would be a different subset.

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
OP I am confident you can drive and chew gum at the same time.

Iโ€™m 2 days into the trip and have made it to AL. The app is working great. So far Ford 6.7โ€™s are in the lead, but only by a hair. Ram is only a couple behind, with Dmax in 3rd. A couple 6.0โ€™s so far. And 2 LBZs. Also seen a Top Kick pulling a triple axle horse trailer. I including him in the data b/c the horse trailer had sleeping quarters (half the trailer was living quarters).

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
My only thought is don't get so fixated on collecting data that you don't pay sufficient attention to what's going on around you. Maybe let the passenger collect all the data, and you just alert them when there is data to collect.

โ€œFixatedโ€? Iโ€™m not going to compromise safety by focusing on trucks more than the road. Just a quick glance, no different than anyone else glances at other trucks on the road. I can walk and chew gum. And the wife will be holding the cell phone most of the time logging the data.

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
I hope you won't be "tapping" the phone while driving...

Rob

Yeah, I was going to use my old fashion bean counter but it was too big to fit on the dash...