Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic Accessories PermaPro 5th wheel cover

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am looking to protect my 5th Wheel during the summer months mostly from sun damage. During the winter it is stored underground in a limestone mine.

I don't want or need a heavy cover and this one looks like it would meet my needs.

Can anyone that has used this specific cover comment on it? What are the pros and cons? Would you buy another one?

How difficult is it to put on and take off?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
10 REPLIES 10

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:

What I am trying to delay / prevent is the sun damage to the decals and finish. My old 5th wheel I ended up peeling off the decals because they were so bad. This unit has to last and I want to do everything I can within financial reson to protect it.

Thanks!

Dave

Figured a pic would help you see it in person. Its not the best but ypu get the idea. This was early in the winter before we really had any snow.

Don't know your exact situation but I couldn't imagine trying to install this or take it off during the summer between trips. My wife thinks I'm too crazy now because I don't like leaving the slides out. It's definitely harder to remove it than install and forget about folding it. Mines sitting in a a huge folded pile in the basement because everything's so wet around here that I don't dare try to roll the cover up and put it away.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
2012Oudoorsman wrote:
Got a perma pro for my 5er. Bought it mainly for the sun protection as our last camper became faded in 4 years. As described it's a unique material and I bought it knowing this. It fit well and installed quite easily. Straps all worked well. Where my camper was stored was dug out and had banks on both sides and a row of pine trees protecting it from the wind.

For 2 days I moved it so I could get the snow off and get it to the dealer. During these two days the winds were pretty constant and the cover was moving. I'd be quite worried about the damage to the paint if it was longer than 2 days. For this entire winter i have 1 little tiny spot that rubbed but extremely minor. I protected most sharp edges but forgot about the ladder. That is the only mark on the cover and it's more of a rub through than a cut.

Overall I'm happy that I bought it and it's working for its intended purpose and would buy it again. It should come with instructions on how to pack it back up not install it.

Prices for these cover are all over the place. I got th 40' long and extra tall version for about 400 through tweetys. Amazon was near 500.

Thanks for the review!

If I use this cover it would only be for the summer camping season. The 5th wheel gets stored at the end of October and will be coming out middle of next month so the cover will not be used in winter weather at all.

What I am trying to delay / prevent is the sun damage to the decals and finish. My old 5th wheel I ended up peeling off the decals because they were so bad. This unit has to last and I want to do everything I can within financial reson to protect it.

Thanks!

Dave

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
Got a perma pro for my 5er. Bought it mainly for the sun protection as our last camper became faded in 4 years. As described it's a unique material and I bought it knowing this. It fit well and installed quite easily. Straps all worked well. Where my camper was stored was dug out and had banks on both sides and a row of pine trees protecting it from the wind.

For 2 days I moved it so I could get the snow off and get it to the dealer. During these two days the winds were pretty constant and the cover was moving. I'd be quite worried about the damage to the paint if it was longer than 2 days. For this entire winter i have 1 little tiny spot that rubbed but extremely minor. I protected most sharp edges but forgot about the ladder. That is the only mark on the cover and it's more of a rub through than a cut.

Overall I'm happy that I bought it and it's working for its intended purpose and would buy it again. It should come with instructions on how to pack it back up not install it.

Prices for these cover are all over the place. I got th 40' long and extra tall version for about 400 through tweetys. Amazon was near 500.

rbcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe some kind of protective coating might be best. some of them come with a five year warranty? I don't know how well they work or what kind of coverage they have for failure.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I had a ADCO for a previous 31ft 5th wheel. I real bear to put on. It ripped the first year. I think it's out in my barn. Unused for 4 years.
I have a Classic for the cabover. Not too bad to put on, but no picnic. I'm on my second one in 3 years. If it lasts a year it's good. But I keep it on all year. It's the model with a white top and grey sides, if that helps.
I hope to build a metal cover sometime soon.
Why can't you use the underground storage in the summer?

The first reason is that they do not store in the summer unless you can fit in the controlled climate section. My 5th wheel is to tall to fit there and the 2nd reason is that it is a 2 hour drive away.

I wish I lived on enough property to build a building to store it in full time. My previous 5th wheel lost all the decals and the drivers side delaminated. This one will probably be my last so I want to do everything I can to protect it.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I had a ADCO for a previous 31ft 5th wheel. I real bear to put on. It ripped the first year. I think it's out in my barn. Unused for 4 years.
I have a Classic for the cabover. Not too bad to put on, but no picnic. I'm on my second one in 3 years. If it lasts a year it's good. But I keep it on all year. It's the model with a white top and grey sides, if that helps.
I hope to build a metal cover sometime soon.
Why can't you use the underground storage in the summer?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
dpgllg wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
I believe that is the cover that I purchased originally. I took it back because it did not keep water out, which is what I needed. If it is only for sun protection I believe it would be a good cover. It is more like parachute material so it is easy to install and take off. Looks like it would be hard to tear.

Thanks for your response. If it does not protect against water do you think it was breathable? I don't want water trapped underneath to cause mold.

Thanks again!
If it won't stop the water..then it must be breathable.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hasn't anyone had some experience with this cover?

I need to make a decision soon as I pull my 5th wheel out of storage in about a month from now.

Thanks!

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
I believe that is the cover that I purchased originally. I took it back because it did not keep water out, which is what I needed. If it is only for sun protection I believe it would be a good cover. It is more like parachute material so it is easy to install and take off. Looks like it would be hard to tear.

Thanks for your response. If it does not protect against water do you think it was breathable? I don't want water trapped underneath to cause mold.

Thanks again!

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II