cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check valve location

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Settle a discussion. If you add a check valve to PREVENT back flow to the on-board water tank should it be on the house side of the pump or the water tank side, or does it matter not? The trailer does not have a valve to fill the on-board from the CG water connection, only a direct fill. Thank You in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
It always matters. Check valves in industrial installs are usually placed downstream of the pump, because of restrictions to flow through them is less noticeable to the discharge.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Tom_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
Does it really matter? As far as I know, it makes no difference, well, if, of course, everything is done correctly

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Old Biscuit, you nailed it. The pump was new last season. Problem is with pump check valve. Install on the tank side is the best solution. Thanks to all.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
I would put it on the intake side of the pump, so the pump stays full of water. YOMV

Exactly ^^^^^

IF pump internal check valve is leaking and you put a check vlave in-line on discahrge side of pump the pump casing will depressurize and pressure switch will close causing pump to short cycle.

If you put that check valve in-line on pump suction side then pump casing stays pressurized and pump will only start when SYSTEM pressure drops from opening a faucet etc (OR leak in system)

OR
FIX pump internal chekc valve
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would put it on the intake side of the pump, so the pump stays full of water. YOMV

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Put it on the spigot and you're good to go....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't think it would matter, but I would put it after the pump if I used a separate valve. I would probably consider replacing the pump, and just go with pump installed valve.

Jerry