cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cedar Creek rear cap cracks

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2018 Cedar Creek new, and shortly after taking delivery noticed spider cracks in the upper corner of the rear fiberglass cap. We spoke with our dealer about this, and our dealer made arrangements with a local fiberglass repair company to repair the cap. We recently noticed that the area that was repaired has discolored (dulled out) and the clear coat is peeling. I contacted our dealer who told us this problem is now between us as the owners and the fiberglass repair company as we are now out of warranty. I stated to the dealer that I wasn't the one that chose this company the dealer did, and I was hoping the dealer would stand by me with this to get it rectified. Although out of warranty this repair should have lasted more then 4 years. They didn't want to hear of it. I next called Forest River who basically told me the same thing....any thoughts??? I must say not the response I expected from a premium 5th wheel company.
27 REPLIES 27

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The correct repair procedure is to sand the affected area and buff out the existing clearcoat from the area side to side and down about 4 or 5 feet. Then paint and then clearcoat, the complete cap area. Spotting the area will result in what you have. But to get back to the original problem. As another stated, Spider cracks are common and if it was me, I would NOT have the area repaired. I would have it noted with copies to the dealer and the Manufacturer. Spider cracks rarely expand, which is why they are called spider cracks. Both the Dealer and FR are correct in denying warranty. The OP should have(hindsights great) had a paper drawn up that listed what either the dealer or body shop or FR would be responsible for in time and what time. You state 4 years is not acceptable. I agree. BUT, WHAT would be acceptable? 5 years, 6 years, How many years?????? Doug

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem working with them. Only guaranteeing this for 90 days seems crazy. I guess what amazes me, is when you're in the market they promise you the world...different story once you hand them the check...

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best your going to get from any repair shop is 1 year, probably more like 90 days. What you might get is them to work with you to repair it again. They might treat you better if you want to work with them and approach it in a positive way. I don't think any repair shop on a trailer is going to warranty their work for 4 years.

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Barney - Four years to me is unacceptable. I've machine polished my vehicles regularly, so the issue is not maintenance related, as the clear coat is peeling. After looking into this more, I've come to find out the gelcoat wasn't prepped properly before the repair.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
yellow dog wrote:
Snip...Although out of warranty this repair should have lasted more then 4 years. They didn't want to hear of it. I next called Forest River who basically told me the same thing....any thoughts??? Snip....

I am not surprised at their response. After all it had been four years.
Most fiberglass surfaces will deteriorate after time and sun exposure - especially those on the front and back caps.

I would try to buff it out and apply a good wax or other preservative.
Spider cracks are not unusual in the corners of the thick caps and are usually just left alone. I have some on my trailer that have been there for about 15 years or more. You probably would have been best off to just leave them alone originally.
Good luck.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

dedmiston
way2roll wrote:
Camper445 wrote:
Forest River does not stand behind their products as I have personally found out twice, and are the reasons I will not go back. I wish you luck dealing with them. Don't get your hopes up.

My experience has been the exact opposite. I've had great support from FR.

Maybe you were more polite than him.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a call into the company that did the repair. I have not heard back yet.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Camper445 wrote:
yellow dog wrote:
We previously had a Jayco Eagle 5th wheel (2008), that had issues arise just out of warranty. I contacted my dealer, who worked with me contacting Jayco directly, and they stood behind their product. The difference is, the issue with Cedar Creek happened while it was new. Manufacturers that stand behind their product line is what keeps people coming back.

Forest River does not stand behind their products as I have personally found out twice, and are the reasons I will not go back. I wish you luck dealing with them. Don't get your hopes up.

My experience has been the exact opposite. I've had great support from FR.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Have you even contacted the company that did the work? Didi
they warrantee their work? How much will it cost for repairs if they didn't?

Camper445
Explorer
Explorer
yellow dog wrote:
We previously had a Jayco Eagle 5th wheel (2008), that had issues arise just out of warranty. I contacted my dealer, who worked with me contacting Jayco directly, and they stood behind their product. The difference is, the issue with Cedar Creek happened while it was new. Manufacturers that stand behind their product line is what keeps people coming back.

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
When I searched for a contact number for Cedar Creek, the only thing that kept coming up was a message stating to contact your dealer for any questions / issues. I then looked in a manual for a contact number, the only number I found was a contact number for Forest River.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
You said you spoke w/ FR. Was it FR or Cedar Creek? CC used to have awesome customer service, but sadly times may have changed since we owned one. If no luck there. just my $.02, but insurance or lawyer time?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"