cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cabinet Quality

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
At what price range do you get real wood cabinets and doors/drawer fronts instead of the MDF with a wood look lamination. It's so cheap looking.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
16 REPLIES 16

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Captain, NOT calling you a liar!

What are your interior walls made of? What are your shelves in the cabinets made of? What are your drawer bottoms made of?

I can go on but there is simply no way your rig has ONLY solid wood inside it!!!

Actually {and sadly, offense accepted } you are. ๐Ÿ˜ž

The examples you cite are made of solid wood... like I said no particleboard or plywood. Nexus like a few other quality builders uses Azdell in the walls, not Luann which is just another term for plywood. Azdell cost more to use but it is lighter than plywood, has a higher R value and will not absorb moisture. Initially Lance and Nexus were just about the only builders to use it but now many more like Winnebago are going that route on some if not all of their coaches.

Our coach is a 2012 and though I do know if they continue to use Azdell I have no idea if they still build them the same way. When we were at the factory in in 2015 they had started building the interior cabinetry in their factory vs subbing it out to the local Amish carpenters.

:R

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ACZL wrote:
CumminsV12... Holy molly you have a ton of cabinets in your BR.

YES, there would have been more except they finally said no more โ€œspecialsโ€
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
CumminsV12... Holy molly you have a ton of cabinets in your BR.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Captain, NOT calling you a liar!

What are your interior walls made of? What are your shelves in the cabinets made of? What are your drawer bottoms made of?

I can go on but there is simply no way your rig has ONLY solid wood inside it!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Nexus Class C but for what it is worth there is no, zip, zero, nada, particleboard or plywood anywhere in our coach. Back in 2012 they were still subbing out the custom maple cabinets to local Amish carpenters and the quality shows.

The really cheaped out rigs out there have the contact paper stuck to particle board or plywood and of course it looks like {pick your metaphor here knowing that accuracy will get you banned}... When you find that level of garbage in any RV you can bet the rest of it was built about as cheaply as is humanly possible.

Quality, solid wood cabinets do not warp or crack and are usually fitted with equally well built hardware. That has been our experience after 6+ years and 60K miles.

:C

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
My FW, on profile page, has solid maple doors and drawers, while the cabinets themselves may be MFD. My Yellowstone FW was the upper end of Gulf Steam, when I purchased it new. It had a retail price of 40K at that time (a great FW for the price,IMO). I am happy to say, most of my wood, or wood trim, does not look cheap.

Hope you are still enjoying the warmer Southern temps Rob!

Happily Holidays to you!

Jerry

Happy Holidays to you too Jerry! We're loving our time in Florida. It feels a little strange being in warm weather for Christmas and New Year though.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The biggest problem is people don't really know what quality is and aren't willing to pay for it anyway."

SO TRUE!!!

I have seen so many homes or RV's that people think are Quality. NOT

Simply pop out a shelf and look at the back side or edges, plywood or particleboard???

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just another thought, especially concerning RVs, is that in extreme conditions, temperatures/humidity, many real woods are more likely to warp or crack, than some manufactured wood types.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Actually, a lot of RV's have "real wood" cabinets. The door and drawer fronts are solid wood as are the framework. That real wood framework is however a cheaper grade of wood and is wrapped. Even our low end Wildcat was this way and could be considered "real wood". Below is a pic of our Arctic Fox.
You'll find very few trailers that use MDF/pressboard for the frames and they all use plywood for the body of the cabinet because it's much better than solid wood.
The back side of our cherry cabinets:

The biggest problem is people don't really know what quality is and aren't willing to pay for it anyway.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
My Montana Legacy edition has all Cherry wood cabinets and frames
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Grand Design Reflection has hardwood cabinet doors and drawer fronts. Narrow frame members are wrapped wood. Panels are stained cabinet plywood. I think we paid about 70% of MSRP at $43K in 2015.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We got real wood cabinets in our TT but that was awhile back.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well my Cherry Cabinets cost around 130k. There are a few components wrapped around them.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
IB853347201 wrote:
MH's from reputable builders like Tiffin, Winnebago, Newmar generally have very good quality, solid wood, cabinetry..

I agree but heโ€™s asking in the FW forum?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT