cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broke down in Foley Alabama Transmission Trouble

Mnwild
Explorer
Explorer
WE were on our way home to Mn when my transmission started to overheat 7.3 psd with E40d. Limped in to local Ford dealer. They said there diesel guy is on light duty and they are very busy.Might be able to look at it in 2- 3 days. Managed to get trailer to rv site near dealer ship where we are waiting. Wondering if I should call Ford dealers in Pensecola or Mobile to see if I could get it fixed sooner. Also would my Good Sam Roadside pay for tow the 30- 40 miles from one dealer to the other. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Ken
33 REPLIES 33

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
I hope all is going well for the original poster.

My experience suggests Independent(possibly small) transmission shops will be very responsive to travelers needing their vehicle.

Dealerships usually are too backlogged.

I've had two transmission "hiccups" while traveling and limp/poor performance results. Google transmission shops and try to find one close and maybe with good reviews.

Both times I needed help they got me in the same day and fixed it within hours while I waited.

Only exception was once when the COMPUTER failed (not the transmission as I thought) and we had to rent a car for a few days.
That's a really expensive repair!
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
If their guy is on "light duty" and can't get to your problem soon i would not let them touch it. What if he gets on sick leave right after they drop your transmission?? Will you sit there for days for weeks waiting on his return? Get to a reputable shop, rent a car and get r done right. Most generally mechanics like to take advantage of a guy on the road with an RV!! They know your options are limited and you are desperate. If you can, leave the trailer where it is and limp to another dealer. Don't mention having a 5th wheel nearby that you need to tow home. They will still have dollar signs in their eyes when they see your license plate.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Post in the "Help!" sections of one of the *several* Ford Diesel forums.
(Google: "Ford Diesel Forums".

There will be folks familiar with reputable shops in the area where you are......as well as advice for your tranny problem.

~

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Montreal some years ago and the trans sprung a leak, fluid everywhere. Vehicle is a 2005 Excursion with V10 and 4R100. Being far from home, and another country at that, I wanted the repair to be warrented nationwide in US or Canada, so the best option was bring it to the Ford dealer who serviced truck transmissions.

Turned out to be front seal, a $10 part, but big bucks to drop the tranny. Better IMHO to have this work done at Ford knowing that if the repair fails, you can get rework done at your local Ford dealer. If you get work done at a private shop, the only recourse would be to bring the vehicle back to the same unless there is a nationwide warranty that goes along within the repair.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
NorthernNeck,VA wrote:
I feel bad for the guy who is broke down. A lot of the posters on here trying to make it worse for him are really not helping his problem. That's why a lot of people post on here, get slammed and never repost.

We really don't need to know how smart you are or need to hear about your 41ft fifth wheel.

Just my 2 cents!!

NNK

Yes I agree, 100%

NorthernNeck_VA
Explorer
Explorer
I feel bad for the guy who is broke down. A lot of the posters on here trying to make it worse for him are really not helping his problem. That's why a lot of people post on here, get slammed and never repost.

We really don't need to know how smart you are or need to hear about your 41ft fifth wheel.

Just my 2 cents!!

NNK
Jimmy & Kathy
Northern Neck, VA.
2013 Landmark San Antonio
2016 F350
2005 Ford F350, DRW, Diesel (SOLD)
2005 King of the Road "Royal Villa" 34BW (SOLD)

"The amateur does it 'til he gets it right. But the expert does it until he can't get it wrong."

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Get in touch with Brian's Truck Shop )BTS) in Arkansas.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I don't see how this thread turned into the OP getting beat with a wet noodle and all the maintenance stuff.

He is broke and wants to get fixed - no. :h

x2. Some people on this site are absolutely brutal. Karma, folks!:R

OP, I feel sorry for your issues. I've had troubles away from home as well and it's the furthest thing from fun. Please keep us posted and try to ignore the negative posts.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure he will be fine Good Sam was going to reach out to him.

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Andrew's diesel service on hwy 31 in Spanish Fort. If they can't repair it, they will send you in the right direction.

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This recently happened to my brother in law. Trans temp gauge inoperative and truck went into limp mode. Ford wanted 1200.00 to replace temp sensor in tranny. He found a you tube video on it and took a chance changing part himself. Part was located in tranny pan under filter. Changed it out and replaced fluid and he was good to go,
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see how this thread turned into the OP getting beat with a wet noodle and all the maintenance stuff.

He is broke and wants to get fixed - no. :h

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
Limped to a dealer.Dont sound like he was towed.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Before/during the transmission starting to get hot, was it doing a lot of shifting? You probably know that causes a lot a heat in the torque converter and transmission.

What year is your truck? '97-ish?

In the later models you could pull the codes. The flashing OD means a transmission code is set. (Again, assuming it is same as 4R100)

I'm asking these things, because on a later model it could be as simple as a bad fan clutch. Do you have a solid fan or a fan clutch?

I replaced mine a few years ago when the engine would run about 15F-20F warmer than expected. Made a big difference.

I'd think it would be even more likely if you weren't moving very fast for air over the cooler.

Would be better than transmission issues 😉

Thanks for clearing up about the TC drain plug. I thought it was removed in later models but couldn't remember the years or enough to suggest someone else was incorrect. I try to be sure before I correct someone.

You know...fluid is cheap. Even pulling the drain plug to drain the pan and top off with new fluid could be an improvement until you get where you can get a proper and complete flush. Sounds like you know the procedure 😉

What are your plans now? Waiting on the transmission shop where you are...still in FL?