Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bolts pulled out of one corner of my awning

CoffeePat
Explorer
Explorer
Awning Repair.
Forgive me for just jumping in here but we're on the on the road & you folks are typically very helpful. Anyway, I have a 35', KZ 5th wheel & a 19' awning. And apparently some bad wood because two, 1/4 by 1 3/4" lag bolts pulled out with a gust of wind.
Aside from tearing into the wall to fix the studs, I'm thinking of my options for a quick fix because it too windy here to leave it open too long.
I'm thinking of trying the old stuffing toothpicks in the hole as filler,
Maybe a 1/2" longer lag bolt & hope it doesn't go thru the wall.
Bite the bullet & put a bolt all the way thru the wall...
I'd like to try filling the hole with epoxy & drill, screw into that but time & conditions take that out for now.
Other ideas? be nice...
I'm also wandering how well will it travel if I just get the top bolts in loosely? The bottom bolts are good & the awning itself holds it pretty well up against the RV. Might hold well enough to get us to the next site that isn't so windy.

โš Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to "member" issues with Open Roads Forum sites. Signatures, profiles, photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using this forum for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, visit the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic, and click the Post New Topic link. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT
6 REPLIES 6

CoffeePat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. I used an anchor in 1 hole, the tooth picks in the second & it's pretty snug. Will keep an eye on it & quit using it until I can repair properly. Thanks again for the help.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
The downside to electric awnings. ๐Ÿ˜ž All-in-all, I still prefer a manual.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Try something like these anchors, at least for a temporary fix.THESE

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
No suggestions on fixing the hole unless I was there to actually see it. But I can give you a suggestion: Leave the awning rolled up until you git it fixed right. The last thing you want is the awning to rip off or yank the rest of the screws out of the wood work. Keep it rolled up and don't use it until you get it fixed satisfactorily. Tooth pick may hold the screws in place long enough for you to get home, but a true fix is needed before using it again.

Good luck!

We had ours tear (or should I say, shred) last Summer when we were in South Dakota. One of the arms was slightly bend. Quite obvious a strong gust of wind caused the whole thing to pop up and down. I taped the awning up so it wouldn't rip any more, rolled it up and left it. We did the rest of the trip and finally home without the awing out. But there was no further damage to the awning arms, or the camper. Once home, we got it fixed, new arm and new awning.

So, even if you have no wind, keep the awning closed up, or one puff of wind, and you'll have even more of a headache.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
If the studs are rotted out from water intrusion, longer bolts and stuffing the hole with filler prabably won't work. The rotted wood is mushy and won't hold a screw. I've heard of liquid products that harden dry rot wood but never tried it. Drilling through the wall and through bolting it would certainly work but the thought of that just doesn't set well with me. Before I did that, I'd probably remove the awning until I could get the wall fixed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't drive without fixing it and I wouldn't fix it temporarily. Do it once and do it right.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad