cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tank leak on seasonally parked 5'er

PokerCamper
Explorer
Explorer
After buying our 2012 Keystone Cougar 26SAB used in 2014 for a great price, we traveled around for two seasons before this year deciding to park it for the season at a semi-local campground. We struck gold and made all sorts of friends, so we're staying, probably for a few years.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a slow drip underneath the RV and when I got down there, could tell the water was blue from my black tank chemicals ... bad news. I tried sealing it up with RV aluminum roof tape but wasn't really surprised when it didn't hold.

It's leaking from a barely perceptible crack around the center end drain hole and there's also a very slow leak from the valve. The valve is relatively new, replaced by the dealer in the spring of 2016 when the galley grey was replaced under extended warranty. My first thought was that they screwed up the valve replacement and cracked the tank. Sadly, the warranty has expired and even if it was active, I don't want to haul it out of the campground after we just got everything set up the way we want it this season.

So my options are try to seal the leak in some way or find a mobile repair guy to install a new black tank and valve on site. There are a couple of certified RV repairers in Vermont that I can call but I first thought I'd check with everyone here to see if there's a way I can DIY it to stop the leak. If pictures are necessary, I can do that next weekend when we're back down there to begin winterizing it, but if I can't repair the leak, my antifreeze is just going to run out and the tank will be dead on arrival next spring anyway.
15 REPLIES 15

PokerCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Keily wrote:
I don't know if this will help you or not, but it may help. I have helped an RV tech replace 2 black water tanks on 2 2012 Palamino 5th wheel trailers ,in the same campground, in the same season. What we discovered there was a hairline crack at the very top of the tank corner. It would only leak when the tank would get full and as long as the owner dumped every few days there was no problem.

Thanks, this is exactly what's happening with my tank but mine starts leaking as soon as it holds four or five flushes. The dripping just gets stronger the more full the tank gets, but as soon as I open the valve to dump, it slows down dramatically.

I'll try sanding the area down and applying the JB WaterWeld epoxy putty to see if that works.

PokerCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I appreciate it. I presume you're talking about JB WaterWeld Epoxy Putty? I've used their metal product before to fix a defect in my Blackstone Griddle so I'll get some and give it a try.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Another plug for JB Waterweld products.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
If you get that crack dried out completely and rough it down with say 220 sand paper and then get the JB on with a good coat, I bet your problem will be solved.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
I have used regular black ABS cement and fiberglass cloth to fix the bottom of an old cracked black tank. It worked great until the top started leaking the next year. Then it was time for new.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Keily
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this will help you or not, but it may help. I have helped an RV tech replace 2 black water tanks on 2 2012 Palamino 5th wheel trailers ,in the same campground, in the same season. What we discovered there was a hairline crack at the very top of the tank corner. It would only leak when the tank would get full and as long as the owner dumped every few days there was no problem. Anyway, the RV Tech checked with the manufacturer of the old tanks after the second one and he got them to replace the tank free of charge. So that would make one think that the manufacturer may be in someway may be admitting that there may have been a bad batch of tanks produced that year. Just something you may want to check into in case this may apply to you.

Good luck

steveksfc
Explorer
Explorer
I can say yes to the JB Weld for plastic. Used it on the outlet joint on grey and black water tanks that started dripping while camping over Memorial Day weekend. Dried the tanks out for a few days then applied the JB Weld. Since then we have made several trips and even had the tanks full before dumping and so far no more leaks.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan wrote:
This is the hot ticket for repairing cracks in ABS tanks. Plasti-Mend ABS Plastic Repair Kit for Holding Tank Repair"

Clicky

We tried this stuff, and it didn't work, even after 5-6 coats. Yes, we applied it correctly.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Years ago I used regular old JB weld on a plastic fuel tank in a car. Held for two years we had it after the repair. Worth a shot if you ask me.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I have used JB weld for plastic on many items. Since the camper won't be moving it may work. If you will be moving the camper any I'm not sure how it would do.

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is the hot ticket for repairing cracks in ABS tanks. Plasti-Mend ABS Plastic Repair Kit for Holding Tank Repair"

Clicky
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
on TV I see some magic tape that you can slap on over a hole in a water tank and it will seal?
bumpy

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
see previous 2
But the tank does not need antifreeze and it should be the same as you left it
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
What he ^^^^^ said!

Lyle