cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Birth of the toy hauler

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
A long long time ago over 40 years now, I owned snow mobiles, we would travel most weekends with our friends and kids and have a great time.
I also had an acquaintance who owned a RV dealership.
I went to him and floated the idea of buying a beater 24 ft travel trailer and gutting it then figure out how to open up the back to bring in a couple machines and live in the front part.
He told there was no way that would work and basically said it was a stupid idea. Huh!
Now everytime I go to a recreation area and see these toy haulers I realize that I was just underfunded and not brave enough to make something like that happen.
I know I probably wasn't the first to think about it, but there was nothing out there like that in mid 70's.

Jesseannie
19 REPLIES 19

drhutch
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhere around 20 years ago or so I would hunt Elk with my brother when he would come to Colorado. He had his cattle hauler set up so we had an LQ in the front of the trailer after taking the horses out. Tarps hung to keep out the weather and a goose blind heater and camp stoves. Lived like kings in that. On a group camp trip 2 years ago at a nearby lake one of the group had a 3 horse slant with LQ. The quarters in that were nicer than any of our campers / 5ers / trailers. Times have changed a bit. Of course my brothers trailer probably cost him around $6K this trailer was no doubt over $50K.
2016 Chevy 3500 CC Dually Dmax/Allison / Lance 980 11'3" camper / 30' Rockwood 5er
16' Sylvan fishing boat / 25' Sea OX Walk around big water fishing boat
NRA Life Member
US Army RVN 68-70
The summer of 69 was NOT the best years of my life.
RVing since 1976

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Riding near Ridgecrest/Inyokern this weekend (near the two shooting ranges) we started seeing a lot of horse poop on the trails, and then we saw a HUGE camp of horse trailers.

I told my wife & friends that I'd never seen so many LEQs before, as if I've known forever what that means. :B
That's funny!

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
dsrace wrote:
i know alpha was the first but i will always consider ww to be the first.

But the second isn't the first.

correct

🙂

dedmiston
Riding near Ridgecrest/Inyokern this weekend (near the two shooting ranges) we started seeing a lot of horse poop on the trails, and then we saw a HUGE camp of horse trailers.

I told my wife & friends that I'd never seen so many LEQs before, as if I've known forever what that means. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
dsrace wrote:
i know alpha was the first but i will always consider ww to be the first.

But the second isn't the first.
Bob

Y-Guy
dsrace wrote:
i know alpha was the first but i will always consider ww to be the first. the new ww coming out of the rv factory is no ww toyhauler! they are a high end camper like all the other built in indiana.

I agree, WW was Mark Warmoth. The RV Factory acquired the name, nothing more. I'd tried to follow his lawsuits to get them to stop using the name, but never found out the final results since Omega RV went out of business and Mark passed.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
i know alpha was the first but i will always consider ww to be the first. the new ww coming out of the rv factory is no ww toyhauler! they are a high end camper like all the other built in indiana.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
dudeonit wrote:
Actually Mark worked for Alpha Leisure who already was building Toyhaulers prior to opening up WW.

Alpha Leisure Toyhouse was the very first toy hauler I saw. I remember when I saw it - a dual sport motorcycle event in Oregon, July of 1995.

Later on I heard about Weekend Warrior. After the same dual sport event, in 1996, I went to a dealer in the Portland, OR area (Big Boys Toys) and looked at a few WW models. I couldn't believe how cheap looking they were at the time.

In 2003 I bought a Desert Fox 21SW. I kept it through 2009 when I decided to downsize to a truck camper and cargo trailer. I was getting tired of having to unload the motorcycle and leave it outside all the time when camped.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Thanks Jim.

if you didn't I woulda
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
Thanks Jim.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
LEQ or LQ is a common name for a horse trailer with "living quarters".
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dedmiston
JIMNLIN wrote:
Some of the first trailers I saw that were used to carry wheeled/motorized "toys" was in the late '50s using rear loading stock trailers.
Then in the early '60s we started seeing LEQs that many folks carried some type of wheeled off road vehicles loaded in the rear or side. Stock trailer were load ready with strong main frames made to carry heavy weights unlike a TT.
One of my neighbors today uses a LEQ loaded with horses and his/her Harleys when going to NM/CO.

Its interesting how all our mass produced RVs evolved from the early days when it was just small 16'-18' camp trailers.

OK. Help a brother out. What's an LEQ?

I just googled it and I assume you aren't talking about Long Essay Questions on the SAT exam.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the first trailers I saw that were used to carry wheeled/motorized "toys" was in the late '50s using rear loading stock trailers.
Then in the early '60s we started seeing LEQs that many folks carried some type of wheeled off road vehicles loaded in the rear or side. Stock trailer were load ready with strong main frames made to carry heavy weights unlike a TT.
One of my neighbors today uses a LEQ loaded with horses and his/her Harleys when going to NM/CO.

Its interesting how all our mass produced RVs evolved from the early days when it was just small 16'-18' camp trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, I see the Alpha toyhouse as the first, but WW sure built off that. Then everyone jumped into the market. The toyhauler was a very regional thing. I met some folks from MI at an ATV jamboree in the early 90's & they had never seen one.
I was in the biz, so I saw WW rise and fall. For the most part they did build a darn good coach.