Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best truck for large 5th Wheel

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

We need to order a new truck. I was wondering if you could share your experience towing a large 5th wheel (Solitude 378) and what truck you would recommend.

Leaning towards an F350 4x4 Crew Diesel but flexible.

Also, any input on 6.5 vs 8ft beds is welcome.

Thank you

MC
31 REPLIES 31

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
No way a semi truck with a much bigger engine and drivetrain towing the same RV as a DRW pickup is going to get better mileage.

empty no, loaded up with 16-20K of weight, all day long. there not even working at that weight.

Cummins12V98 wrote:
More money to maintain and most likely more to insure.

don't know about the US but when I looked into it registering it as a rv and insuring was quite a bit cheeper then my F350. maintence would probably work out to less over the life. instead of changing oil every 5-8000 miles you changing it every 150000 miles, or more. so even if its 3 times the cost its way cheeper over the long run. as for other parts ya it will cost more but the adverage person who buys a class 8 and converts it will most likely never have to deal with much as they just won't put the miles on it that will wear them out.

Cummins12V98 wrote:
I remember around 2011 when DRW pickups came out that could handle the big RVโ€™s people were selling their MD Freightliners as fast as they could and bought DRW pickups.

ya class & or MD truck suck, they were the worst of both worlds, they were bigger than a pick up, but pretty much had the same motor classes so they were heavy and under powered.

Cummins12V98 wrote:
Seat comfort? I have towed many 8-22 hour days and felt great.

good for you, I used to do that when I was young also. now with a bad back and knees from serving in the military for 20 years I find anything over 6 to 8 hours is enough (I can push it when I need to though) , but I can ride in my buddys class 8 for 12+ no issues. way better seats, I wish they would fit in my F350 haha

all this above is provided yyou can find the right truck. to register it as a rv it has to have so many features that are on a list at our local vehicle registration place. also you need to look for the right body/engine/trans/gearing combos to see the max fuel economy. some of the newer trucks are seeing 13mpg towing 80000 lbs trailers down the highway, I would love to see what they would get with only 16000 lbs and singled

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
No way a semi truck with a much bigger engine and drivetrain towing the same RV as a DRW pickup is going to get better mileage.

More money to maintain and most likely more to insure.

I remember around 2011 when DRW pickups came out that could handle the big RVโ€™s people were selling their MD Freightliners as fast as they could and bought DRW pickups.

When my truck for example is SAE rated to tow 30k+ there is no reason for a MD truck.

Seat comfort? I have towed many 8-22 hour days and felt great.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
I would say not even close to needed! When you see rear axle ratings and tow ratings of the current fleet of 3500/350's most have 5,500# Payloads and Diesel towing capacity around 25,000#.
I would not bat an eye carrying that 5er with our 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW.

It is hard enough to get people accept that they need a DRW to carry a large 5er, let alone a class 7 or class 8 TV!

They want big 5er's, but refuse to the difference between the ablity to carry, and the ablity to pull.

It's too BIG I can't go through the drive through, to hard to park in a parking lot, learn to back in to spaces!

I thought the same but my 5th is 16000K and I pull it with a F350. my paid off, low milage, F250 was to small to legaly carry it by rear axel weight so lets look at the cost. 50000 got me a used f350 and when towing I get about 10Mpg (US) if I would have spent 12-15K on a class 8 that was in deicent shape, had the rear singles (usaly no cost if they keep the mid drive axel) registered it as a RV built a deck and put a light duity air ride 5th hitch I would have been under 20K and what would I have got.

it would get 11 to 13mpg with that weight (assuming you buy the right setup) the seats would be way more comfortable for longer drive. true jake brake and engine brakes means you will hardly have to touch your brakes, the weight of the tractor means the trailer will never push you around as it is about the same weight as the trailer. when empty and runing to get groceries, it turns sharper than any 1 ton on the market so it is easy to manuver in a parking lot. the only disadvantages I can see are biger dogs. you would have to build a way for them to get up there or lift them, and you have to get your airbrake certification (but a class A has to get that also)

one more advantage is you just use it for your 5th wheel so its not a extra expence when your not using it like a normal pick up upgrade would be. in my case yes I would have spent about 15 to 20K but I would still use my f250 as a daily driver, and when I am traveling in the class 8, get better fuel milage. now I had to spend 50K still drive it all the time but get worse fuel milage when traveling.

not saying its for every one, I ended up getting a normal truck, although when I think back I regreat not getting a class 8, as it wouldn't matter what we get when we retire, I would be able to tow it.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for all the feedback. A dually is in out future at some point. It is obvious when 'old timers', respectfully speaking, that have been there done that seem to almost unanimously agree that when it comes to these large 5th wheels, a diesel dually is a must to be safe.

It is now a matter of wrapping our heads around having to use such a big truck and at times big expense for something other than towing a large 5th wheel.

MC

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Our Solitude is smaller but we still exceeded the payload rating on a SRW 3500. So dually it is for us.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cummins2014 wrote:
For some I am sure it's a want ,not necessarily a need . I entertained the idea at one time .Used was limited ,and a new one was just a bit more then I wanted to pay.

Agree on the want/need! A full time RVer usually needs a large heavy unit, for space/build quality, and may need a DRW/long bed to tow it. Most recreational RVers can tow their choice of RV, with a SRW, and standard bed.

I buy new, to get what I want, and not a lot of options I don't need. I need 4x4, nice seats, want carpet, some electronics.

Jerry

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
It is real simple folks. They make little trucks for little trailers and BIG trucks for BIG trailers. You need to select your trailer and then buy the appropriate truck to haul it. If you already have the truck, get the trailer that fits it.

We have been driving a DRW long bed F350 as the daily and only driver for about 10 years. You and the missus learn to park it farther out, forget most drive-thru lanes and how to back it.

Every day I see people pull in with a SRW truck and way too much trailer for it. They have to have a short bed SRW to fit in the garage at home or the wife refuses to drive a DRW truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, โ€œtows just fineโ€ until...........
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
For some I am sure it's a want ,not necessarily a need . I entertained the idea at one time .Used was limited ,and a new one was just a bit more then I wanted to pay.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say not even close to needed! When you see rear axle ratings and tow ratings of the current fleet of 3500/350's most have 5,500# Payloads and Diesel towing capacity around 25,000#.
I would not bat an eye carrying that 5er with our 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW.

It is hard enough to get people accept that they need a DRW to carry a large 5er, let alone a class 7 or class 8 TV!

They want big 5er's, but refuse to the difference between the ablity to carry, and the ablity to pull.

It's too BIG I can't go through the drive through, to hard to park in a parking lot, learn to back in to spaces!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a 17k 5er?

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
idealy a converted class 8 truck would be the best, and somtimes I wish I went that way myself.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yea ours is 10k also, must be the hips! WA State same but they display in 20# increments.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Russ you are among the very few that have a clue what their RV actually weighs.

Itโ€™s crazy how they never stop gaining weight, kinda like a Pig.

Ron, so true, see many towing big 40'+ 5er with stated GVWR of 16,000#+,, but ridiculous low payloads in the low to mid 2,000# range. A weekender may get away with a SRW, but full timer will be pushing the tires well beyond their limits.
Scaling in Oregon is easy just need a closed weigh station, the remote display that you can easily see from the drivers seat, and the scale is active. Yes, they only display in 50# increments, but close enough. I still have issues with our FAT TV, still scales at 10,000# ready to hook up.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"